a melody maker like guitar (left handed)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

hithere
Orange Expert

Post by hithere » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:11 am

hey guys I have been recently downsizing my guitar collection, shooting for a standard american tele, but my gibson sg special may not be my guitar. It doesn't sit well with my body, and the shape isn't really my favorite.

I really dig the melody maker shape, but obviously gibson doesn't even sell them for lefties, I need this guitar to replace my sg and to be a humbucker guitar, so any companies out there to help me out? this would be my heavier sounding guitar.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:56 am

Why do you say a Melody maker specifically? Do you mean the double cutaway Melody Makers, or the Les Paul kinda one? The current production Melody Makers have single coils - wouldn't a humbucker-equipped single cutaway Melody Maker be a Les Paul basically? :D

For a much better deal and for much more choice as a lefty, I'd check out Taniguchi Gakki - it's an ALL LEFTY Japanese guitar shop! They don't ship internationally but I know some people over there who would buy one and ship it to you, puts the price up slightly but you end up with a great guitar for the money.

Their selection of Tokais is great - http://www.taniguchi-gakki.com/catalog/ ... th=137_144 - think these beauties will get you pretty close to that Melody Maker/Junior vibe. I know you specificed humbuckers, but I guarantee you'll love a P90-equipped Les Paul style guitar too!

Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

hithere
Orange Expert

Post by hithere » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:29 pm

hey thanks! your a lefty right? I inspected my search more (not that familiar with gibsons) and something like a les paul junior single cut would be the kind of shape I am looking for. But I need it to be regular humbuckers.

I am looking at these shapes because the sg isn't really the shape for me, that melds well with my body. The horns are also a too metal (when I'm not feeling metal) ahahah but it just isn't the right sounding or feeling guitar for me, and I am digging these shapes.

crash
Orange Master

Post by crash » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:03 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hithere</i>
<br />

I am looking at these shapes because the sg isn't really the shape for me, that melds well with my body. The horns are also a too metal (when I'm not feeling metal) ahahah but it just isn't the right sounding or feeling guitar for me, and I am digging these shapes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

kinda funny, I don't see the SG really as a metal guitar. There are versions of it that are, but not the sg in general.
ImageImage
Orange Master? Not Quite...
The Name's Daniel, but you can call me Crash
"If God had'na given me a song to sing, I wouldn't have a song to sing. The song comes from God, all the time." Bob Marley

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:26 pm

I'm a lefty too, yeah :) If it's the shape you want, and only humbuckers, then the guitar you want is just your ordinary Les Paul. Melody Makers and Juniors have single coils and p90s. Get yourself a nice lefty Japanese Les Paul from Tokai, Ibanez, Burny, Greco, Edwards, Orville... plenty to choose from. Just make sure it's Japanese if you don't want to part with the money for American!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

hithere
Orange Expert

Post by hithere » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:07 pm

sorry one more question though, I was under the impression that the juniors were a little smaller and sleeker and not as chunky or big as les pauls? at least it looks that way in pictures

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:42 am

Are you in America? Is it the weight, or the neck profile that bothers you? Rondo Music sells some Agile Les Paul knockoffs that get great reviews on the net, and can be ordered specifically with thin necks. That's one option. I'm afraid you simply aren't going to find a left handed guitar with an exact Melody Maker body and humbuckers - I'm not even sure you could find that combination in a righty, as far as I'm aware they didn't ever make them with humbuckers...
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

JXG
Orange Master

Post by JXG » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:01 am

If you're in the UK or Europe, Gordon Smith are worth checking out - no upcharge for lefties
http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/produ ... y.php?id=1
John

thenewkid
Rocker

Post by thenewkid » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:16 am

try find a les paul vixen, thats if they even came out left handed.
James
ImageImage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bandeapart</i>
<br />I think we're all the crazy guy on the Orange forum... look how much time we waste here each day.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:29 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thenewkid</i>
<br />try find a les paul vixen, thats if they even came out left handed.

Very unlikely - Gibson are one of the worst companies for lefties, hence me preferring MIJ instruments. Not only do they overcharge (+15% on new models for lefty), they are also very bad at making any at all. Even the 'common' Gibsons like the Flying V are no longer produced as lefties. Second hand prices are stupid, I've seen Vs sell for twice as much as their used righty counterparts of the same model and age. I seriously doubt a model like the Vixen was ever done as a lefty!
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

hithere
Orange Expert

Post by hithere » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:34 pm

hey guys thanks so much for the replies, It seems I will settle for one pickup, and that is cool, just will use the tone control more for that guitar. But I forgot seeing the Gordon Smith site and seeing one and thinking they were beautiful.

Exactly what am I looking for, except I live in the u.s. Big shipping costs? I hear the quality is great quality woods? will hold up like a standard gibson?