I need a new pedal

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:13 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Magnus Pettersen</i>
<br />An old Rat is the ultimate shoegaze pedal
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
True, but a Boss PN-2 is also a classic shoegaze tremolo pedal and I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole haha. No, that's a good point. I was interested in the You Dirty Rat awhile ago because it seemed fuzzier than the conventional Rats, but besides the two sad mp3s on their site, there are no videos or mp3s of them anywhere, and I kept reading in reviews how great it was at doing Hendrix... which made me go "meh."
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Magnus Pettersen
Orange Master

Post by Magnus Pettersen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:44 pm

The PN-2 is amazing! Instant My bloody valentine!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:50 pm

Can someone explain "shoegaze" to me please?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Magnus Pettersen
Orange Master

Post by Magnus Pettersen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:01 pm

Gazing at your shoes = shoegaze, you have so many pedals that you can't look at anything else. Simple as that

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br />Can someone explain "shoegaze" to me please?

shoegaze now is a disgusting shadow of it's former self - but i suspect msp is talking about the older stuff... think melodic wall of sound moody british stuff from the late 80s early 90s.... lots of melodic reverb and delay and effects to create a mood... plenty of distortion etc - the term shoegaze came from the fact that the players look deadpan on stage - unengaged with the audience primarily because they are too concerned with their pedals and also because there was a certain 'anti-rock' element ie: 'we don't need to dance around like fools to play our instruments...some could argue it is one of the precursors to emo... but i think that is way too harsh because much 'shoegaze' stuff was really good

also think - androgenous guys with bob cuts - basically pre-oasis

some of the good shoegaze bands include

Cocteau Twins
My Bloody Valentine (flagship originators some would say - and easily one of my top 10 bands of all time)
Ride
Jesus and Mary Chain
Chapterhouse
Slowdive
Pale Saints
Lush

...these days the 'new' shoegaze movement was pretty much championed by Sigur Ros... who i think are intersting... but nowhere in the league of aforementioned bands

anyway... that's my take on it and if people don't agree with me then i fully respect their right to be incorrect ')
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

fat controller
Orange Expert

Post by fat controller » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:13 pm

MSP, have you checked out the midfi electronics stuff? They would have you covered on the "insane" front. Cool pedals. CErtainly not generic. Really, it sounds like you're talking about two pedals...

BTW, how's the Bassman treating you?

Irish Admiral, "shoegaze", as exemplified by early 90's British band My Bloody Valentine is a form of alternative music characterized by repetitive hyper-melodic riffs/loops, ungodly loud guitars awash in reverb (not the surf kind) and other effects and barely intelligible lyrics. Think bubblegum on top and sinister underneath.

And Van Cleef, don't forget the INCREDIBLE Swervedriver!

If you've got the money, honey I've got the time.

www.myspace.com/thievesonholiday
www.myspace.com/boheme66
www.furthermorebeer.com

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:05 pm

Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz
Barber Trifecta
Hartman LM308

~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:52 pm

Yeah, to me it's pretty disgusting to even consider mentioning MBV in the same post as Sigur Ros. MBV is actually guitar-driven, whereas Sigur Ros just makes me want to do acid and punch myself in the face.

Anyway, good luck to you on the search for this pedal. I think dilemmas like this is why it took Kevin Shields so freakin' long to finish "Loveless".
- Nathan

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:36 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MSP</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Magnus Pettersen</i>
<br />An old Rat is the ultimate shoegaze pedal
True, but a Boss PN-2 is also a classic shoegaze tremolo pedal and I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole haha. No, that's a good point. I was interested in the You Dirty Rat awhile ago because it seemed fuzzier than the conventional Rats, but besides the two sad mp3s on their site, there are no videos or mp3s of them anywhere, and I kept reading in reviews how great it was at doing Hendrix... which made me go "meh."

The "You Dirty Rat" is my favorite pedal in that line so far. It's very good, if not your style. Give it a try as they shouldn't be too hard to find. Then there is the SD Tweak Fuzz which has loads of variations on tap. You'll probably find something to like about that one. It has very little overdrive, so it will remain more clean and it seems to actually get a bum rap about that. Also anything that Adrian belew plays must be killer. Have you heard his fuzz tones?
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:02 pm

Not really shoegaze, but similar era and scene... Pavement used RATs through clean Fenders like Twins for their early recordings through Slanted & Enchanted, I believe.
- Nathan

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:06 pm

Greg

tristan
Rocker

Post by tristan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LlJJUTocV4
This may be too muddy for you (look around 1:20) but Jason Simon uses an AD30HTC with a Tele through a ProCo Rat and Big Muff Pi.. gets some fantastic psychedelic rock tones. Again, probably too muddy. Here's another clip of Dead Meadow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPMmmFC7Ymk (look around 2:00)

I can't picture "jangly" with fuzz.. jangly makes me think Brian Jonestown Massacre (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeLepdqMPMk), which is not so fuzzy.

Here's a local band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rRvbmCP-uc Is that anything close to the kind of music you're playing with?

I'm just trying to put a sound/style to what you're asking for. Sometimes words for sounds can mean different things.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:43 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nguideau</i>
<br />Not really shoegaze, but similar era and scene... Pavement used RATs through clean Fenders like Twins for their early recordings through Slanted & Enchanted, I believe.

I love Pavement, really one of my favourite bands musically and lyrically, so unique and quirky... but there isn't a guitar tone on any of their records that I'd be comfortable with using myself! Pretty lo fi and disgusting most of the time... ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:18 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nguideau</i>
<br />Not really shoegaze, but similar era and scene... Pavement used RATs through clean Fenders like Twins for their early recordings through Slanted & Enchanted, I believe.

I love Pavement, really one of my favourite bands musically and lyrically, so unique and quirky... but there isn't a guitar tone on any of their records that I'd be comfortable with using myself! Pretty lo fi and disgusting most of the time... ;)

[:(!]

Well, to each his own!

There isn't a guitar tone on any of their records that I don't love fiddling with and trying to mock. But their guitar sound is definitely a love/hate kind of thing. I can see how people could enjoy listening (because all their songs are essentially basic pop structures at the root of it all) but not necessarily have any interest in replicating it (because it is far from "perfect" both in technical playing and production alike).

...and just to be clear, just kidding with the angry face, we all have our own unique tastes and I respect you all for it. 8)
- Nathan

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:27 pm

Urso Splinter

http://www.pedalspluseffectswarehouse.c ... s-splt.htm

err, not cheap. may be what you are after tho.