Best way to run ALOT of pedals?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

guitarmy50
Orange Expert

Post by guitarmy50 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:37 am

In one of my bands I run quite a few pedals (usually around 15, no less than 12) and there is definitely a loss of high end at the end of the chain. I have zero knowledge about effects loops and the like, and this is probably the first time I've really tried to pay attention to signal degradation. I try to keep my cables as short as possible and I run a clean boost at the end to juice the signal back up a bit. Is that moving in the right direction? Would an amp with an effects loop clear this problem up? I can't afford to run less pedals for this, but I need a very pristine clear clean still. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:55 am

I'd make sure the first pedal you have in your chain is NOT a true bypass pedal, but has a really nice buffer (as in, when the pedal is off, it's still buffering/boosting the signal). That will help out with a lot of issues down the line. Boosting the end of the signal chain won't replace the lost stuff from the front of the chain.

BobbyBert
Rocker

Post by BobbyBert » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:56 am

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:06 am

I wouldn't even say you need to go that far, those those look like really cool ideas. You can build a buffer that fits in a small box and has an on/off switch for less than $30.

billynightingale
Orange Master

Post by billynightingale » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:15 am

Quality patch cables can make a world of difference. I was made a believer when i decided to upgrade my patch cables. I was running somewhere between 15 and 18 pedals on my board, and I just couldn't stand how things were starting to sound. Good quality patch cables really brought everything back to life. Also, if by any chance you have a whammy 4 on your board, throw it behind a true bypass loop. Those things suck tone like no ones business. Just thought I'd throw that out there as your running a ton of effects and it could very well be one of them.
Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
Bad Cat 2x12

Jazzmaster, Telecaster, Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack , MXR EVH Phase 90, Creation Audio mk 4.23 boost, Danelectro CC Fuzz, Ibanez de-7, boss cs-3, boss dc-2, Dr. Scientist Reverberator, TC Nova Delay

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:44 am

I need to see a photo of this here pedalboard. Is it the size of a truck?
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:55 am

Neil's got some good advice - you want to move that clean booster to the front end of the chain or put a buffering pedal in first. The clean boost isn't much good there anyway as all it is doing is boosting the diminished signal.

A buffer pedal is basically something that is high input impedance, low output impedance - an old school Boss pedal would be OK (although they have their own problems), but as I said, a lot of pedals would do the job. I use my Blackstone Mosfet.

Well done on the short cables runs - good idea. Also use good quality cable rather than the cheap moulded patch cable multipacks you get.

Another idea - use a true bypass looper to take pedals out of the signal path that you don't use very often. Eg. I have my wah, chorus, flanger, trem and a 2nd delay in a loop that doesn't get used too often.

Finally, use your amp EQ to adjust for any loss of tone until you get your desired sound back whilst running through the effects.

I also run through about 10 effects, and tend not to have any trouble these days.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:37 pm

The best way to run a lot of pedals is to run them in to a ...............skip!! Jeese!
Do you get any guitar signal going in to the amp? :D
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:46 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianGT</i>
<br />The best way to run a lot of pedals is to run them in to a ...............skip!! Jeese!
Do you get any guitar signal going in to the amp? :D
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Oh - Bendman made a funny! Super Hero of tone - AND comedy! [:p]

I run a number of pedals too (from 10-14 usually). I have a whammy IV and I have no tone loss. How? I start my chain with a SHO after the Korg PB tuner. It give a nice 5 meg impedance boost. Keeps the signal stong and clean until it hits the Whammy. :) Seems to help a lot. I also run a Sex Drive right before the Whammy (has a nice buffer in it). Maybe that is helping too.

I also run a good number of pedals (3-6 time based/modulation stuff) into the effects loop. Keeping them out of the chain in front I think helps some - but I don't think it's critical to have a loop. I frequently run all of the pedals out front in amps that have no loops with virtually no tone loss (that I could detect).

I think it's more important to have a some boosters and buffers in the chain than to have an amp with an effects loop. Find ones that will work for you. I found that having all true bypass pedals really didn't help. The signal really cleared up when I started adding pedals with buffers and boosts. My two cents.
Greg

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:41 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Oh - Bendman made a funny! Super Hero of tone - AND comedy!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thank you! I take a bow! :oops:
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:54 pm

true bypass is a major marketing gimmick

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Although it's handy if your old wahs suck tone... I got my Vox wah bypassed. Pretty handy for that.

Shouldn't be a problem if the pedal is well designed. I have a mix of both these days... no problems here.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Are you running a Boss TU-2? Aren't those buffered guys? I run my tuner first in the chain. Maybe that would solve it?

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

notagain

Post by notagain » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:12 pm

I my opinion the Best way to run alot of pedals is
NOT to run alot of pedals! Why mask your tone?

I find a tuner and 2-3 pedals at a time more than enough.
I just take the pedals I know I will use for that evenings
gig, show or jam session.

But that's me...just the guitar and amp is more than enough
almost always, I view pedals as added baggage that just get in
the way of what your true tone should be....

I still own a ton of pedals, but am using them less and less and less.

This would be a normal setup for me these days, less a tuner...at home.

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:36 pm

as the lone guitar in my band, I like to expand and sweeten my tonal palette with delay, chorus, wah, and a few other tasty effects

I've A/B'd with no pedals, 3 or 4 pedals and my full pedalboard - hardly any tone change at all - and that's playing alone

with my band, there's no discernable difference at all

my "true tone" is what you hear when I play

(and first in line after my wireless is a Boss TU-2 - maybe that's what helps)