Prices

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

The Trickster

Post by The Trickster » Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:29 pm

Hello,

I am wondering how much a new orange AD200B would cost, floor price. I was also wondering if it gets tone like Radiohead or Sigur Ros.

Thom

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:44 am

DAVE11

Post by DAVE11 » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:44 am

Thom

Keep in mind the prices listed off of the site are retail. Realisticly you could track down an AD200 for $* to $* U.S. dollars. If you pay anything over 2000 thats a bit excessive.

If you are serious about buying one remember the demand far outweighs the supply for these heads. You could easily wait 4 months or more for one. Your best option is to call the guys at Orange and find out which dealers are at the top of the waiting list for AD200 heads then you can start talking price.

As far as tone goes I don't know if I would compare it to a modern tone like Radiohead, etc. I think the AD200 produces a more mid-range sound that has character, warmth, and that vintage sound.

One more thing I feel that the AD200 sounds the best when paired up with Orange cabs. So if you have the money to buy an Orange cab, or two, you are in business. I didn't care for the sound when I was playing my AD200 through my Ampeg cabs. I hope this helps.

*Sorry! You can't discuss prices on this forum. - Admin

ecto coolest
Rocker

Post by ecto coolest » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:10 pm

i was just looking at the 1x15 orange bass cab today at the local dealer. they want $* for it. seems like a lot for a cabinet as small as it is. but i didn't play through it either, so maybe its worth it. the 4x10 orange cab probably costs $*-$* at the dealer.

my gear:
www.geocities.com/ecto_coolest/page5.html

1971 OR120 (Plexi Panel, Big Pix Only)
1994 Fender Jaguar (Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, Gibson Nashville Bridge)
2002 PPC412 (British V30s)

peter6toy
Orange Expert

Post by peter6toy » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:55 am

Orange AD200B Class 'AB' Bass Amplifier Head ....

In another post on this board I talked about it, but sinds my frustration is only worse sinds then ...

November 2002 (almost 4 MONTHS ago) I ordered a AD200B ... The price, 1950 Euro's inc. VAT or Tax, * without Tax, including shipping ...

But I just want to add that today, februari 28, I don't have it yet ... So i'm getting pretty desperate ... Is it ORANGE ? Is it my dealer (the only one in belgium / Holland so ...) I don't know what to think, but I'm pretty sure that when "end march" my ORANGE isn't on top of my AMPEG cabinet, i'll go for an ampeg or something else. ORANGE is cool, ORANGE is good, but ORANGE IS SLOW. And I have respect for it, but don't push it ...

peter ... (madly in love, with an orange far far away, not even build yet ??)

peter
www.sixtoys.be

peter
AD200B-MKII (#083/090) / OBC810 (199x) / OBC410 (2006) / OD120 (1976) / ORANGE 'TOASTER' Micro-amp

DAVE11

Post by DAVE11 » Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:23 pm

Peter

I had a very similar episode with Orange when I was buying my AD200 head. I was waiting for months and months, like you, wondering where it was, was it even built yet? etc..

Here's what I suggest. Get a hold of someone at Orange in the U.K. and determine what order the waiting list is for the AD200 heads. They should tell you what order the dealers are going to recieve these bad boys. Then once you know which dealer is first on the list call them up. You can find the numbers and addy's of all dealers on this web site. Find out if they are willing to ship to you, what price they are selling the head for and all those kinds of details. I'm just not sure if you will run into problems if for example there's a dealer in Germany or the U.K. that's getting a head in if they'll send it to you. I'm assuming trade is pretty open within the EU regardless of what country you are in. I hope this helps. It's probably better than waiting for the dealer that you originally went through.

One last thing, remember Peter there are roughly 80 AD200 bass heads in the entire WORLD right now. They are hard to come by.

peter6toy
Orange Expert

Post by peter6toy » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:22 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanx for the advice and response. The problem is this. I'm not going to take it into details, but it comes to this: trough that dealer I have a discount of * Euro's (or dollars ...). That means without the VAT or TAX (21%). So I tought about buying in Germany (found a store with a AD200B in stock), but then it is without the "discount" ... And for what I know, the dealer in Belgium has pretty good relations with ORANGE on London, only the problem is that the AD200B is somthing that they don't make every week ... so ..

But, I called in last friday, and he promised me that it will be okay within 2 weeks. ORANGE is at a big music-event in Keulen (Köln) in Germany, and after that event the shipping will start. Mine is ordered back in november, so they told me that I should be on top of the list ... but who know ?

I know that if the AD200B is not here in max 4 weeks, I think about kicking my dealer's ass, and taking another option (Germany store, or calling Orange for the trick you told me about ...)

And it's cool to know that there are only 80 worldwide ... But can you tell me how it SOUNDS ??? That's a problem ... nobody in Belgium has one ... I can't go and try somewhere so ...

let's hope for the best (again ...)

peter
www.sixtoys.be

peter
AD200B-MKII (#083/090) / OBC810 (199x) / OBC410 (2006) / OD120 (1976) / ORANGE 'TOASTER' Micro-amp

DAVE11

Post by DAVE11 » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:44 pm

Peter

Goodluck with the entire Orange situation. It's a nightmare because nearly the same thing happened to me, but trust me it is worth the wait.

I wish you would have played one before ordering. That's a golden rule, always play it first! My concern is that I hope you like it because it's a bit of a different sound. Not exactly modern. I luv mine, but I also luv my setup. I have an AD200 head running through two 4x10 Orange cabs. They were built for each other. In my opinion the Orange cabs have more of a mid-range tone to them. If you want to you can get some very punchy tone out of them. But, that's not what I'm looking for. I think they sound great. Classic all tube tone. The bottom end is vintage and full. There is so much power and sustain. When I play out with it I never have to bring the volume above half way.

When I play the AD200 through my Ampeg cabs I don't think it sounds as good. It doesn't produce the full, warm, bottom end that I get out of my Ampeg heads. The Orange through Ampeg setup was a bit empty or even hollow. I like to stick to Ampeg heads w/Ampeg cabs and vice versa with the Orange goods. I hope this helps.

Dave

by the way if you have any other questions, problems, etc just ask peter