Another One Bites the Dust....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

chimpboyjay1
Orange Expert

Post by chimpboyjay1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:19 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neiloler</i>
<br />$700 for a Red Special in a variety of colors is pretty cool though!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Shouldn't a red special be red? [:p]
Jamie T

Dr. Lo
Rocker

Post by Dr. Lo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:21 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neiloler</i>
<br />How does the current production guitar sound and play? Easy to upkeep? etc?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Mine plays very well. I had it set up by a local guitar tech. The trem bar, like almost all non-locking models, easily caused the strings to go out of tune. Because I never use trem bars, I had the local tech permanently block it.

The guitar sounds amazing. Compared to my Les Paul, Strat, and Esquire, my band mates say they like the sound of the Red Special the most. Also, at a recent multi-band gig, compared to a guy playing a home-made guitar through a Marshall and another guy playing a Les Paul through a Peavey JSX, the sound man (who I didn't know) came to me after the gig to tell me he thought my tone was the nicest. My rig was Red Special -> cheap BBE treble booster -> Tiny Terror -> 2x12 open-back cab with Weber 15-watt alnicos (Silver Bell and Blue Dog).
Lo

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:03 am

Very cool Dr. Lo. I've always wanted one, but I've always steered away because of rumors on crappy build quality, or that I don't want to look like a poser (because I can't play any queen songs, so I'd be worried people would think I could shred...:)). Very cool, and that cab with 2x12" AlNiCo webers can't hurt too much either. :D

Dr. Lo
Rocker

Post by Dr. Lo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:37 am

Yep, the alnicos made a significant difference in sound compared to the G12H30s I had in there before. Warmer with a more relaxed attack.
Lo