Opening the PPC212 cab..

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:23 pm

Seems like no one here even knows what screw extractors are. I don't know the name for it in Swedish but I've descibed how they work and no one has ever heard of them. [:0]

So anyway, I bought a set of regular metal drills today, and I'm having a nightmare drilling of the head of the screw. I've already broken one of the drills in two.

It's like the drills drill for a while and then they don't dig anymore. Why must this be such a f pain in my ass!?

My wrist is so sore right now.. :evil:
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:42 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I've been perfecting ways of making ceiling wax...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You must have a daughter that Mick Jagger is having a breakdown over!! :D
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:35 pm

<b>Update:</b>

Just broke another drill. Just popped in two pieces as I applied too much pressure. This one screw still screws me over, big time. God how I hate Orange right now..
David

ibaneziac
Tiny Terror

Post by ibaneziac » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:31 pm

maybe, you're drilling the wrong way :)

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ibaneziac</i>
<br />maybe, you're drilling the wrong way :)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
I don't know. I've given up. See if my tech can help me tomorrow when I pick up my Musicman.
David

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:06 am

Hahaha. I just found out the swedish name for screw extractor. It's grispitt which translates to pigd!ck. Hilarious.
David

bigdawg
Tiny Terror

Post by bigdawg » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:25 am

I work on motorbike engines a lot and first rule is get the right tool for the job. Why'severyone usingelectronic screwdrivers, they're trash, oh and cheap drill bits are not to be used on metal anything, you need specific hardened drillbits to drill into any type of metal.

Get the right sized screwdriver for the screw (there are huge variations of styles and sizes) it'll come out easy. For those guys that have messed up the screwheads you'll need the proper drill bit to take them out, don't try anymore shortcuts you'll make a mess of the cab...
Jesus said - Come forth and I will grant you eternal life...

But I only came fifth and got the kettle...

----------------------------------------

Dont knock on death's door....

Ring the bell and leggit.... that really p**ses him off

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:12 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br />I'm afraid to unscrew any more screws. It's impossible to remove them without leaving marks. Luckily the marks already made are all on the back..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Ouch!<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ibaneziac</i>
<br />maybe, you're drilling the wrong way :)
<br />
I don't know. <b>I've given up.</b> See if my tech can help me tomorrow when I pick up my Musicman.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Glad to hear you've given up! It sounds like you were <i>butchering</i> that poor cab. :?

The wood screws in a high power cab like that are <u>supposed</u> to be tight or you'll quickly get rattling / loosening off of the big back panel with the huge vibration. The Orange cabs are <i>designed</i> to be tight!!! And to remove tight screws you need the right tools and technique. I'm betting the end of your screwdriver bit is every bit as chewed up as those drill bits are broken!

Your Orange cab was <i>very</i> well made. (Unprofessional? No way...[:(!])

Don't blame <u>it</u> if you didn't use the right tools properly in the first place. It was put together properly. Just let someone else open it properly, and remove the broken bits.

Really sorry you hate Orange so much these days David. And sorry if you think I'm being a bit harsh. But really, blaming the cab...?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br />bump
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:15 pm

So I visited the tech today and he helped me with the shutted screw.
When watching him drill the screw I saw that I wasn't using enough violence. He had to drill like a maniac to kill that screw.
So finally we got the back panel of and he tried to unscrew the screw with pliers. It was <b>still stuck!</b>
He managed to get a couple of turns but eventually the screw just snapped. He said he had never seen anything like it before.
Too bad I didn't keep that screw so I could take a picture of it. You wouldn't recognize it, I promise you. ;)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Don't blame it if you didn't use the right tools properly in the first place. It was put together properly. Just let <b>someone else</b> open it properly<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Of course. Why should a loser like I try to open it, when a professional can do it properly. :?:evil:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The wood screws in a high power cab like that are supposed to be tight or you'll quickly get rattling<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
There's a difference between screwed tight and screwed like it shouldn't possible to open. 12 of these 14 screws were alright. 2 of them wasn't.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Why'severyone usingelectronic screwdrivers, they're trash<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Maybe, but doing this by hand just wouldn't be possible unless you're this guy:

<br />
<i>Worlds strongest man. He's a Swede by the way.</i> ;)
David

heliosdavid
Rocker

Post by heliosdavid » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:46 pm

ever tried a "grabit"? http://www.4grabit.com/

got something similar at wallyworld for cheap... seems to work well.

Another suggestion, try using an impact driver to loosen them up.

:D
http://www.stellatemusic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:16 pm

why the hell do you want to get inside it anyway. using the right tool would have had it done right the first time, if your not handy you should not trying to take such a thing apart.

this should solve your broken screw problem :D

my motto is: "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ;)

Jon

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:14 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Satanic_Versus</i>
<br />why the hell do you want to get inside it anyway. using the right tool would have had it done right the first time, if your not handy you should not trying to take such a thing apart.

this should solve your broken screw problem :D

my motto is: "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ;)

Jon

<br />
:D

Great! That is the right tool for the job! ;)
David

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:18 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by heliosdavid</i>
<br />ever tried a "grabit"? http://www.4grabit.com/
<br />
Seems like a great tool. However I don't think I can buy them in Sweden.
David