Advice

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kat_shredda

Post by kat_shredda » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:48 am

I have the funds to go 50 watts, I just don't want more wattage just for the sake of having more wattage when I don't need it. Like the Ford Truck commercials where they brag that it can pull 4 semi trucks...well I am not going to pay extra for that power because I don't ever see myself pulling four semi trucks...know what I mean?

However, if the Thunderverb 50 will give me better tone then that is different. I am going to a music store next week that carries Orange and trying them out. I think I would rather have a combo than a 1/4 or 1/2 stack. I am a combo user now and haven't felt the need to change that.

I also like to play clean at times. We play metal, kind of like Kittie, but I do like to change it up at times and throw in some clean tones. Everyone thinks I should stick to Marshall or Krank but I am old school and I have always want an Orange and I will make it work!

Thanks for all the advice..this forum is awesome!

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:21 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kat_shredda</i>
<br />I have the funds to go 50 watts, I just don't want more wattage just for the sake of having more wattage when I don't need it. Like the Ford Truck commercials where they brag that it can pull 4 semi trucks...well I am not going to pay extra for that power because I don't ever see myself pulling four semi trucks...know what I mean?

However, if the Thunderverb 50 will give me better tone then that is different. I am going to a music store next week that carries Orange and trying them out. I think I would rather have a combo than a 1/4 or 1/2 stack. I am a combo user now and haven't felt the need to change that.

I also like to play clean at times. We play metal, kind of like Kittie, but I do like to change it up at times and throw in some clean tones. Everyone thinks I should stick to Marshall or Krank but I am old school and I have always want an Orange and I will make it work!

Thanks for all the advice..this forum is awesome!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I'd definitely give both the Rocker 30 and the Rockerverb 50 a thorough trying out. The RV50 might have more of the gain and the clean channel you're looking for (but try them both out, I really like my R30's clean channel, very natural)

SuidLand

Post by SuidLand » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:33 am

I own a rocker 30 combo, play my ibanez apex1 7-string guitar through it. I get korn, slipknot, living sacrifice, coal chamber, kitty, zao, demon hunter, soul embraced, etc tones from it, linking up dist pedals to it of course. Orange rocks, don't get anything else. It depends on how heavy u play, the rocker 30 is very "rocky" but with a little boost, and a 7-string guitar, it goes low and heavy! Beautiful sound and easy to carry. U don't need more watt.. the rocker 30 is LOUD for a club... Listen around first though.. and hey girl metal heads rock...

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:55 am

No-one's mentioned the Tiny Terror? I gig mine through a pair of PPC112s and unmic'd it's pretty much loud enough for most gigs... and through the PA it's fine.

I play metal and rock, and it's got plenty of gain for me, and with a Boss DS-1 for solos it cuts through far more nicely than the other guitarist's Boss GT-8 and Marshall Valvestate head.
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:11 pm

I would look closely at the RV50 and TV50 and not the R30.
The reason being that although the R30 is a great amp, if you're already running the gain high and then looking for a boost to cut through for solos you're going to struggle to get any extra volume and will just be adding gain.

The RV50 and TV50 both have fx loops, whereas the R30 does not. The amps designer has previously been on the forum and stated a boost (not OD) such as the MXR micro amp in the loop is a great way to boost for solos. This should help you with cutting through for leads, and also means you could run another pedal in front of the amp for distortion tones should you so require.
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi Kat

30 watts should be fine for any venue: if you can't hear yourself, just get some more going through the monitor. I've gigged with a 15 watt solid state amp before and believe me, if you mic it up, just about anything is loud enough.

What you want to worry about is the tone... are you stuck on the idea of getting an Orange? They're not traditional sounding metal amps. The Rocker(verb)s will give you high gain sound, but it's quite punchy and muscular. The Thunderverbs might be more suited to metal sounds (at least when I tried one I thought so). Both have clean channel capabilities.

THE classic metal amp is a Peavey 5150, so if you're going for traditional metal sounds, get one of them.

The Oranges definitely have a unique sound, though i'm not sure it's trad metal. Give them a go, if you think you can make it work, go for it. If you have another guitarist and they're using Marshall or Krank, having a darker more punchy Orange sound might be a good complement.

I'd probably go for an RV50 over an R30 if you go with a Rocker: I like the Rocker 30, just I can't get over the lack of EQ on the clean channel... entirely my issue, but you might find that lack of flexibility a problem, especially if you're using humbuckers.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:58 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br />...If you have another guitarist and they're using Marshall or Krank, having a darker more punchy Orange sound might be a good complement.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Definitely this - my TT works really well with the other guitarist's Marshall/GT-8, you can actually hear both guitar parts.
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough