Carvin Guitars anyone??

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

DarkPoet
Tiny Terror

Post by DarkPoet » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:17 pm

Well now that my amp search is done, I am starting to look for a new guitar. I know I won't be able to afford a custom PRS which I would love, and I won't be able to afford a Gibson, so I have been searching the cheaper guitars to see whats out there. This brings me to Carvin.

There California Carved Top series is the look I love, and you can get a custom made one for over 1/2 less then a PRS. Only problem, no store has them, unless a used one comes in.

I know I have to try it to see if I like playing it, but I wanted to see what you all thought of Carvin. Any info on how they play, how there pickup's sound would be great. Thanks guys.

Will
Rockerverb 50 Head
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall 1960b 4X12

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:30 pm

I have played a used one from the eighties, and it was very nice. Well constructed, no flaws considering it was twenty years old. Sounded great through a gibson combo tube amp. And they were still asking over a grand for it, so they must hold their value to some extent. But I am with you on the try before you buy, but from the one I tried I wouldn't hesitate too much, but definately ask others opinions. And for what it is worth, Joe Walsh uses them, so they can't be that bad.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

notagain

Post by notagain » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:53 pm

I had one of the old DC Stereo 150's. Great neck, didn't care that much for their pickups, but extremely well made with quality parts.

Have you checked into the Reverends?
I have one and am still amazed. Great
finish, great sounding P-90's, superb
fret job. $399.00 on ebay, a steal,
it's the tobacco sunbust Les Paul looking
guitar in my signature. Has 11's, incredibly
low action, makes em feel like 10's. And the
bass contour knob is fantastic for your tone.

[:0][:0][:0]

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:03 pm

i would love the semi-hollow holdsworth carvin. soooooo awsome. iv only heard great things but never played one...
valve.(((J0HN)))Resident village idiot
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:11 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notagain</i>
<br />I had one of the old DC Stereo 150's. Great neck, didn't care that much for their pickups, but extremely well made with quality parts.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I am with Mark. Great guitars , but I hated thier pickups and electronics.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

DarkPoet
Tiny Terror

Post by DarkPoet » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks for the responses. I have heard really good things about the necks and actions. Pickups are hit and miss, but is that more the older models? Anyone try any of the newer pickups? I have also heard that it is now easier to switch the pickups out then it was in the old days. Any other opinions would be great. Thanks guys.

Will
Rockerverb 50 Head
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall 1960b 4X12

JXG
Orange Master

Post by JXG » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:45 am

I did some work on a Carvin a couple of weeks ago, and it wasn't great to be honest. It was about 4 years old, had loads of loose frets, issues with the way the Sperzel locking tuners had been installed, and the pickups weren't great (had a Fishman so onboard preamp that worked on pickups too). Hopefully this one guitar isn't representative of what they put out.
John