Might have a new amp tonight! EDIT: NEW AMP! :D

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:15 pm

I'm quite excited, a guy locally is selling his Matamp King Street combo so I've decided to go and try it. I'm hoping it has the vibe I'm after!

It looks like this:

I've been sorely tempted to do a custom order from the factory but to be honest this look is exactly how I want it! Classic and beautiful. I know Rachel will disagree and of course hot pink is good too... but I don't think I'd get away with that personally :D

I'm most interested to find out how it stands up to the AD30 volume-wise - it's allegedly 15 watts, but with 2 EL34s I'm expecting to be surprised.

Will let you folk know how it goes!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

fat controller
Orange Expert

Post by fat controller » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:21 pm

That's purty.

Teddy, I'm assuming you get mic'd at most of your gigs?

If you've got the money, honey I've got the time.

www.myspace.com/thievesonholiday
www.myspace.com/boheme66
www.furthermorebeer.com

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:23 pm

Sweet! :D Hope you like it! I think it looks awesome.
Being used, cuts out the long wait too!!!
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:33 pm

The Matamps are pretty loud.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:40 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fat controller</i>
<br />That's purty.

Teddy, I'm assuming you get mic'd at most of your gigs?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It really varies a lot! We also do quite a lot of small gigs in the kind of vibey, dirty little places where you don't need to be miced up :D The AD30 is more than loud enough for small club gigs, so I'm hoping the Matamp will be as well - I'm guessing any other amp manufacturer would rate it at about 30 watts, given its valve contingent. Only one way to find out for definite, of course, so I'll be cranking it as much as I can before parting with my wad of cash!!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:40 pm

Although having read your other post, maybe you want a less loud amp?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:46 pm

Looks great.

kungfu
Orange Expert

Post by kungfu » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:05 pm

If I ordered an amp from Matamp, I would definitely choose this one.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:07 pm

Yeah, I'm torn really Joe, I really don't think I need a 50-100 watt amp, 30 is already loud/too loud! what i really want is something a bit tighter, more 3D and more bottom endy than the AD30 - we will see :)
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Teddy........start by cranking the Master and then bring up the gain..that will tell you very quickly how loud it is and how much gain it has got.
Matamps generally don't like low master volume and hi preamp gain.
They also measure their output on clean volume before distortion.........so it just might well be as loud as the AD30.
Good luck! ;)
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Thanks for the tip Brian, I'll definitely try that master/gain thing! This model appears to have 'master', 'gain' AND 'volume' knobs - interested to know exactly how they interact!

Teddy
I play an AD30TC

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:45 pm

You might have a gain boost built into it then, as I've got gain, overdrive and master volume on my 1224 which has a gain boost.

I don't think it will be louder than the AD30, but still quite loud.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:00 pm

Yeah, I think it has a foot switchable gain boost. So will the gain boost pot only work when the switch is engaged, and the volume pot will control the preamp gain the rest of the time?
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Depends which one is hooked up to which, but broadly speaking, yes.

This is where a master volume defeat footswitch mod comes in really handy... you can run your "clean" sound with the master volume bypassed (effectively flat out on master volume), and then when you bring the gain boost in, it normally hikes the volume up a bit as you've just added another preamp valve into the equation. If you can - at the same time - switch the master volume back into play and have the dial turned down a little, it equalises the overall volume level of the gain boost, thus giving you an effective dirty channel with volume balanced to clean channel.

You can then bypass or defeat the master volume on the dirty channel to get a further volume boost if you want.

Fun eh?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Camf
Rocker

Post by Camf » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:07 pm

Good luck with the amp... I've been watching your progress on the matamp site. Sounds like a cracking amp.