How to get gigs!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:08 am

1) Show up on time and be ready to play when your suppose to.

2) Look and act professional.

3) Have back up systems, so if an amp dies or the guitar breaks a string you can keep going.

4) No drugs or alcohol before or during the gig.

5) Even if the crowd is small give a good performance, word of mouth is the best advertisment a band can get.

6) Play for the crowd, the doctors christmas party is a different gig than the crowd at the local pub.

7) Learn a couple of songs from different decades to pull out if needed.

8) If possible use your own PA system and keep the instruments levels balanced with the vocals. Nothing is more frustrating than watching a band and unable to hear or understand the vocals. Also, I've had some bad experiences with "soundmen" who think they know everything and the mix sounds terrible to the crowd.

Once people hire you and have a good experience the gigs will begin to roll in, just be sure to have cards to hand out at gigs with a phone number so people will understand how to get a hold of you.

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:12 am

Good advice man :D

What about -

9) Enjoy yourself and look as if you're doing so!
Josh

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:15 am

These are all good. I'd like to add:

Bring a baseball bat and some matches in case they don't want to pay up.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:20 am

Blacklight: Your absolutely right! If the band is enjoying themselves and having fun the crowd is drawn into the performance.

Blackcloud: If they don't pay up I never go back, you learn who you can count on and who to avoid. I've never had a problem when playing at the local hotels (Hyatt, etc.)

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Sunburst 22

Joshlespaul1952

Post by Joshlespaul1952 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:21 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blackcloud45</i>
<br />These are all good. I'd like to add:

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Hahahaha. I've gotta remember this one.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:00 am

Just joshin'! They usually pay, sometimes they make you wait until the absolute last minute though. I know Chuck Berry wasn't afraid to go 'medieval' on their butts!

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:02 am

i disagree with 4 and 8

4) nothing wrong with having a few drinks before or during a gig if it works for you - doing it 'Hillsong stlye' may work for some but not others - sure if you're 16 and you get drunk after your first chug of bud lite then you might want to total that tee

8) many venues have the PA specifically set up for their venue and they know the inside and outs of it... bringing along your PA can be not only a waste of time and space but can make you sound worse that if you used the house PA

i'll add another one

9) befriend or even better just GET your own mixer/sound engineer... treat him as part of the band and pay him well... he (or she) will look after you - get to know your sound and your setup and will be able to likely make even the crappiest house PAs sound better than you can
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:14 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Van Cleef</i>

9) befriend or even better just GET your own mixer/sound engineer... treat him as part of the band and pay him well... he (or she) will look after you - get to know your sound and your setup and will be able to likely make even the crappiest house PAs sound better than you can

In my experience most venues don't let outsiders operate their mixer/PA. They're already paying someone to do it, and they don't want some clown blowing up their equipment/speakers.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:28 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by screamingdaisy</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Van Cleef</i>

In my experience most venues don't let outsiders operate their mixer/PA. They're already paying someone to do it, and they don't want some clown blowing up their equipment/speakers.

*shrugs* it seems to be different in OZ... some venues have a house mixer as optional... use their guy or bring your own - i only know a couple where the in house mixer is mandatory - one of them is a punk metal thrash type venue... i would be trusting the kids that play there with my gear either :)

either way... if you've got a good audio engineer whod digs your band it's preferable to 'rolling the dice' with the in house guy who gets paid whether he makes you sound awesome or he texts his girlfriend through your entire set...

i'm mainly talking about live music pubs rather than dedicated clubs... that's a different story...
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:41 am

10) don't suck

polishdog90
Rocker

Post by polishdog90 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:28 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MaxProphet</i>
<br />10) don't suck

So that's what I've been doing wrong all of these years...

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:45 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blackcloud45</i>
<br />These are all good. I'd like to add:

My old band played one of tour shows in Portland, OR and the promoter was supposed to pay us at least $1500. He handed us a wad of cash through the door and shut it quickly. He gave us $400 dollars and this was to split between us and the two bands we were touring with that were supporting us. We bashed the door and trashed the outside of the club and called over and over, but of course we never got paid.

Never play or support the Paris Theatre in Portland. They are scum bags.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:10 am

PA.

You know how your guitar rig works so learn about the PA. Yes it's different and even complicated. It takes time and practice to get it to sound right in many different venues and situations. But over time, this will pay dividends big time. You will be able to make average PA systems sound reasonable or communicate with the house dude on a level he will appreciate.

As for getting more gigs, people want a good time so give them a good time. The person paying will expect a service for the cash (so would you), so be professional and ensure you don't create any annoyance or displeasure to your employer or thier guests. You are not one of those Guests you are a working musician.

I always carry a suitable sound system, monitors and lighting rig. That way I know that the performance will meet a minimum high standard even in a barn or tent. I recommend you advance the gig with the promotor/bar owner/Party organiser and ensure you have what you need as a minimum.

For example I always ask about stairs (with our equipment that increases the price for more loaders or cancels the gig).
Power supply, is it adequate and close by?
Stage or performing area - dont get stuck on uneven grass in a tent or shoved in the corner normally reserved for a pot plant or on the patio right beside the swimming pool or ... you get the idea.
Playing times. Get is sorted before, it's OK to be flexible on the night but avoid going soft and playing an extra hour and a half late for the same fee and getting home as the sun comes up. If the party is due to end at 1am make sure you do and then maybe one encore. Too often about 20 drunks will have you dance them into the small hours, you don't have too and they wont remember in the morning, leave them wanting more.
Changing facilities and refreshments. Whats available? If the host doesn't want a bunch of scruffy musicians wandering with his banker guests, have they set aside a room and food for you to hide in.
When and how will you be paid? Know before you play and preferably get paid before you play. Most professionals take a deposit at contract time and the promotor pays the balance after sound check but before performance. After performance your bargaining hand is very weak.
Here we go; three, four...

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:19 pm

Another thing that will help get gigs is let the local booking agents know that your willing to help out in a pinch, since we're a 3 piece band and it is easier to contact everyone, there are times when the scheduled band can't make their gig for whatever reason they will call me and if we can make it we show up and play. I've had several places hire us back for future dates because we helped them out.

The best paying local gigs are the Hotels (Hyatt, Marriott, etc.) and special partys (Bar Association, etc.) Actually one gig we get asked to every year is the local Zoo has a huge fundraiser party that is right is the middle of the Zoo, the money is good and we play in an out door amphitheater and you can hear the animals in the background, it's really fun.

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Sunburst 22

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:54 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MaxProphet</i>
<br />10) don't suck

Pearls of wisdom :).