I just saw the 'Road Worn' Fenders

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

the_blue_bomber
Orange Master

Post by the_blue_bomber » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 am

I just saw the new Fender "Road Worn" series guitars at my local Guitar Center. I know there are mixed feelings about them on this forum, but I don't know how many forum members have actually <i>seen</i> them. For what it's worth, I dare call them ridiculous.

The fretboard wear on the maple necks is ridiculous, because it's extremely worn from the nut up to the 8th fret, then from the 12th fret to the end of the neck. They appear to have been heavily played for decades, whilst the player meticulously avoided playing frets 9 thru 12.

The rosewood fretboard models had brown paint on the white plastic fretboard inlays. I know this because I actually saw the brush strokes when I looked at them up close.

Also odd was the lack of a natural-esque vintage tint to the neck finish. I've got guitars that are only 10 to 15 years old with a naturally darker tinted neck than these.

The pickguards looked like pages of an old book. They were bright white in the center and beige at the outer edges. That's not exactly what I'd call realistic. They reminded me of the antigua finishes from several years ago.

The body wood wasn't exactly top notch, either. The examples I saw were very heavy, and I was particularly puzzled by the set of small grooves cut into the edge of the Telecaster I saw.

All in all, jokeworthy.
I used to have more Orange stuff. Now I just have a PPC412 (black), and a Micro Crush.

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:55 am

Haven't seen one in person, but from the sounds of your review I can't imagine I will be seeing one anytime soon. Thanks for the heads up.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:42 am

That sounds absurd. I guess it's just Fender trying to hock off crappy guitars by saying they're meant to look like crap.
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

_Craig_
Orange Hero

Post by _Craig_ » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:18 pm

Looks aside, did you get a chance to actually play it? If so how was it?

Craig
'94 Standard Telecaster. Rickenbacker 4003. Orange AD30R. Ashdown 550 Touring.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:59 pm

I would be interested to hear a tone report.

My initial reaction is - who in their right mind would buy one of these when for <i>almost</i> the same dough they can get a brand new American Standard? Or even for <i>less</i> money get a used American Standard from the last 20 years?

But maybe I'm totally wrong - I don't really care how phony/fake looking the things are - what's important to me is - how do they sound? I'm assuming they have the regular MIM hardware/electronics - in which case I'm looking at upgrades - and now I'm <i>exceeding</i> the cost of a new American Standard.

I bet there will be some great deals on these in the used market in about 6 months though - so I hope maybe they do sound very very good - we'll see.
Greg

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Most of the MIM Fenders I have played had inferior wood.Very heavy.They don't interest me.I will stick with my Nocaster.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

zeppelin450
Orange Expert

Post by zeppelin450 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:16 pm

I believe Greg is right- the true character of the guitar is in the tone and playability rather than the looks; however, it seems pointless to buy one of these road-worn guitars for a couple reasons:

1) You know damn well there's an extra couple hundred dollars getting tacked onto the price for the wear.
2) Why not wear it down yourself. It'll be 10,000 times cooler and have the 'genuine' factor.
3) This is the guitarist equivalent of going to Abercrombie & Fitch to buy an $85 pair of pre-ripped jeans.

Disclaimer: If SOMEHOW these guitars have some distinct tone unattainable by any other fender model- buy away, son.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:48 pm

i remember when fender first introduced the 'custom shop relic' guitars and the other pseudo-vintage crap they're trying to pawn off as 'authentic' and 'the latest trend in guitar manufacturing technology' or whatever and just seriously laughing my ass off. honestly, i couldn't for the life of me figure out who would spend a couple grand on a guitar that's brand new but looks like it's been around for 40 years instead of doing the smart thing and buying a strat that'd actually been around for forty fxcking years. could probably spend a veritable assload less on a truly 'relic'd vintage guitar, at that.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:15 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zeppelin450</i>
<br />I believe Greg is right- the true character of the guitar is in the tone and playability rather than the looks; however, it seems pointless to buy one of these road-worn guitars for a couple reasons:

3) This is the guitarist equivalent of going to Abercrombie & Fitch to buy an $85 pair of pre-ripped jeans.

Disclaimer: If SOMEHOW these guitars have some distinct tone unattainable by any other fender model- buy away, son.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">HAHA true true!:D
Vince

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:33 pm

Yeah, I'd say buy a body from Warmoth, relic it yourself by putting really thin layer of lacquer on it and just play a bunch with it, and you'll be sittin' pretty. :)

zac_crocus
Orange Hero

Post by zac_crocus » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:15 pm

the are a disgusting disgrace.

http://www.myspace.com/crocusband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/user/crocusband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/pages/CROCUS/100921179958312" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.crocus.bigcartel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.holyroarrecords.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:23 pm

Some are better than others, apparently.
My local guitar store got 4 Road worn guitars in on Monday.
They sold one this first week.

I am even thinking about grabbing the 50s tele, and it doesn't look so "fake".
Plus the U shaped neck, 7.25 radius, 1.65 nut is what feels good to my hands, and the fact that it is paired with some larger frets is a big plus for me.

So, I would definitely say that some are better than others.
~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

nate33
Rocker

Post by nate33 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28 pm

i had a chance to check them out today and i was a bit disappointed as well.
i am a fan or relics so i was excited to see them. to me the relicing feels more like the strummer tele than my custom shop nocaster. not totally flat like the strummer but not that far off.
the bodies had that highway one feel, which to me didn't help the realness of the relic.
the one thing i couldn't get over was the wear on the necks. i have no idea how natural play would do that to the back of a neck. i didn't even plug one in just because the neck gave me chills.

jord123
Orange Hero

Post by jord123 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:35 pm

guitar md, are you a cardiologist???? nice scan. anyways does anybody actually know where they were made, I am guessing mexico(really 950 for a mex fender?) but have so far been unable to find any info, speaking of relics.......new post(it'll be jazzy!)
Rain..Ammunition

the_blue_bomber
Orange Master

Post by the_blue_bomber » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:04 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jord123</i>
<br />...does anybody actually know where they were made, I am guessing mexico(really 950 for a mex fender?) but have so far been unable to find any info...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
See, senyor.
I used to have more Orange stuff. Now I just have a PPC412 (black), and a Micro Crush.