is it ok to put you amp on standby when it isnt

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:24 pm

small sigs are good sigs

I keep my pix on Photobucket - it has a good editing program where you can shrink your pix to fit the space

Will Loftin
Orange Technical Manager

Post by Will Loftin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:27 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zac_crocus</i>
<br />is it ok to put you amp on standby when it is not connected to a cabinet ?

for example while other bands are playing at a show and you want your valves to warm up.
Is it ok to just leave the amp on standby in the corner while not connected to a speaker cabinet ?

cheers.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It is ok temporarily, but it is not needed. In fact, leaving it in standby for longer periods of time will shorten your tube life.

Your tubes will warm up to operating temperature in around 30 seconds. Just make sure you have the amp in standby first before you turn it fully on so as to avoid cooking the tubes with plate voltage before the heaters warm up and they have a chance to dissipate the high voltage.
Will Loftin
Technical Manager
Orange Music Electronic Co

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:33 pm

I'd make sure you never turn the amp on without a cab plugged in. You'd hate to forget you DON'T have a cab plugged in just that one time... then you'd be having a very different conversation with our dear friend Will Loftin here. ;)