Name some heads that are the clean version of a TT

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:32 am

What are some lower powered amp heads that could be considered "clean" versions of a Tiny Terror?

I'm looking for a practice/home amp in the 5 to 15 watt with reverb and maybe an FX loop. It should emphasize sparkling cleans rather than crunchy dirt like the TT. I want a head, not a combo, since I've run out of room in my practice corner. I want to run the head into my Avatar 1x12 cab with a G12H-30.

I suppose the Zvex Nano should be on the list.

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:34 am

AC 15.
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joshlespaul1952

Post by Joshlespaul1952 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:44 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Armchair Bronco</i>
<br />
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I don't.

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:47 am

No love for the Zvex, huh? The YouTube demos look OK, but there isn't much upside to this amp. And it's very expensive.

Joshlespaul1952

Post by Joshlespaul1952 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:55 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Armchair Bronco</i>
<br />No love for the Zvex, huh? The YouTube demos look OK, but there isn't much upside to this amp. And it's very expensive.
I like it for what it is...I just doubt you'd get much clean from it. I dunno though; I've never played one, just going on logic. Orphin/David might be of help though; he owns one.
Good luck!

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:09 am

<br />What are some lower powered amp heads that could be considered "clean" versions of a Tiny Terror?

I'm looking for a practice/home amp in the 5 to 15 watt with reverb and maybe an FX loop. It should emphasize sparkling cleans rather than crunchy dirt like the TT. I want a head, not a combo, since I've run out of room in my practice corner. I want to run the head into my Avatar 1x12 cab with a G12H-30.

I've spent about an hour with the Nano head...It sounds really great, I played through a 2x12 with G12's, but it didn't have much clean headroom, although I played it with a les paul. It sounded great for break up to crunch, but I can't really remember how the cleans were. It's almost as much as the AC15 though...Sorry, I didn't help much.

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:21 am

Well, at least it's a lot easier to try out guitar *amps* on site: I just need to show up with one of my guitars in a hard-shell case, get checked out at the door, and plug in. It's a lot harder to try out guitars @ home running into my Tiny Terror. :-)

sleejay
Orange Expert

Post by sleejay » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:21 am

Bad Cat Lil'15?
If I remember correctly, it has a clean channel, small, head, everything a TT has and more...
including price. lol
-Dai

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:15 am

If money isn't an issue, get a Dr. Z or get a Swart AST
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:11 am

Reeves Custom 12.
Hugh

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:12 am

Its kind of oxymoronic really. Its hard to have a low wattage amp with lots of clean headroom by their very nature. You want loud clean go with lots of watts and just turn it down.
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:17 am

How about one of the many small Fenders? Though as others have said, for usable cleans at low volume you might as well just get something with a little more power and headroom but keep the volume down.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:24 pm

As I've said before, for this type of application, I'm a big fan of the Deluxe Reverb because it has enough headroom to get Twin-ish cleans and lower to mid volumes, but if you do ever want to crank it you can since it's relatively low power.
- Nathan

notagain

Post by notagain » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:47 pm

One word....."Carter"
check them out, hand wired,
can use 6V6, EL34's or 6L6's.
for the price they are in a class
all their own...incredible

http://www.carteramps.com

great headroom and it easily destroys many "boutique" amps costing triple the price!

hellhazard
Orange Expert

Post by hellhazard » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:53 pm

<br />What are some lower powered amp heads that could be considered "clean" versions of a Tiny Terror?

No extension speaker capability, unless you doctored it ..... Orange Crush 30r
-Vito

140watt Matamp GTv TwinChannel
ImageImageImage