Guitar Pro Tabs

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

yaronis1
Tiny Terror

Post by yaronis1 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I have bought some hendrix tabs books some time ago.

Is there anyone who knows about a program which can translate this book into a guitar pro file. (after I scan it to the computer)?
Yaron

TGM
Rocker

Post by TGM » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:36 pm

Not likely that it exists. Sorry mate.
Dirty Greasy Rock'N'Roll

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:38 pm

Someone should make such a program though. It shouldn't be impossible..
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

rhrob
Tiny Terror

Post by rhrob » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:48 pm

I'm not sure if this will work or not but its worth a try, a least to get the tab digital. Why not download and install some free ocr software. I have had reasonable luck "SimpleOCR" although I don't know how it would handle the lines. If you can get it scanned, cut and paste it into your Guitar Pro software.

Good luck,

Rob
Previous Proud member #20 of the Tiny Terror Club
VoxAC100CPH
ppc412
Jeff Beck Strat
Jay Turser LP
Assorted Pedals

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:44 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br />Someone should make such a program though. It shouldn't be impossible..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yea but to get it right would be hard. It would see the notes from the score as values and place them on the fingerboard, However it would have no regard for where the previous note/finger was so might go all over the fretboard. A real player would use the standard formats or finger shapes with "one finger one fret" etc and no impossible contorsions of the fingers. Most people use tabs because they can't work out the hard bits and poor software would only make it worse IMO.

It's like when a piano player works out a score by ear for the guitar, play it as written and it doesn't sound like the recording. It's so often about the voiceing and fingering rather than just the notes.

Anyway thats my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions....
Here we go; three, four...

kungfu
Orange Expert

Post by kungfu » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:02 pm

For some basic riffs, you can write youeself by looking at the book. It doesn't take so much time.
Of course not the whole book/song. But it will be very helpful for some riffs/solos:D

yaronis1
Tiny Terror

Post by yaronis1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks
Yaron

yaronis1
Tiny Terror

Post by yaronis1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:04 pm

After reading about ocr in wikipedia I got to this company
http://www.neuratron.com

I will give it a try...
Yaron

yaronis1
Tiny Terror

Post by yaronis1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:13 pm

here is some information
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_OCR
Yaron

yaronis1
Tiny Terror

Post by yaronis1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:26 pm

OK after checking a little on the net, there are a few software who can translates book tabs into computer tabs and can even play them.

qoutes for wikipedia:

"Music OCR is the application of optical character recognition to interpret sheet music or printed scores into editable and, often, playable form. Once captured digitally, the music can be saved in commonly used file formats, e.g. MIDI (for playback) and MusicXML (for page layout)."

"Early research into recognition of printed sheet music was performed at the graduate level in the late 1960's at MIT and other institutions. (Pruslin, Dennis Howard (1966). "Automatic Recognition of Sheet Music" (PDF). Retrieved on 2007-01-24.) Successive efforts were made to localize and remove musical staff lines leaving symbols to be recognized and parsed. The first commercial music-scanning product, MIDISCAN, was released in 1991 by Musitek corporation.

Unlike OCR of text, where words are parsed sequentially, music notation involves parallel elements, as when several voices are present along with unattached performance symbols positioned nearby. Therefore, the spatial relationship between notes, expression marks, dynamics, articulations and other annotations is an important part of the expression of the music.

Modern music OCR packages have accuracy exceeding 99% when a clean scan is used and the notation is not exceptional (e.g. unfilled voices, non-standard symbology, etc.) Because music notation utilizes dots for staccato marks or to extend the value of a note, artifacts in the scan can lead to interpretation problems.

On June 7 2007, Neuratron Ltd (London, England) released the world's first commercial handwritten music OCR software, as integrated into its PhotoScore Ultimate 5 product which also became the world's first music scanning product to incorporate two printed music recognition engines, correlating the results of each to achieve significantly improved accuracy."

<u><b>Proprietary software</b></u>

capella-scan
PhotoScore (used in Sibelius)
ScoreMaker
SharpEye
SmartScore
SmartScore Lite (used in Finale)
PDFtoMusic
VivaldiScan
Yaron