Orange font

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

fredaubailly

Post by fredaubailly » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:36 pm

Hey,

I read a few days ago that somebody here made an Orange font. I'd like to get a look at it but I can't find it...
I already tried the search but I just got 750 pages of matching result... :x

Anybody knows ?

Thanks.
ImageImageImage

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:44 pm

i would also like to see this...
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:36 pm

EDIT: removed it, as not really liking talk of legal action...
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

fredaubailly

Post by fredaubailly » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks a lot. :)
ImageImageImage

crash
Orange Master

Post by crash » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:38 pm

Schweet!
ImageImage
Orange Master? Not Quite...
The Name's Daniel, but you can call me Crash
"If God had'na given me a song to sing, I wouldn't have a song to sing. The song comes from God, all the time." Bob Marley

kungfu
Orange Expert

Post by kungfu » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:07 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br />http://rapidshare.com/files/155553274/o ... t.ttf.html

Here it is, I just uploaded it to rapidshare. Enjoy. I have no idea about the legalities of this, not sure who created the font as it is here, I don't think Orange have copyright on it though as otherwise Matamp etc wouldn't be able to use it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks a lot!!

alexauxier
Forum Admin

Post by alexauxier » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:25 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>

Here it is, I just uploaded it to rapidshare. Enjoy. I have no idea about the legalities of this, not sure who created the font as it is here, I don't think Orange have copyright on it though as otherwise Matamp etc wouldn't be able to use it.

Tough to have a copyright on something you didn't create. To my knowledge we only have trademark rights on the entire logo as a whole, or perhaps just the O-R-A-N-G-E since the rest of the font was created by someone else entirely.

Don't quote me on that, though, since you could potentially get sued. :)
--
Alex Auxier
Orange Amps
Artist Relations Manager

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:48 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alexauxier</i>
<br />since you could potentially get sued. :)

Font lawsuit!?

What a world we live in.:(
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:49 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alexauxier</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>

Tough to have a copyright on something you didn't create. To my knowledge we only have trademark rights on the entire logo as a whole, or perhaps just the O-R-A-N-G-E since the rest of the font was created by someone else entirely.

Don't quote me on that, though, since you could potentially get sued. :)

The 'creator' of this font its Orange context, was my mother - who took the letters from a 60s typesetting book, I believe. I have the original draft to prove it, and Cliff confirmed that he remembers that when we wrote to him a few years ago.

As you say, I doubt Orange could sue for using the font in other ways, or I'd imagine Matamp and Electric Amp would've felt the burn a long time ago.

However, I have removed it from public access. If anyone is interested in the font, private message me - or if Orange wish me not to keep it, please contact me privately. I'd like to point out again that I was not the creator of this version of the font, it was another forum member - can't remember who that was now!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:34 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joker</i>
That's interesting, particularly since the US patent office lists the "inventor" as fellow forum member Richard Crediton-Hughes

Well, I don't know what I can say. I found the original typesetting board with the letters cut out and stuck on it when we were cleaning out my gran's house after she died, it was in amongst all my mum's art stuff from college - then she told me how she knew Cliff when he first started orange. She helped him as he was setting up the shop, and she did the typesetting on the logo as a favour (she is a graphic designer). I see no reason why she'd lie to me about that.

Here it is, along with a few other photos that were with it:

Teddy
I play an AD30TC

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:38 pm

P.S. I'm not claiming my mum owns the copyright in any way - she did the logo as a favour, and I am sure no official documents came into it at any stage.

Perhaps the current 'filled in' letters are considered a new typeface and were patented separately at a later date, as those letters there in that style predate Orange's existence by a decade or two. I've no idea how copyrighting works in typefaces - perhaps the copyright expired and Orange renewed it in their name?
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:52 pm

It's interesting that the patent was registered in 2007 and says it shows a 'face view of a type font showing my new design' - when clearly the font has existed for many decades prior to that. It appears to simply be a filled-in version of that 60s-70s font, with no other alterations. All a bit weird, if you ask me. It says the time the patent applies for is 14 years, so presumably if that is standard, the old patent could easily have expired.

I'm also intrigued by the Electric Amp reference! I thought those guys were a part of Matamp, then went their separate ways, but I wasn't aware of any connection to Orange. The plot thickens.
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:12 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joker</i>
<br />I think your Mom should sue Orange, Matamp, and Electric Amp!!! :mrgreen:

ahhh man!!!! think about all the free Orange, Matamp and Electric amp stuff you could get from a settlement :D WOW!!!!!

Jon

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Hehe, much as I'd like lots of free Orange stuff... :D ...as I said, she didn't do it as a profit thing anyhow and no legal stuff was ever signed, she was just happy to help. I'm pretty sure if anyone holds the rights, it'd be Cliff or whoever he has signed it to. That patent above is a bit weird, but I'm sure it is also patented separately in the UK.
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:27 pm

<br />So I emailed Richard asking about the font and patent and here are his responses:

Awesome info! Thanks Sooner.
Greg