ART preamps?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Art
Rocker

Post by Art » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:10 pm

I'm currently using the on-board pre's in my mbox2, however I feel like I could do a bit better than these. Does anyone have any experience using the ART preamps? Would these be a worthwhile upgrade, or not?

It's only for home recording so I don't want to spend a massive amount, but would appreciate any views on this!

AND... while we're at it, has anybody found an alternative (for home recording) to mic'ing up a loud amp (ie decent modellers, speaker emulated loads etc.), or is there no way around cranking the amp?

Cheers guys! :D
~Joe

Fender Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan Hotrails into
Orange Rocker 30 Combo+PPC212 Cab.

http://www.myspace.com/artsgotagun

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:23 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Art</i>
<br />I'm currently using the on-board pre's in my mbox2, however I feel like I could do a bit better than these. Does anyone have any experience using the ART preamps? Would these be a worthwhile upgrade, or not?

It's only for home recording so I don't want to spend a massive amount, but would appreciate any views on this!

AND... while we're at it, has anybody found an alternative (for home recording) to mic'ing up a loud amp (ie decent modellers, speaker emulated loads etc.), or is there no way around cranking the amp?

Cheers guys! :D
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I use two ART DPS II preamps in my rack. They're great for the price. I don't need their ADAT anymore like I used to, but that was the main selling point for me at the time.
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:36 am

I have the two channel tube pre-amp from about 4 years ago. Very good pre-amp for the money. Very nice warm sound, not much noise, can adjust the sound easily. Even if you get more expensive pre-amps down the road, you will still use the ART because it is still way better than the pre-amps you have built in now.

This may sound stupid, but I didn't know it until I had my ART for a while: turn down the pre-amp pot all the way on the mixer to get it out of the signal path and let the ART do all the work. Much better sound.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Art
Rocker

Post by Art » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:52 am

Cool, thanks guys, looks like that'll be my next purchase then!
~Joe

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:54 am

If you're looking at recording your Rocker 30 combo, I'd just say crank it. It's a bit of a hassle, I had to have a house all to myself (well, to the band) because I was cranking it.

Here's what I was using for meself:

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:21 pm

I'm sorry to disagree but they aren't <i>that</i> great; pretty much the bottom of the totem pole as far as preamps go. They did make a tube compressor that was pretty decent though. What's your price range?

cassiopamusic
Orange Expert

Post by cassiopamusic » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:33 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spoonie g</i>
<br />I'm sorry to disagree but they aren't <i>that</i> great; pretty much the bottom of the totem pole as far as preamps go. They did make a tube compressor that was pretty decent though. What's your price range?

+1...honestly i would just use the pres in the mbox 2 and save up for some better pres, but if you must, the mpa gold isnt too bad if you swap the tubes out.
zac
RF

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:28 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cassiopamusic</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spoonie g</i>
<br />I'm sorry to disagree but they aren't <i>that</i> great; pretty much the bottom of the totem pole as far as preamps go. They did make a tube compressor that was pretty decent though. What's your price range?

+1...honestly i would just use the pres in the mbox 2 and save up for some better pres, but if you must, the mpa gold isnt too bad if you swap the tubes out.

Yeah unless you <i>have</i> to buy now, save up. Ebay is your friend.

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:53 pm

....and actually probably the best budget pre you can get os the FMR Really Nice Preamp. If you must go cheap, get that one.

Art
Rocker

Post by Art » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:01 pm

Well I'm a student so money really is an issue, however my girlfriend pointed out that my church has enough free time and space for me to go down there, crank my amp and record. The bonus being that we have a really nice Allen+Heath mixing desk which is at my disposal! Think I may go that route and use the pre's on that into the line-ins of the mbox.

Thanks for all the opinions guys, as always you've been a great help.
~Joe

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 am

'Tis true... however make sure they don't mind. Whilst it sounds a bit arsehole-ish, that's not the reason the church is there. And if they say yes to you - unless you're recording an album for the church of course - then they may have to say yes to everyone to be fair, and then it can get out of control.

Just be aware that if you're asking them, you might be putting them in an uncomfortable position... so I wouldn't be asking to borrow their setup down there if it's just for casual stuff, but rather you've already recorded all your basic ideas and you're at the point where you need a more finished product.

Likewise, on topic, I never thought of ART as that good a name. Have to confess i'm going on reputation rather than experience, so i'll have to give some of their stuff a go to validate that...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:54 am

If you want a cheap preamp, look for an Alto instead of an Art. Better sound quality.

If you want most bang for the buck, check out the FMR Audio really Nice Preamp:
http://www.mercenary.com/fmrrnmp.html

These preamps are really great!
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:25 am

Gotta say I have been using an ART tube pre for over a year now and got no complaints about the sound.
Use it for stereo micing my R30 head with PPC212 and get good results even at lowish volumes.

I DI bass through it and get good results

Vocals are excellent thru the ART. OK so I use a Rode condenser mic which cost a lot more than the ART, but the vocal sound is full and warm with crisp Highs that cut right through.

Ok so it is no Focusrite, but as I am only using it for composing material and laying down the parts for the band to learn, it represents good value for money.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:32 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br />If you want a cheap preamp, look for an Alto instead of an Art. Better sound quality.

If you want most bang for the buck, check out the FMR Audio really Nice Preamp:
http://www.mercenary.com/fmrrnmp.html

These preamps are really great!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spoonie g</i>
<br />....and actually probably the best budget pre you can get os the FMR Really Nice Preamp. If you must go cheap, get that one.

;)

Art
Rocker

Post by Art » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:48 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br />'Tis true... however make sure they don't mind. Whilst it sounds a bit arsehole-ish, that's not the reason the church is there. And if they say yes to you - unless you're recording an album for the church of course - then they may have to say yes to everyone to be fair, and then it can get out of control.

Just be aware that if you're asking them, you might be putting them in an uncomfortable position... so I wouldn't be asking to borrow their setup down there if it's just for casual stuff, but rather you've already recorded all your basic ideas and you're at the point where you need a more finished product.

Well I lead the PA team down there, so I know what I'm doing and can take good care of the gear etc., they're also pretty good with letting people use the building for stuff when it's not in use. Obviously there's no harm if there's no-one else there! Other people use it for band practices etc. so it shouldn't be a problem really!
~Joe