Doom/ Stoner sound

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mika Koffin

Post by Mika Koffin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:51 am

Hi!
Own an OR120 and lookig for cool stomp box...
Could you recommend few? THX

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:38 am

vintage big muff.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Mika Koffin

Post by Mika Koffin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:10 am

own one ;o) exactly Big Muff Russia black, with true bypass mod...thanx
what else...???

rufus
Tiny Terror

Post by rufus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:03 pm

For stoner, tuning your guitar in C and a cranked tube amp is a common thing to do I always thought.

ulrik

Post by ulrik » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:05 pm

T-Rex Mudhoney -> Vintage Big Muff -> OR120

DarkPoet
Tiny Terror

Post by DarkPoet » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:38 pm

I am curious about this as well. I get a great stoner sound from the rockerverb 50, but I would like to know what people suggest as the best fuzz for that thick, dark, sustain for days sound. Here is an example of what I would like to find in a fuzz petal.

http://www.myspace.com/acid_king
Rockerverb 50 Head
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall 1960b 4X12

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:00 pm

barber Trifecta :D It is helped by the 'sludge' knob which allows loads of bottom end through.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:02 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mika Koffin</i>
<br />Hi!
Own an OR120 and lookig for cool stomp box...
Could you recommend few? THX
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

go with the classic way out,, get an early 90's Big Muff made by Sovtek, the green one. that beast will roar stoner, doom from here to hell. trust me, im a Muff fanatic, iv had them all. and BTW i had that exact set-up for years and got plenty of compliments..

oh and the black Muff is junk, dont waste your time.

Jon

Damn-Deal-Done
Orange Expert

Post by Damn-Deal-Done » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:15 pm

Black Muff is a great pedal. Been using the same one since 1997 and it's been the one I've used over my many other fuzz pedals.

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:31 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Damn-Deal-Done</i>
<br />Black Muff is a great pedal. Been using the same one since 1997 and it's been the one I've used over my many other fuzz pedals.

"many other fuzz pedals" suck..

the green Muff is a SONIC pedal.. i mean yeah, a fuzz is a fuzz,, but if you do some research you will see that the Green Sovtek muff is one of the most sought after of all the muffs, and there are lots, this person is asking how to get stoner/doom, the vintage OR with a army green muff is a classic set up for this sound.

im big into muffs, im a fanatic on these things. iv owned them ALL and them some super rare ones, bare in mind that no two muffs are alike, and this applys here too ;)

Jon

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:04 pm

Dude, you got an OR120.

Turn that thing up, it's stoner rock heaven <b>without a pedal</b>.

...might want an attenuator, though. :D
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

Damn-Deal-Done
Orange Expert

Post by Damn-Deal-Done » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:28 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Satanic_Versus</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Damn-Deal-Done</i>
<br />Black Muff is a great pedal. Been using the same one since 1997 and it's been the one I've used over my many other fuzz pedals.

the green Muff is a SONIC pedal.. i mean yeah, a fuzz is a fuzz,, but if you do some research you will see that the Green Sovtek muff is one of the most sought after of all the muffs, and there are lots, this person is asking how to get stoner/doom, the vintage OR with a army green muff is a classic set up for this sound.

im big into muffs, im a fanatic on these things. iv owned them ALL and them some super rare ones, bare in mind that no two muffs are alike, and this applys here too ;)

Jon

I really don't get where you're getting off. Just because I love my Black Muff means all my other fuzz pedals are s---? that's what your saying? have you seen my signature?

I've never said the green muff was s--- either so why do you always come off as some militant argumentative prick? when ever anyone says anything to the contrary to your beliefs? I said the black Muff really isn't as bad as you make out, but I guess what you say must be the gospel even though my experience is quite different.

I've been recording with mine since 1997 and it's one great sound, especially through my OTR. But as you say, it sucks.

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:37 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Damn-Deal-Done</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Satanic_Versus</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Damn-Deal-Done</i>

Jon

I really don't get where you're getting off. Just because I love my Black Muff means all my other fuzz pedals are s---? that's what your saying? have you seen my signature?

I've never said the green muff was s--- either so why do you always come off as some militant argumentative prick? when ever anyone says anything to the contrary to your beliefs? I said the black Muff really isn't as bad as you make out, but I guess what you say must be the gospel even though my experience is quite different.

I've been recording with mine since 1997 and it's one great sound, especially through my OTR. But as you say, it sucks.

hey man, if you like it then thats great, whatever works for you. just my opinion,

everyone likes what they like, it should not matter what I or anyone thinks, if you like it then thats great. i can not disagree that that pedal does not do you well.

some folks think Strats that are not USA suck where other's find them perfect, its just personal opinion, please dont take me as if im telling you what you should and should not like.

sorry if i offended you, i did not mean to.

peace..

Jon

fibersnake
Orange Expert

Post by fibersnake » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:00 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrismathewsjr</i>
<br />Dude, you got an OR120.

Turn that thing up, it's stoner rock heaven <b>without a pedal</b>.

...might want an attenuator, though. :D

Agree except no need for the attenuator, just some far off neighbors!!

Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.

Mika Koffin

Post by Mika Koffin » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:21 pm

hey lads
thank you!
i will focuse on T Rex Mudhoney, Barber Triefecta and Green Muff!!!
Other band with great fuzzy sound :)
http://www.myspace.com/weedeater