Ah yes, this is why I loved Pink Floyd

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

rhrob
Tiny Terror

Post by rhrob » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:44 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bluz57</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by the orangewizard</i>
<br />Roger being...well,a roger.Ha ha,I love it! :)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That seem to be what he does best.:?I can do without the dark sociopolitical Bulls--- material like Animals and the Wall, alot of Waters material.An interesting read for those who want to know is the book by Nick Mason the drummer of Floyd. It gives an understanding what went on inside the band.

I have read the Nick mason book. Very interesting, even if your not really a PF fan.

I saw a documentary on the making of "The Darkside of The Moon" a while back and I think that made me appreciate their music even more. They used a mike stand to hold one end of the loop of tape for the sounds of the cash register and money dropping on the song Money.
Really ingenious stuff. As for albums I like DSoTM, Meddle and Wish You were here the best. My favorite PF song though is Comfortably Numb from The Wall. When Gilmour plays his solos I get goose bumps.

I aspire to be able to put that kind of feeling into what I play...

Rob
Previous Proud member #20 of the Tiny Terror Club
VoxAC100CPH
ppc412
Jeff Beck Strat
Jay Turser LP
Assorted Pedals

Ozweego412
Rocker

Post by Ozweego412 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:18 am

mmmmmm floyd!
Orange: AD15, AD30HTC, OR50H, PPC212 (WGS Reaper and Veteran 30)

sesroh
Orange Hero

Post by sesroh » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:13 pm

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is my favourite floyd album. I always liked Barrett's floyd better. My dad saw them in 68 with hendrix right before Syd left. I remember him telling me they only played a long Interstellar Overdrive and maybe Astronomy Domine. Then they left. He's seen Pink Floyd about a dozen times when they played a ton of university gigs around London before 1973.
ImageImage

yell tennis
Rocker

Post by yell tennis » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:56 pm

Cool video. I also prefer Barrett-era floyd... for me floyd without Syd is like lighter fluid without the spark.

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:17 pm

I'd have to say that overall,The Wall meant the most to me out of all their albums.I also love Gilmour's 1st solo album...Short & Sweet might be my single favorite guitar tone EVER! :)
Hugh

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:21 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by the orangewizard</i>
<br />I'd have to say that overall,The Wall meant the most to me out of all their albums.I also love Gilmour's 1st solo album...Short & Sweet might be my single favorite guitar tone EVER! :)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><u>Great</u> song!!! It was co - written by Roy Harper. Have you checked out the version (also with Gilmour on guitar) on his 'The Unknown Soldier' album? I actually prefer that version! :)
http://www.royharper.co.uk/shop/product ... ucts_id=14

Leon, I saw PF twice on the '94 tour, first in Rotterdams hugh Feyenoord Stadium, then Earls Court, London.

The Rotterdam show started with no flash bang wallop at all. Just 4 guys walking out and playing Astronomy Dominie - brilliant!8)

NDH.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:35 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by a.hun</i>
<br />Leon, I saw PF twice on the '94 tour, first in Rotterdams hugh Feyenoord Stadium, then Earls Court, London.

The Rotterdam show started with no flash bang wallop at all. Just 4 guys walking out and playing Astronomy Dominie - brilliant!8)

Wow, very cool. I think they were all very fond of SB. Glad to hear that they were still pulling out some of the old stuff as late as '94 (of course...that was already 15 years ago--YIKES!!!).

Oranges and Lemons
Orange Hero

Post by Oranges and Lemons » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:36 pm

That was fantastic. I'd never heard that before.

Thanks Leon!
Flip

scottdavis
Rocker

Post by scottdavis » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:59 pm

first solo i tried to nail was 'another brick in the wall' - a beautifully constructed peice of music.

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:20 am

Barrett-era floyd is completely different from Gilmour-era. Barrett completely typified acid rock- nothing else came close (maybe ladyland hendrix). But that also meant that sometimes it was harsh, disjointed not exactly rhythmic and well....crazy. I love both, but I would have to say Gilmour is more listenable.

Edit- What am I thinking? I love Piper At the Gates of Dawn. Once I start listening to that album I cant stop. Man....

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:21 am

I think Gilmour had a hand in defining acid rock...maybe it's just me...

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:03 am

I've been on a major Floyd kick recently. Meddle, Wish You Were Here and Animals are really hitting me hard right now.

All 5 (or 6 or 7) solos on "Dogs" are so incredible, especially the 2nd (+5th?). Basically, heart stopping.

I don't have a definitive favorite era, and really do appreciate and love all 3 "regimes" (Barrett -> Gilmour/ All 4 of them -> Waters). I was really sad when Rick Wright died last year.

polishdog90
Rocker

Post by polishdog90 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:31 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pacemaker</i>
<br />I've been on a major Floyd kick recently. Meddle, Wish You Were Here and Animals are really hitting me hard right now.

All 5 (or 6 or 7) solos on "Dogs" are so incredible, especially the 2nd (+5th?). Basically, heart stopping.

I don't have a definitive favorite era, and really do appreciate and love all 3 "regimes" (Barrett -> Gilmour/ All 4 of them -> Waters). I was really sad when Rick Wright died last year.

You happened to pick my 3 favorite Pink Floyd albums. I would order them:
Wish You Were Here
Animals
Meddle

As much as I love Syd era Floyd, I'm happy the band progressed the way they did. They were constantly evolving and writing great music. I have all of their albums and I enjoy every one. Plus, the world is a better place because of Gilmour's guitar playing.

Brutalitarian Supremacy
Rocker

Post by Brutalitarian Supremacy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 pm

I love the Syd era Floyd...but I think Camel's first 4 Albums are better than anything the Floyd ever did...also really dig Captain Beyond!
Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul...Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.myspace.com/wearevarulvorden

Pacemaker
Orange Expert

Post by Pacemaker » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brutalitarian Supremacy</i>
<br />I love the Syd era Floyd...but I think Camel's first 4 Albums are better than anything the Floyd ever did...also really dig Captain Beyond!

I just fell in love with your Strat. That thing is beautiful!