wat is the official story of the green amps

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:03 am

ive heard a couple of story and i know its built out of orange parts but isnt there like a story behind the making or something
i own a orange ad140 and a 412 fender super sonic cab
...and a lot of other junk

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:01 am

buy the Matamp book

Jon

dylan
Orange Master

Post by dylan » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:19 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by llldavid</i>
<br />ive heard a couple of story and i know its built out of orange parts but isnt there like a story behind the making or something
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

made by matamp ( www.matamp.com ), matamp used to make amps for orange, then they went there seperate ways at some point, i dont know the full story but im sure somebody will chip in.

P.S, hellhazard has one and i do believe he is fairly impresed by it8)

peace

dylan
~Ian~

Gigady, Gigady, Gigady!

orangeape
Orange Hero

Post by orangeape » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:17 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dylan</i>

P.S, hellhazard has one and i do believe he is fairly impresed by it8)

peace

dylan

Vito has not stopped smiling since!:?:
What is Rrrajo?

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:46 pm

They're Matamp made amps presumeably named after the engineer Dave Green. They were heavily vintage circuit orientated and very nice sounding amps. Very well built too. Probably some of the best modern constructed amps out there.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:04 pm

http://www.matamp.com/mat-mathias.html

"Jeff needed a fresh new product that revels in the MATAMP heritage and had to make use of the spares and left over parts in this Huddersfield shop. In 1993 the debut of GREEN Matamp was presented to the world and again MATAMP unknowingly started a "revolution of the sound".

The GREEN Matamp line was introduced as a tribute to Peter Green. Peter had recently madea new return into the industry with his Splinter Group. The GREEN Matamp amplifiers and cabinets never gained popularity in the UK. Nobody understood the connection to Peter Green, and thought the amps were made by "Orange". Production was slow, sales were slower, and there was no marketing except in the Huddersfield Examiner periodically."
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

hellhazard
Orange Expert

Post by hellhazard » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:16 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by llldavid</i>
<br />ive heard a couple of story and i know its built out of orange parts but isnt there like a story behind the making or something
Built out of Orange parts? Possibly MATAMP had some leftover Orange chassis or parts from thier run of OTR Orange amps in the 90's but I know for a fact that there is absloutly NO Orange parts in my GTV.

RADIO CRAFT is the true name of MATAMP. MATAMP is a product name, such as SONY TRINITRON.
RADIO CRAFT was opened by Mat Mathias in 1958.
The MATAMP SERIES 2000 was made in 1963
MATAMP began building amps for Cliff Cooper of ORANGE in the late 60's. They were MATAMP made ORANGE amps.
Business ties broke in early 70's, Matamp remained MATAMP. ORANGE became ORANGE - VOICE OF THE WORLD
-Vito

140watt Matamp GTv TwinChannel
ImageImageImage

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:29 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br />http://www.matamp.com/mat-mathias.html

"Jeff needed a fresh new product that revels in the MATAMP heritage and had to make use of the spares and left over parts in this Huddersfield shop. In 1993 the debut of GREEN Matamp was presented to the world and again MATAMP unknowingly started a "revolution of the sound".

The GREEN Matamp line was introduced as a tribute to Peter Green. Peter had recently madea new return into the industry with his Splinter Group. The GREEN Matamp amplifiers and cabinets never gained popularity in the UK. Nobody understood the connection to Peter Green, and thought the amps were made by "Orange". Production was slow, sales were slower, and there was no marketing except in the Huddersfield Examiner periodically."
Cool! I always thought they were named after Dave green :oops:

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:11 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Wicks</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br />http://www.matamp.com/mat-mathias.html

"Jeff needed a fresh new product that revels in the MATAMP heritage and had to make use of the spares and left over parts in this Huddersfield shop. <b>In 1993 the debut of GREEN Matamp was presented to the world and again MATAMP unknowingly started a "revolution of the sound"

The GREEN Matamp line was introduced as a tribute to Peter Green. Peter had recently madea new return into the industry with his Splinter Group.</b> The GREEN Matamp amplifiers and cabinets never gained popularity in the UK. Nobody understood the connection to Peter Green, and thought the amps were made by "Orange". Production was slow, sales were slower, and there was no marketing except in the Huddersfield Examiner periodically."
<b>Cool! I always thought they were named after Dave green</b> :oops:
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yeah, me too. I still do in fact!

Wonder if history hasn't just been re-written there a shade myself. Could this have anything to do with it?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayden_(el ... s_company))

At the end of 2007 it was announced that Dave Green who was Matamps chief engineer would be joining Hayden full time as 'Valve Amp Guru'.

