Can't get me enough of that stage volume, but...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

niangelo
Orange Expert

Post by niangelo » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:03 am

Honestly, I love my amp, and I love it on stage. I really like having that thing blow my face off in the heat of the set. I think most guys on here do - I know enough of you complain about meddling sound guys.

But, I play in a church - albeit one that is a little less constrictive, but still. When the sound engineer can flip the faders up and down and the guitar volume doesn't change, hey, that's a problem. And it's not going to sound as good in the house, right?

Anyway, I've though about isolating for a while. But I always shied away, didn't really wanna try to change or try something out of my normal element.

So before yesterday's practice, one of my guitarists calls me and says, "hey man, what do you think about isolating my amp?" He plays a Gretsch Nashville through an AC-15.

So (no joke), we stuck his amp in the pastor's office which is just off to the right of the stage. We ran a 57 in front of the amp and dimed it.

Let me tell you, the sound quality was spectacular. The FOH engineer had a ton of dynamic range, and the ability to cut down on stage volume cleaned the overall sound up, reduced monitor wars and left everyone with their hearing intact. And did I mention the tone? Not only could he push his amp to maximum breakup, he could do it with crystal clarity.

I think I'm sold on isolation. I think guitarists might want to think about this more - it's a solid method that benefits more than just us.
G&L Bluesboy Semi-Hollow > Vox Volume > Boss TU-2 > Fulltone Fatboost (v.1) > Keeley Fuzz Head > Fulltone Fulldrive 2 > Boss DD-5 > EHX Pulsar Trem > EHX Holy Grail > Orange AD30HTC > Avatar 2x12

linoleum
Orange Hero

Post by linoleum » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:26 am

it's a solid method that benefits more than just us.

Thats a very ethereal way of looking at it!

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:47 am

That's way cool, wish I could find a side office for all my gigs. :) Smart thinking though. For recording and stuff, this is a must.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:00 am

Hallaleujah!

Another one converted to the "let's mic it up" cause.

Yes, personally, I will always mic up my amp, and generally have it pointing back at me rather than at the people, and preferably have it offstage if I don't need it for monitoring.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:56 am

Ditto.

Its the only way really.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

Sethery
Orange Hero

Post by Sethery » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Love, Seth.
Orange PPC-212
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb dual rectifier
Rockerverb50H
PRS Custom 22 ten-top
Ibanez "law suit" Les Paul
Ibanez Jet King
Lots of Pedals (Gonkulator Ring Modulator is my favorite)
http://www.myspace.com/sethsoloproject
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27795172@N05/

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:29 pm

That's why systems like Aviom have gotten so popular. Ability to mix your own settings in an in ear gats rid of muddy stage issues, and fighting...
Vince

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:31 pm

BOO!
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:46 pm

Yep, tube amps need to be cranked.

~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:38 pm

I'd love to be able to afford an Aviom...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

greyvents
Orange Expert

Post by greyvents » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Would having a plexiglass screen surrounding the front of the amp have the same / similar effect?
Mark

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Fender Classic Player 50s Strat
Orange TT, PPC 112
Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:34 pm

It would prevent so much of the sound hitting the people in front of you, and therefore is helpful... the guys in my old church used to do that as a matter of common practice.
Joe

G(sus) saves

polishdog90
Rocker

Post by polishdog90 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:44 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br />It would prevent so much of the sound hitting the people in front of you, and therefore is helpful... the guys in my old church used to do that as a matter of common practice.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Wouldn't that create unwanted reflections into the mic though?

niangelo
Orange Expert

Post by niangelo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:17 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by polishdog90</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br />It would prevent so much of the sound hitting the people in front of you, and therefore is helpful... the guys in my old church used to do that as a matter of common practice.

Wouldn't that create unwanted reflections into the mic though?

I'm thinking if you put foam on the inside of that plexi, you'd fix that for the most part.
G&L Bluesboy Semi-Hollow > Vox Volume > Boss TU-2 > Fulltone Fatboost (v.1) > Keeley Fuzz Head > Fulltone Fulldrive 2 > Boss DD-5 > EHX Pulsar Trem > EHX Holy Grail > Orange AD30HTC > Avatar 2x12

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:45 am

That's really cool. That's like every sound man's wet dream.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele