What's the best full size humbucker?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:51 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br />However, I'd strongly advise against GFS, Tonerider etc if you're looking for top notch stuff - yes, they're great value for money and get you 80% there, but they aren't any better than what comes stock on any US or Japanese-made instrument in my experience, and I did try quite a few of the GFS pickups out of interest. Artec manufacture the GFS pickups and sell a lot of them under their own brand for even cheaper than GFS offer!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Oh yeah, they're not as good as the custom companies, but certainly for the Toneriders (not too sure about GFS: think they're hit & miss with some of their products), you get a lot of pickup for what you pay. In most cases they're quite a lot better than stock, and so a good option if you're on a budget or just want to tart up your main workhorse.

Toneriders are made by some English ex-pats out in Hong Kong. Haven't seen a bad review yet.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:24 pm

No mud in neck...chimey warm in bridge...Sheptones dude..hahahahahahaha

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:07 am

I am not pleased with the 57's in my SG either.It is not that they really sound bad,they just aren't really great sounding.I am debating on putting a Fralin P92 in the neck.Either that or calling Sheptone and getting something he makes.I like the guitar,and I hate to sell it.I am sure the right pickups would turn it around.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:10 am

Ditto. They are not bad, just not spectacular. They are kind of one trick IMO.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

notagain

Post by notagain » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:48 am

I love all you guys to death. But there is not a pickup
on the face of the planet that will improve your playing.
Practice and Practice...a Great Guitar Player can make any
PU sound incredible!

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:49 am

This is true :).

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:41 am

A friend of mine gave me his Angus Young Gibson pickup. I put it in the bridge of my Yamaha SGB200 (and SG copy of sorts). I was really surprised how good it sounds. It's a PAF that likes to distort. That said, I'm gonna put a Sheptone in the neck and get a pair for my ES-175 (it was built just before they started putting 57s in them) because basically Corky has always been right before.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:41 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by deadduck</i>
<br />I would say that for the PAF sound, Gibson '57 Classic or Classic + are very hard to beat. Seymour Duncan's '59 and Seth Lover are also very good.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ditto that. The 57 Classics are really great pickups....

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:13 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by deadduck</i>
<br />I would say that for the PAF sound, Gibson '57 Classic or Classic + are very hard to beat. Seymour Duncan's '59 and Seth Lover are also very good.

Ditto that. The 57 Classics are really great pickups....

I'll see your "Ditto" and raise you a "ditto":D

If your classic 57s are not quite there in that guitar, pots and caps could well be all it needs to wake it up. So little cost for so much change. gotta be worth the time to do it.
Here we go; three, four...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 am

Oh, by the way, here's something that may be of interest to PAF lovers on a budget - if you like that unpotted, classic PAF sound, you could do a lot worse than picking up some Gotoh Vintage MK2s, as used in the higher end Tokais. I love them in my ES120, and I have Seth Lovers in another guitar - they're pretty close in sound and feel. They come up pretty cheap on Ebay when people have taken them out of Tokais, but I bet they're pretty cheap new too! Worth a punt.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

bigdawg
Tiny Terror

Post by bigdawg » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:19 am

if you want authentic vintage tone speak to WB Pickups - the guy has supplies of 40 & 50 year old wire. Ive got a set of PG out of phase PAF copies - best pups Ive ever played - destroy bareknuckles head to head (and yes I use those too)

They do a to die for hot PAF copy too, what IVe got in my SG
Jesus said - Come forth and I will grant you eternal life...

But I only came fifth and got the kettle...

----------------------------------------

Dont knock on death's door....

Ring the bell and leggit.... that really p**ses him off

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:29 am

I've heard that Wolfetones are great.
Hugh

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:25 pm

Bob...we just put a pair of sheptone blu skys in the ES175 at the shop...WOW,,,it really kills..no more blanket sounds, way more open and sweet harmonics..the cleans with both pickups on is wonderful.

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Corky,

I don't think I ever asked about the specs on your Sheptone Hummers.
What wind did you get? Mags? Cover or no covers?

Mine are slightly hotter than the stock Tributes; 8.28k Bridge and 7.83 Neck, A5's (although I have some A4's that I have not tried yet), nickel covers.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:21 pm

I e-mailed Sheptone and he recommended Tributes for the ES-175 and an AB for the neck of my Yamaha.

My understanding is he will do whatever wind count and materials you request.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;