The first Peter Greens Splinter Group album was recorded in 1997. As far as I know he had only been playing publicly again since the previous year - after a gap of many years. He certainly wasn't back in public in '94 when Gary Moore put out his own 'Blues For Greeny album. In fact in August '94 'Guitarist magazine (UK) published a very exclusive interview with Green who at that point certainly wasn't back performing in public.

For the previous couple of years an Essex farmer named Patrick Harper had apparently been going around the music industry pretending to be Green. He had managed to convince many people he was the real thing, largely because the real Green had been a total reclusive and was totally aware of 'his' alleged appearances / comments.

So 1993 then Matamp? Tribute to Peter Green? Eh...?

Look, way I see it there is a lot of BS flying about re Matamp history and the Orange connections. Personally I take much of it with a HUGE pinch of salt. Matamp accuse Orange of trying to change history. Clearly not something they'd ever dream of doing themselves. [:0]

As a.hun likes to point out here occasionally:

"In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!"

So true!

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:30 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hellhazard</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by llldavid</i>
Built out of Orange parts? Possibly MATAMP had some leftover Orange chassis or parts from thier run of OTR Orange amps in the 90's but I know for a fact that there is absloutly NO Orange parts in my GTV.

RADIO CRAFT is the true name of MATAMP. MATAMP is a product name, such as SONY TRINITRON.
RADIO CRAFT was opened by Mat Mathias in 1958.
The MATAMP SERIES 2000 was made in 1963
MATAMP began building amps for Cliff Cooper of ORANGE in the late 60's. They were MATAMP made ORANGE amps.
Business ties broke in early 70's, Matamp remained MATAMP. ORANGE became ORANGE - VOICE OF THE WORLD

I think orange went onto Gibson/Trace Elliot. Not sure who theyre owned by now.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:52 am

Orange is owned by Orange and was never owned by Gibson or Trace Eliot.

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:04 pm

Some of the amps in the UK were manufactured for Orange by Trace Elliot. Some of the AD15s fall into this category, but I'm not sure regarding other models.
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

Damn-Deal-Done
Orange Expert

Post by Damn-Deal-Done » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:41 pm

There would be no new orange today if it wasn't for Gibson. The Orange history says that Cliff licensed the name to Gibson to start manufacturing the re-issues in the 90's, Cliff couldn't do this himself due to not having the money.

There has been no re-issue OR amps since Cliff parted ways and started doing new amps such as the AD line. We are led to believe this is by choice, but I imagine this is down to Gibson or someone else, other than Orange, owning these designs.

Gibson probably started using Trace Elliot, then moved onto Matamp to build the re-issues.

Notice the official name of the company changed many times. 70's, then 90's, and now present. Different companies, different amps. ????? someone will know more.

---GREEN---

When Matamp were building Orange amps, they were indeed using the parts to build Green Amps, they were also using parts from other companies. Look at the Matamps from that period, they resemble a few companies. Not sure how long this went on before they cleaned up and made them purelly with choice parts.

Evidence of GreenMatamp built with Orange/Gibson parts - http://www.planetoftheamps.com/green-ma ... KT-88.html

Also, I heard and read the Peter Green story (years ago) before Dave Green parted ways from Matamp, so I believe it to be the truth.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Since the inital post said 'what is the OFFICIAL story', I think the Peter Green one qualifies, as it's certainly the company's official line on it, whether it be a Stalinesque attempt to rewirte history or not! :D
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:56 pm

Sorry I'm late in on this one.

First of all, the Green amps has nothing to do with former builder Dave Green. Matamp made the Green amps before Dave joined them.
They were kind of "tribute amps" to Peter Green, however the specs aren't copied off of the Orange Matamps.

As far as I know, they haven't used any Orange Matamp parts. I find it hard to believe that they would have kept any parts for 20 years, when continuosly building amps over that time. None of the exterior parts are Orange Matamp parts though.
It's very likey they used Orange parts from the Orange OTR amps as you can see the Green amps has the longer chrome bars just like Orange amps. Usually Matamp uses short bars.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Orange is owned by Orange and was never owned by Gibson or Trace Eliot.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Sure, no one has ever "owned" Orange, but Cliff got help from Matamp and Gibson to start the company again (under a new name).
Orange, Gibson and Matamp co-oped for some time, but when Cliff refused to pay Matamp £X (I choose not to reveal the actual amount here) Jeff jumped off that train. Gibson shortly followed. I think Orange took help from Trace Elliot after this.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">MATAMP began building amps for Cliff Cooper of ORANGE in the late 60's. They were MATAMP made ORANGE amps.
Business ties broke in early 70's, Matamp remained MATAMP. ORANGE became ORANGE - VOICE OF THE WORLD<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Cooper Mathias Limited was formed 15th of august 1969. They stopped making the Orange Matamps around 73-74, but formally folded 1975.
Orange became Orange Musical Industries.

Sorry if repeated anyone. I haven't read all the replies.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.