Orange Rockerverb 50 FX loop signal loss??

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

miles
Tiny Terror

Post by miles » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:56 am

I get a huge signal loss when pluging anything into the effects loops. Ive tried every possible combinations of rack gear and tested it all on other amps and no problem so it must be the amps. Blown tube???? Can't seem to figure out the problem. Ive tried to boost the signal back up with an eq but at Live volumes the amp squeels really bad. Then if I unplug the effects loops amp works as it should........ Anyone???
RV50
AD30HTC
Tiny Terror

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:55 am

Since I'm assuming that during all that swapping you also swapped cables I'll suggest you check the FX loop driver. If I remember correctly it's one of the two 12AT7s (I can't remember which order their in... maybe someone else will chime in). Replace it and see if it helps. If not, then I have nothing to tell you.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

miles
Tiny Terror

Post by miles » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:02 am

Yup ive tried everything from cables to swapping out rack gear to doing single pedals and even using diffrent locations to plug the amp in incase of grounding problems and nothing. The amps effects loop and reverb run on ECC81 so im going to try to reverse them.
RV50
AD30HTC
Tiny Terror

miles
Tiny Terror

Post by miles » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:27 am

I opened it up and all the pre amp tubes were ecc83 cept for 2 which were 12at7s....

as far as i know

ecc83= 12ax7
ecc81= 12at7

So 4 ecc83 and 2 at7s....
RV50
AD30HTC
Tiny Terror

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:28 pm

One is the reverb driver and the other is the FX loop driver.

Try swapping them and see what happens.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:45 pm

I replied to your post in the technical forum:

"Have you tried running a very short length of high quality cable directly from the Send to the Return, nothing in between, and see how that affects your signal???? I have zero issues with mine.
The 12ax7 for the FX Loop buffer is in the signal path all the time, 100% of your signal runs through it. If it was the tube, I think you would have noticed by now.

If you pull that tube (fx loop), you will get no signal whether using the loop or not. Pull the reverb driver and you still get your dry signal, just no reverb."

tristan
Rocker

Post by tristan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:57 pm

Try 'shorting' the effects loop -- plug the send straight back into the return. Is there still signal loss? That will narrow down the problem to just the cable you used, or (most likely) the issue is contained within amp itself.

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:01 pm

This is one area where I miss the send/mix controls for the FX loop on my old Trem-O-Verb.

I ended up getting the BBE Boosta Grande (clean boost) and making that the first item in the loop sequence. Huge difference and for better or worse an essential item if you're going to use the FX loop.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:40 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jangle</i>
<br />This is one area where I miss the send/mix controls for the FX loop on my old Trem-O-Verb.

I ended up getting the BBE Boosta Grande (clean boost) and making that the first item in the loop sequence. <b>Huge difference and for better or worse an essential item if you're going to use the FX loop.</b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

???

Why? I have no issues with my effects loop and I'm running plenty of garbage into it - 2 delays, a chorus and a phaser. I have no signal loss at all. I think if you do have an issue then something is not quite right with the amp - especially if you've ruled out the effects source and cables as the issue.
Greg

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:59 pm

I'll bet cash it's the at7 driving the loop. I just had mine go on me, took one of the power tubes with it and 2 fuses. I had the same problem as you....just swap it for another one and you should be good to go. Keep your eye on your output tubes though, as they may have magically taken some damage like mine did.

krizz

Post by krizz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:28 pm

Had the same problem as you have and I solved it with putting a MI Audio Boost'N'Buff first in the chain. The fine thing with that particular pedal is that it "buffs" the signal when it's in bypass and works as a pretty transparent booster as well. (A pretty nice win/win solution.:D)

miles
Tiny Terror

Post by miles » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:14 am

So I changed out all the tubes. Took the amp to a friends tried his cables and effects and same problem
RV50
AD30HTC
Tiny Terror

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:21 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by miles</i>
<br />So I changed out all the tubes. Took the amp to a friends tried his cables and effects and same problem
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Bummer, sounds like an issue with the amp.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:34 am

Tell us what effects you are using. List them in the order you have them chained together.

If you are using rack effects, I'm assuming you know what you're doing and have them all set at the same line level.