How to get overdrive from an ad5?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

varaodfogo

Post by varaodfogo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:38 pm

Hey folks!!!

I just bought an ad5 last week and LOVE its sound. However, since I live in Japan I can't
crank up the amp to get the overdrive sound. Is there another way to get the overdrive while keeping the amp's original sound? There's a video on youtube where Rob used an MXR boost to do it but he doesn't give much detail about how he did it.

Cheers!!

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:45 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by varaodfogo</i>
<br />Hey folks!!!

I just bought an ad5 last week and LOVE its sound. However, since I live in Japan I can't crank up the amp to get the overdrive sound. Is there another way to get the overdrive while keeping the amp's original sound?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Is cranking an amp not allowed in Japan? ;)

You should be able to get great overdrive sounds at low volume out of the amp, it's kind of the point of the amp, but if it's still too loud, there was a thread on here a day or two ago about clean/transparent boosts - check it out.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

varaodfogo

Post by varaodfogo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:57 pm

"Is cranking an amp not allowed in Japan?

You should be able to get great overdrive sounds at low volume out of the amp, it's kind of the point of the amp, but if it's still too loud, there was a thread on here a day or two ago about clean/transparent boosts - check it out."

Chat Noir-san(There's a delivery company called "black cat" in Japan),
Thanks for the prompt reply. Since I'm a beginner in this forum I wonder if you could helo me finding this thread.
By the way, if I crank up my amp my neighbours will call the police since they've already complained about my guitar before!!!! :)
Also, you said that I could get overdrive at low volume but can an orange have a low volume? :D

Cheers!!!

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:05 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by varaodfogo</i>
Chat Noir-san(There's a delivery company called "black cat" in Japan),
Thanks for the prompt reply. Since I'm a beginner in this forum I wonder if you could help me finding this thread.
By the way, if I crank up my amp my neighbours will call the police since they've already complained about my guitar before!!!! :)
Also, you said that I could get overdrive at low volume but can an orange have a low volume? :D

Cheers!!!

No problem, welcome to the forum! Black cat in Japan is kuroneko, right? :)

Here is the post I mentioned:

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... hichpage=1

I hope you find a solution! :)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:17 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">You should be able to get great overdrive sounds at low volume out of the amp, it's kind of the point of the amp, but if it's still too loud<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
That's something we have to deal with all over the world. There is no tube amp that is quiet enough for practising in an apartment.
I have a ZVex Nano head at 0,5 watts and I still use an attenuator to keep the volume done.

Even if 5 watts doesn't seem loud on paper it surely is VERY loud.

Jeff at Matamp told me that you have to increase power 100-fold to get double the percieved volume. That would mean that your 5 watt AD5 is half as loud as a 500 watt tube amp..
(Correct me if I'm wrong anyone)
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
Jeff at Matamp told me that you have to increase power 100-fold to get double the percieved volume. That would mean that your 5 watt AD5 is half as loud as a 500 watt tube amp..

10 fold. So a 10w amp is half as loud as a 100w amp.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:24 pm

I heard that too David, but for example I tried an Epi VJ cranked through my PPC412, and the AD30 cranked through it feels MUCH louder to me, at least by a factor of 2. But that is just my perception :) Of course, different manufacturers rate amps differently and it's clearly not an exact science.

One suggestion that might work is a headphone amp - apparently the Vox ones are good. No noise at all for the neighbours then!!
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:16 pm

I wonder if the AD5 is really worth the money when a TT combo is so similarly priced. The TT is louder, has a master volume knob and has a 12 inch speaker. It sounds awesome at low volumes, i'd be surprised of the AD5 sounded better at any volume.

Really, what's the benefit of it? It's more portable....thats it!

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:26 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br />I heard that too David, but for example I tried an Epi VJ cranked through my PPC412, and the AD30 cranked through it feels MUCH louder to me, at least by a factor of 2. But that is just my perception :) Of course, different manufacturers rate amps differently and it's clearly not an exact science.

One suggestion that might work is a headphone amp - apparently the Vox ones are good. No noise at all for the neighbours then!!

how sounds is felt/perceived as compared to decibel rating is actually fairly different.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:31 pm

If noise is an issue you could also consider using a multi FX pedal with headphones such as a line 6, or digitech or zoom. This will give you lots of different sounds and cost alot less than an amp, depending on which one you get of course. Food for thought if nothing else.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

stevo2112
Orange Master

Post by stevo2112 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by screamingdaisy</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>

that sounds more like it.
Steve

stevo2112
Orange Master

Post by stevo2112 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by danbond</i>
<br />I wonder if the AD5 is really worth the money when a TT combo is so similarly priced. The TT is louder, has a master volume knob and has a 12 inch speaker. It sounds awesome at low volumes, i'd be surprised of the AD5 sounded better at any volume.

Really, what's the benefit of it? It's more portable....thats it!

i thought the tt combo was almost twice as much as the ad5?
Steve

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:04 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by screamingdaisy</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>

<br />
I'm sure I recall hearing greater numbers than that. The Nano head is a lot louder that half the volume from a 5 watter. It's about half of my 50 watt Orange Matamp.
But I guess it's possible to say really, as percieved volume differ from one person to another..
David

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:51 pm

This is a great 5watt tube amp with head phone output to practice silently...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=481661
Vince

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:54 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">phone input<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
??
Is that headphone output?
David