Multiple possibly ignorant questions

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:27 pm

I'm relying on the Christmas cheer to check my ego for a few moments and ask some questions that I possibly should already know the answers to....

1) Have I got this (halfway) correct? An output transformer will die a painful death if no speaker load (e.g., cable not connected to cab) exists because the 'juice' builds up but has nowhere to go.

2) Anyone play a guitar with a sanded neck (on the back/heel side)? I really don't care for heavy lacquer, poly or other glossy finish on a neck. If you have bare wood showing on the back of the neck how did you get it that way? Are there drawbacks to this approach, i.e., instability/inconsistency as a result of the exposed wood gaining/losing moisture etc? Carvin was pushing their tung oil finish for years...seemed to be as close as they got to an unfinished wood feel.

3) Not a comment on my Orange's future reliability (it's been rock solid so far in two months of gigs/practices) but if I don't have a backup amp or don't take one along what are my options in terms of sending my output to the PA? I have an extensive pedal board and although it wouldn't be MY sound (egotistical term) I would be able to get something serviceable to use at the end of my signal chain. Is a direct box the answer? One of those Crate mini amps? One of the smallest POD units? Another idea I've not yet covered?

Thanks for your patience & wisdom......

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:47 pm

I.) Correct! It's not guaranteed to wreck the OT but don't risk it!!

2.) That's a tricky one.....they reckon it's not good in the long term to have bare wood ........but many of my necks are almost bare wood...but I believe finger grease and hand sweat will work it's way in to the wood and end up forming a coat. I know Warmouth don't guarantee bare finishes.....

3.) Just get a cheap Pod or similar with a line out. It won't be the same as your amp but it will get you through the gig. I had to use a Pod once when my Fender broke down......the Pod saved the day. Nobody in the audience noticed!
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

robchappers
Orange Expert

Post by robchappers » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:48 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jangle</i>
<br />I'm relying on the Christmas cheer to check my ego for a few moments and ask some questions that I possibly should already know the answers to....

1) Have I got this (halfway) correct? An output transformer will die a painful death if no speaker load (e.g., cable not connected to cab) exists because the 'juice' builds up but has nowhere to go.

2) Anyone play a guitar with a sanded neck (on the back/heel side)? I really don't care for heavy lacquer, poly or other glossy finish on a neck. If you have bare wood showing on the back of the neck how did you get it that way? Are there drawbacks to this approach, i.e., instability/inconsistency as a result of the exposed wood gaining/losing moisture etc? Carvin was pushing their tung oil finish for years...seemed to be as close as they got to an unfinished wood feel.

3) Not a comment on my Orange's future reliability (it's been rock solid so far in two months of gigs/practices) but if I don't have a backup amp or don't take one along what are my options in terms of sending my output to the PA? I have an extensive pedal board and although it wouldn't be MY sound (egotistical term) I would be able to get something serviceable to use at the end of my signal chain. Is a direct box the answer? One of those Crate mini amps? One of the smallest POD units? Another idea I've not yet covered?

Thanks for your patience & wisdom......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi Jangle,

Q1) Yes you are right

Q2) I hate lacquer to mate, take it to a good luthier who will sort you out, that' what I did.

Q3) Always take s spare set of tubes and fuses to a gig, best of all take a spare head :) If you care about your tone that much don't go the DI route.

Hope that helps, happy christmas

Chappers
Rob Chappers
Monkey Lord
uk.youtube.com/RobChappers
http://www.monkeylord.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.chapmanguitars.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

notagain

Post by notagain » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:25 am

I have sanded down the back of many necks and
have always used tung oil as the only finish,
it soaks into the sander wood very nicely and give
you the feel you are probably looking for and protects
the wood...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:25 am

1. Output transformers will blow if not connected to a speaker cab at the right impredance. Don't know about 'juice' but I think they basically melt down.

2. Raw wood will absorb moisture- humid months will wreak havoc on it unless you do something to it. My older guitars are worn down to bare wood in spots but I waxed/ polished them. Even my rosewood fingerboard guitars are lemon oiled. The first SRV Strats were finished with superglue.

3. It doesn't matter what brand amp you have, being prepared for a problem will only help you in the long run. I sometimes bring a spare head with me although I've never used it. A lot of our gigs are in the town where I live so worst case scenario I'd have to fly home and grab something. A POD might get you through a gig but you'll hate yourself for the tone you're getting.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:51 am

The transformer thing is more like the transformer wants to complete the circuit presented on the output to make the input side happy, and since not having any speaker on there presents an infinitely large load (because air doesn't conduct at all at the voltages we're using on the output of tube amps, thus it's like 100000000000ohm ;)), it can't bridge the gap and will burn itself out trying.

I've never tried the bare wood neck thing, but I'd look into maybe a hard wood that doesn't need a finish, like canary or someone of the like. Check out http://www.warmoth.com for more, that's where I go to look at wood types.

I've gigged a few times using the SansAmp pedals of one type or another, and while that won't outdo your amp, it has saved my butt with tones better than you'd expect.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:11 pm

1. Bang bang time.
2. I don't like a heavy finish, so I tend to take VERY light gauge sandpaper and then steel wool to my guitar necks and end up with a satin finish on necks that have been lightly glossed. As the other guys say though, it depends whether the place where you live has high humidity, but either some sweat and hand grease, or a light coat of tung oil will sort it out after, and will leave you with a non-glossy finish.
3. Have something in place to do it, even if it's a POD. It's one thing in favour of having a good set of dirt pedals, so even if your amp dies, you can run into a DI with the pedals in front and get something approximating good tone with some nice preamp / dirt pedals.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...