What are some good choices?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

musicman_1300
Rocker

Post by musicman_1300 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:40 pm

I've been playing my AD15/12 for a while and love it a low volumes, but when I played outside my church I noticed the harsh mids when I turned it up about halfway. So after searching for a month I bought a used Emience GB12 speaker with 20-25 hours. After played the the speaker for five or minutes The first thing I noticed about the GB12 was how bright it sounded compared to the vintage 30. It made the V30 sound thicker. I loved the GB12 when playing clean, every note picked or strummed bloomed out crystal clear. However, when I turn the gain up to get a slight break up. The my opinion changed. The break up was very harsh at the least to say.

To some this up. What are some speakers that work well with the Orange AD series or sound similar to the V30 with out the mid range spike.

One other question I was wondering about, Is the greenback a brighter speaker than the Vintage 30?

Thanks ahead to everyone who replies and Merry Christmas to everyone here!
Amps: 67' AC30 TB
Timefactor, #3 proto MP FGC, Katana, Rat, Joyride, BB preamp, BJF PGC all controled w/Musicom.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi mate,

Know exactly what you mean. The V30 is quite flat and cardboard-like for clean sounds, but does the dirt nicely... a Greenback is woollier-sounding and not really brighter. It'll give you some nice thick clean warm sounds, but not really bright.

I have an AD30 and swapped out to a Celestion Century Vintage. It's got less of a peak in the upper mids, and the neodymium magnet sounds cleaner & sweeter than the V30 magnet. So you've got a real nice sweet clean sound, but most importantly, it does dirt really well. It's sort of halfway between an alnico blue and a V30.

Give it a go, and I bet you it's what you'll need. Covers all your bases if you do contemporary worship styles at church.

Take a look at the amp valves as well... may wish to fiddle with that.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

musicman_1300
Rocker

Post by musicman_1300 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:33 pm

Thanks for the info.. I've tried a could of different tubes that have on hand, I keep a GE tube that sounds thick/more rounded and a couple of other crisper sounding tubes.

Just wondering Joe do you have a combo or head and cab?
Amps: 67' AC30 TB
Timefactor, #3 proto MP FGC, Katana, Rat, Joyride, BB preamp, BJF PGC all controled w/Musicom.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:58 pm

Combo.

The speaker swap sounds like your best bet then - a Century Vintage will sound very bright and toppy for a bit, but break it in and then you're good to go. Very light speaker also... 3.5kg lighter than a V30. I'm pretty sure that's your best bet: for worship, a CV will sound better for you than a Greenback.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...