RV owners - advice on tone variety for gigging

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

spyeman
Tiny Terror

Post by spyeman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:13 pm

This is a bit long winded, so please bear with. I'm a gigging classic rocker, and a lead player. Our band switches songs, and thus tones, quick. Plus, I sometimes need multiple tones within one song. My RV clean tone and lead tones are to die for, I love them, but there are many songs I need tones that are in between. What I want to avoid is backing off my lead tone to get these "middle tones" (think Stones, moderate dirt) and then using a pedal to boost it up for leads - I want to keep that lead tone pure Orange as it sounds so great. And, I don't want to have to boost or dirty my clean channel as then when I go for a lead, I have to switch channels and then turn the boost off, too much work. Maybe this is too confusing, I guess the question really is:

How are gigging players getting multiple tones from their Rockerverbs that is easy to do and quick? Guess I'm looking for that right pedal set-up.

As a side, I have a H&K switchblade that is full midi, I mean it's a dream to gig with, you can have ANY tone you want instantly, you can go as far as to set a bank of tones for each individual song if you want to, but, it doesn't sound as good as the RV!!!!

Thanks for any ideas.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:36 pm

Guitar volume / tone knobs.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spyeman
Tiny Terror

Post by spyeman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:44 pm

Really? What are those? Where are they on the guitar? This could be the answer I've been looking for!!!!

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:22 am

Happy to help :).

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:40 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blackcloud45</i>
<br />Guitar volume / tone knobs.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's how I do it.

The Rockerverb pedalboard is pretty strait forward... wah -> Fulldrive 2 -> Amp

I use the guitar volume knob to get me everywhere from mild OD ot raging lead tones. I use the Fulldrive if I need a lead that has more midrange cut or more sustain. The wah is for colour.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:05 am

ah hrmm. why don't you put an od pedal (or w/e for your "middle tone") in with a channel switch loop; clean, clean+drive, lead

you can switch directly to lead and use the pedal to change "clean channels"

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:15 am

...and if you don't have time to reach for the guitar volume, you could either get a volume pedal or use a clean boost but to lower the volume with instead of increasing it.
If you still feel that the clean boost colors your sound, you could just make a box with a volume pot inside, which will work the same as turning down the guitars volume.

I know in my band I don't have time to reach for volume controls, so either lower the volume with a stomp box or switch pickups on the guitar and have the volume set lower on the neck pickup.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.