I need a new pedal

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:53 pm

Sorry, I forgot to write 'lo fi and disgusting most of the time IN MY OPINION'... I know how touchy this forum gets about strong opinions currently :D

But seriously, like I say I do love Pavement, just not a big fan of their early production values... I love Terror Twilight the best, and I think the more polished sound has a lot to do with that, sinful as that might be in some schools of thought. A good example for me is the song In The Mouth A Desert, which is one of my favourites of theirs, but I have live versions of that song which really rock and feel a lot better than the rather dry album track. Um, IN MY OPINION. :D
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:42 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br />Sorry, I forgot to write 'lo fi and disgusting most of the time IN MY OPINION'... I know how touchy this forum gets about strong opinions currently :D

But seriously, like I say I do love Pavement, just not a big fan of their early production values... I love Terror Twilight the best, and I think the more polished sound has a lot to do with that, sinful as that might be in some schools of thought. A good example for me is the song In The Mouth A Desert, which is one of my favourites of theirs, but I have live versions of that song which really rock and feel a lot better than the rather dry album track. Um, IN MY OPINION. :D
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

A number of the live bootlegs are excellent, and all their Peel sessions are amazing. Only thing that disappoints me about the Peel sessions is that they didn't do MORE of them so we could get more of their library in that "live studio" setting.

If you like TT, pick up the self-titled Stephen Malkmus LP. Even more straight pop than TT, but you'll probably still like it. It was the obvious next step from TT, I think.

And no worries, I was just kidding around, we all have different tastes. I picked up on the tone from your winking smiley face too.

So long as you like Pavement in some way, we can be friends. :D
- Nathan

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:47 pm

Tristan, mash that Brian Jonestown Massacre clip with this Ride one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ZVzEatMdg

Max Prophet, that Splinter pedal looks really awesome actually.
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:55 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nguideau</i>
If you like TT, pick up the self-titled Stephen Malkmus LP. Even more straight pop than TT, but you'll probably still like it. It was the obvious next step from TT, I think.

:D I do love that first Malkmus solo effort, Jojo's Jacket and Jenny and the Ess Dog are simply wonderfully crafted pop songs! They should've been huge! I have seen him live a few times, first time was just after pavement split and he played a lot of stuff from TT, then the last time he'd just released his second solo E.P. and didn't even play any of the 'hits' from his first solo record, instead opting for impromptu 7-minute bad solos for a lot of the songs :( Was still fun though, that guy is unique, I just love his stream of consciousness lyrics, so wacky.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:31 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
And Van Cleef, don't forget the INCREDIBLE Swervedriver!

oh matey i didn't forget them - i know they're usually on those lists but personally i consider them a straight up rocking band...

had the pleasure of having a 'session' with them involving some extremely heinously strong green vegetable matter backstage after a show when they played here in 94...

there were rumours they'd reformed or were thinking about it - - i would love to see them again
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

fat controller
Orange Expert

Post by fat controller » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:41 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Van Cleef</i>

there were rumours they'd reformed or were thinking about it - - i would love to see them again

True dat. Adam borrowed the vintage JM of my Dave's sales guy.

If you've got the money, honey I've got the time.

www.myspace.com/thievesonholiday
www.myspace.com/boheme66
www.furthermorebeer.com

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:50 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

True dat. Adam borrowed the vintage JM of my Dave's sales guy.

coolio... wonder if they'll get by oz

hmmm a quick google tells me he cammer here in feb doing solo stuff... :(

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:44 am

By the way Fat Controller, I checked out Mid-Fi, and the Psych Byke has some really awesome sounds but waaay too compressed and gated sounded, like there's no way any notes will ring with that.
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:45 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br />
:D I do love that first Malkmus solo effort, Jojo's Jacket and Jenny and the Ess Dog are simply wonderfully crafted pop songs! They should've been huge! I have seen him live a few times, first time was just after pavement split and he played a lot of stuff from TT, then the last time he'd just released his second solo E.P. and didn't even play any of the 'hits' from his first solo record, instead opting for impromptu 7-minute bad solos for a lot of the songs :( Was still fun though, that guy is unique, I just love his stream of consciousness lyrics, so wacky.

Hahaha, classic Malkmus, that's for sure. His licks have gotten much better over the last four or five years, he can actually belt 'em out live for real now. But I always liked the half-botched solos, made the music seem more honest and less cliche to me... this has gotten so OT, but it was good chatting with ya!
- Nathan

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:46 pm

Yeah, I love the way with his stuff it all sounds like it's a bit sloppily played and shouldn't quite fit together, but somehow as a whole it all miraculously gels into something amazing ;) Uh, yeah, sorry for hijacking the thread, can't resist a good chinwag about Pavement though, as sadly they're hardly ever namedropped these days!
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:16 am

slanted and enchanted was a fantastic lo-fi trainwreck of an album - - i still think it's their best stuff... along with crooked rain crooked rain...

i'm lucky enough to have seen them with 'both drummers'... the first guy was hilarious, standing at the door of the venue, giving away all of the band's food to punters as they waited in line

adamanteus
Orange Hero

Post by adamanteus » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:56 am

death by audio - fuzz war?