A funny thing about my Orange cabs.....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

deadkult

Post by deadkult » Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:36 pm

I was replacing a speaker in one of my cabinets and I looked on the back at the plate w/ the serial # on it amd it said it was rated at 120 watts rms, but when I opened the back it has 4 Vintage 30s in it which would make it a 240 watt cab and it has the golden pipe strips. Well, another of my Orange cabs is marked the same way and has the Vin30s as well but has black pipe strip. Both of these cabs' serial #s end with 10-02. I received my other 2 Orange cabs on Friday and they are marked 240watts, both have the black pipe strips and the serial #s end with 11-02. Could it be that they just marked the first 2 cabs wrong, but the gold vs black pipe strips puzzle me. Anyone know anything? Thanks guys!!!!!!! Chad

doom on......
doom on......

ecto coolest
Rocker

Post by ecto coolest » Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:55 pm

mine was also rated at 120 watts even though it had 240 watts worth of vintage 30s in it. mine has black piping, although i wish it had the gold piping to match my old or120 head. i was told by the retailer i bought the cab from that the 120 watt labeling error probably occured because whoever wrote on the plates thought a vintage 30 speaker was named so because it was 30 watts. seems odd that someone working for orange would make that kind of mistake...but anything is possible i guess.

my gear:
www.geocities.com/ecto_coolest/page5.html
1971 OR120 (Plexi Panel, Big Pix Only)
1994 Fender Jaguar (Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, Gibson Nashville Bridge)
2002 PPC412 (British V30s)