Calling laptop recording engineers!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

wkturn2008
Orange Expert

Post by wkturn2008 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:30 am

Ok, so I got this new computer for work (from work)and downloaded Audacity to record song ideas and maybe demos. I have many questions. Do you guys use click tracks? Should the click track be a separate track? Do I need to use a mixer for stereo recording? My simple plan is to record the main rhythm guitar part on track 1 (or 2 if I use a click track), then the vocal, then bass, then a lead guitar, then maybe try to record a live drummer. Any tips or help would be appreciated.
Will Turner
http://wildwillyturner.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok here's my gear:

Jackson Dinky
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall half stack
Kustom the Defender
Micro Terror on PPC108
Orange Blaster
much more

Sethery
Orange Hero

Post by Sethery » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:40 am

First, if you are on a budget and want a simple setup for now, go get a basic audio interface. Presonus makes a decent one for like $150 now that connects to the firewire input on your laptop. Assuming you have mics and a decent pair of headphones you should be ready to go. Although i suggest grabbing either a shure beta 57 or a shure sm-57 to mic guitar and other things, they are cheap and get the job done.

If you want your recordings to be presentable, click track is a must. Makes things easier for you doing overdubs and whatnot anyway.

For drums, I've just thrown a condensor (Rode NTa-A) over a whole kit and it picks everything up fine, then some post compression to make it sound ok.
Love, Seth.
Orange PPC-212
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb dual rectifier
Rockerverb50H
PRS Custom 22 ten-top
Ibanez "law suit" Les Paul
Ibanez Jet King
Lots of Pedals (Gonkulator Ring Modulator is my favorite)
http://www.myspace.com/sethsoloproject
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27795172@N05/

wkturn2008
Orange Expert

Post by wkturn2008 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:57 am

Me and the drummer were discussing the mic over a whole kit idea earlier, I was concerned about too much cymbal sound that way. Another question: could I use my powered mixer? I have a Shure SM58 a Shure PE54D that looks like an SM57 and an old EV for recording.
Will Turner
Ok here's my gear:

Jackson Dinky
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall half stack
Kustom the Defender
Micro Terror on PPC108
Orange Blaster
much more

SRSbluez83
Tiny Terror

Post by SRSbluez83 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:51 pm

Check Musicians Friend or Sweetwater for some beginner recording packages. Usually loaded with a simple audio interface w/ pre-amps (make it is compatible with your laptop/Operating System & meets the memory requirements), monitors, headphones, a mic, cable, & mic stand.

If you plan on adding a drummer, use a print a click track. Also, CD/DVDS of music loops (drums, percussion, bass, keys, etc.) are widely available if you've got a late-night, hot track, that just can't wait til' morning for a drummer to lay down the tracks.

Damn-Deal-Done
Orange Expert

Post by Damn-Deal-Done » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Check out my myspace, no drummer in sight. Just me and my computer and EZDrummer.

buscemi
Orange Expert

Post by buscemi » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:01 am

I'd get a decent interface (they are cheap) with enough inputs to do however many people you are recording at the same time. I prefer three or four mics on drums (Google recorderman method and the Glyn Jons method of recording drums - both are spectacular AND simple) and rarely will I close mic any drums (again see how these methods work). Also, if Audacity can't provide a non-printed click while setting a tempo for a project I'd ditch it and get a better program. There are often "lite" versions of pro-grade audio programs included with interfaces. Cubase with Yamaha gear and others (I got Cubase LE with an old Presonus interface I bought, for example) and others with different manufacturers' interfaces.

Pick up some other mics for the drums, if you can. You don't have to get EarthWorks or other semi-expensive microphones to have your drums sound good. Find a couple of nice condensers ("pencil" style are great for overheads and commonly used but don't limit yourself with confines like that - I've used large-diaphragm condensers as the overheads for example, and others have used SM58s and other non-traditional choices) and something to get more kick (I love an RE-20 near, not in, the kick personally - it isn't just for voiceovers! But that might be overkill for your current needs).

Damn-Deal-Done: EZDrummer rocks! I love it too. I like to split up the channels, get as dry a mix as I can out of it though they are already processed, then throw some UAD plugins on certain parts of the kit to give it some color.
- Peter
ImageImage
We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:13 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wkturn2008</i>
<br />Ok, so I got this new computer for work (from work)and downloaded Audacity to record song ideas and maybe demos. I have many questions. Do you guys use click tracks?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
My band has receantly started using click track when we record in studio, but with a song I'm working on now we chose not to do it because we wanted a free flow and at one part we are intentionally speeding up the song (accelerando)

If I were to record just a song idea, I wouldn't bother using a click track unless I would have a particular reason for that.

If you haven't recorded to click tracks before, you might lose a lot of feel in your playing by doing so. But recording for fun with your new computer is a great way to practice recording stuff along a click track for when it's time for the real deal.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Should the click track be a separate track?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
The click track is not a real track, it's the internal clock of your recording software. You can turn the click on an off at any time, and when recording like this you can work with separate bars when editing.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Do I need to use a mixer for stereo recording?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Don't really get the question, but what you need is a soundcard that can handle this type of work (a card with ASIO drivers).
Many moons ago when I first installed Cubase I had a Soundblaster sound card and I realized pretty fast that it wouldn't work as the tracks I recorded didn't sync at all. :x

If you have at least two input channels on your soundcard you can make a stereo recording. But you will also need two preamp channels and two mics. ;)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My simple plan is to record the main rhythm guitar part on track 1 (or 2 if I use a click track), then the vocal, then bass, then a lead guitar, then maybe try to record a live drummer. Any tips or help would be appreciated.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
That's not the most common way to record music though.
Usually you record the drums first, because even if the click will keep the tempo, the drummer will still be responsible for the main groove.
I think that if you record everything backwards like you suggest, the music won't groove and sound organic.

My tip is to install EZdrummer and lay the drumtracks first. This drummer will play perfectly along the internal clock, and he grooves. ;)[:p]
You don't ever have to use the click.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

wkturn2008
Orange Expert

Post by wkturn2008 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:37 pm

David, thank you so much those great answers to ALL my questions. I really appreciate it. Oh yeah, thanks very much to everyone else who answered, as well.
Will Turner
Ok here's my gear:

Jackson Dinky
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall half stack
Kustom the Defender
Micro Terror on PPC108
Orange Blaster
much more

wkturn2008
Orange Expert

Post by wkturn2008 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:53 pm

update: Audacity sucked for me, I couldn't get anything I recorded "live" to sync with the electronic drums. I switched to ACID pro but instead of looping I recorded all "one shots" except for the electronic drums. I may experiment with recording one rhythm guitar verse track and looping it, then one chorus track and looping etc. then do a "one shot" vocal track then lead guitar. I need a bass to record with now. I have a digital keyboard for bass but I'd rather play a reall 4 string. I got a decent 4 track song demo this way but I seriously need an interface. Plugging a mike straight into the line in with an XLR to 1/4" adapter to an 1/8" adapter is too heavy for the laptop's input. My son said it "sounds like a real song" (he's 7).
Will Turner
Ok here's my gear:

Jackson Dinky
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall half stack
Kustom the Defender
Micro Terror on PPC108
Orange Blaster
much more

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:01 am

Find out if your drummer can play along with a click track. It may sound like it would be simple, but many very good drummers have problems with this. I made this mistake and now have to start over with recording the drums, bass, and rhythm guitar first.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;