Speakers

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

musicman_1300
Rocker

Post by musicman_1300 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:29 pm

What speakers (other than the Vintage 30) work well in a 1x12 open back cab?
Amps: 67' AC30 TB
Timefactor, #3 proto MP FGC, Katana, Rat, Joyride, BB preamp, BJF PGC all controled w/Musicom.

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:37 pm

the Celestion G12m, these speakers are just awesome for all styles and for the price you can't go wrong.

damn there are many, what sound are you going for, Metal or ?

i personalty hate the Vintage 30 for loud playing,

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

musicman_1300
Rocker

Post by musicman_1300 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:43 pm

Mainly Rock and stuff requiring picking dynamics. Basically I which I had a speaker similar to the vintage 30, maybe a tad smooth, more bass and no mid spike. I like the vintage 30 I have at lower volumes, higher volumes is a different story. Is the G12M a brighter or darker speaker when referenced to the Vintage 30.

So far I've tryed and Eminence GB12 16 ohm: Its to bright. I think its made for a closed back cab.
Timefactor, #3 proto MP FGC, Katana, Rat, Joyride, BB preamp, BJF PGC all controled w/Musicom.

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:53 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by musicman_1300</i>
<br />Mainly Rock and stuff requiring picking dynamics. Basically I which I had a speaker similar to the vintage 30, maybe a tad smooth, more bass and no mid spike. I like the vintage 30 I have at lower volumes, higher volumes is a different story. Is the G12M a brighter or darker speaker when referenced to the Vintage 30.

So far I've tryed and Eminence GB12 16 ohm: Its to bright. I think its made for a closed back cab.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

i thing the G12M is just all-around nice. its not as harsh as the V30.

the G12M has been a classic rock speaker for many years.

wait for the real speaker pros's chime in, you will get some great opinions. im not to experienced with a wide rang, all i can say is that i bought an old Marshall cab with 70's G12m's and iv yet to find a better rounded sounding cab. my PPC412 has the factory 30 watt Eminence Governors, this cab rocks, more on the low end punchier side, another wonderful sounding piece of gear. great blues sound. and for Metal/Rock it has that low end kick that fills the room with vibe.

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

musicman_1300
Rocker

Post by musicman_1300 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:05 pm

Funny cause I was thinking about trying the Governor next, but wanted to wait and get some response from others so I buy another speaker then sale it. I two Eminence GB12 sitting around my house, but 2x12 to pop them into. I don't want to buy another speaker and have it sitting around too.

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:16 pm

I have at least 10 good speakers sitting around unused from endless trials - it's part of the 'relentless pursuit of tone' - I ended up liking a Hellatone 60 in my 1X12 best - go figure

best of luck!

musicman_1300
Rocker

Post by musicman_1300 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:25 pm

Hahaha. I wish I had the money to do that, but Im a college student living with my parents. They wouldn't be to happy if I started a speaker collection. Although I on the other my father did just get a surround sound system. I could make my surround sound with amps and cabs instead.:D

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:10 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by musicman_1300</i>
<br />Mainly Rock and stuff requiring picking dynamics. Basically <b>I which (wish? ;)) I had a speaker similar to the vintage 30, maybe a tad smooth, more bass and no mid spike</b>. I like the vintage 30 I have at lower volumes, higher volumes is a different story. Is the G12M a brighter or darker speaker when referenced to the Vintage 30.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The G12M(25) Jon mentioned is indeed a great speaker, but to my ears very vintage sounding and nothing like the V.30. Not sure if it is what you are after from your description. It is all about wonderfully warm mids, with fairly muted, (shy even), mellow lows and highs, early breakup and generally fuzzy vintage type distortion when pushed.

If you are wanting something closer sounding to a V.30 but smoother, no upper mids peak, and fuller in the bass, than I'd strongly suggest that the G12<b>H</b>-30 is your job. It sounds great for clean through overdrive sounds, is later to break up than the 'M', but does so earlier than the V.30. Promise!!! :)

NDH.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:15 pm

<br />Mainly Rock and stuff requiring picking dynamics. Basically I which I had a speaker similar to the vintage 30, maybe a tad smooth, more bass and no mid spike. I like the vintage 30 I have at lower volumes, higher volumes is a different story. Is the G12M a brighter or darker speaker when referenced to the Vintage 30.

A heritage G12H. IMO

Brutalitarian Supremacy
Rocker

Post by Brutalitarian Supremacy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:17 pm

I like Eminence's Texas Heat....great open back speaker
Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul...Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.myspace.com/wearevarulvorden

Joshlespaul1952

Post by Joshlespaul1952 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:18 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joey22</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by musicman_1300</i>

A heritage G12H. IMO
+1

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:53 pm

See my recommendation here: I still stand by it for AD series amps.

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=32729

Century Vintage will be best for the sort of worship stuff you want to do, assuming you do most of the modern sounding stuff...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:56 pm

... although it has to be tempered according to what sound you want to achieve. Go with a CV for the AD15.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

musicman_1300
Rocker

Post by musicman_1300 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Thats for the informations everyone.. Im going see if I can find a local store with the Century Vintage and the G12H-30... and pick one of those to when I sale to two speakers I have. I keep yall posted. Thanks for the helpful info.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:00 pm

The Heritage speaker will be a bit more balanced than the V30, but the V30 will have more bite on dirt sounds, and you might well find you prefer it to the G12H heritage. Clean, the G12H will beat the socks off it.

You will find the Century Vintage is as balanced as the G12H, but is more open sounding... that's principally due to the neodymium magnet. The G12H will have a more retro-sounding woofy crunch, whilst the CV will be closer to the Vintage 30, but without the harsh spike.

Might be worth picking up a couple of used versions on eBay to compare as no telling if you'll get two versions in the same cab at your local store.
Joe

G(sus) saves