wat is the official story of the green amps

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nate33
Rocker

Post by nate33 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:17 pm

so now that the mystery of greens amps is solved ... what's the deal with black amps?

... and electric amps?

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:36 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Chat Noir</i>
<br />Since the inital post said 'what is the OFFICIAL story', I think the Peter Green one qualifies, as it's certainly the company's official line on it, whether it be a Stalinesque attempt to rewirte history or not! :D
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Correct of course!
I usually read the thread topic more carefully. [:p]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Damn-Deal-Done</i>
<br />Also, I heard and read the Peter Green story (years ago) before Dave Green parted ways from Matamp, so <b>I believe it to be the truth</b>.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Maybe it is - I really don't know. Just strange that Matamp should now be justifying it by saying that it was a tribute brought about by his returning to playing with the Splinter Group, probably 3 years before that happened...

Maybe they just got the last bit mixed up of course. Though to be honest I've heard the Dave Green connection a few times and the Peter Green connection for the first time in this thread. However if DG joined Matamp later than '93 than I was clearly wrong. [:0]

Who cares? Well probably Matamp forumites do, possibly very deeply. But for me it isn't vital stuff. I was just making an observation, brought about largely by an intense aversion to seeing history arbitrarily rewritten! My problem I guess, since there is a lot of it about... ;)
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nate33</i>
<br />so now that the mystery of greens amps is solved ... what's the deal with black amps?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
David is our Matamp expert, so I'll bow to his knowlege on that, and the various other colours they have done too.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Damn-Deal-Done
Orange Expert

Post by Damn-Deal-Done » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:13 pm

Nate33 - Matamp will make you any amp you want. If you want one on the front saying TURD with a lovely orangey brown tollex, they will try make it for you.

Your actually showing two different companies amps in those pictures. Black Matamp are obviously Matamps. like I said you can have then anyway you want.

Electric Amps also make a Black amp. Not to be confused with genuine Matamps.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:42 pm

Electric Amp were a US distributor of Matamp who decided to just start making their own, kisn't that right? I'm pretty sure that's the story.

The fun thing about Matamps is they will make your amp in many colours and different logos, as menitoned above - and of course, they will endlessly customise the actual amp to your specs, too. There have been a few other specific ranges though, including the White amps (which are actually black!) which were apparently commissioned by some music shop in the North of England some years ago.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:50 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nate33</i>
<br />so now that the mystery of greens amps is solved ... what's the deal with black amps?

... and electric amps?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
I don't think there has been a Black amp series from Matamp. Matamps are custom builds and you can have them say pretty much anything, but not Marshall or Orange etc.

<br />
<br />
This Black amp is actually a GTL.

I haven't payed much attention to the whole Electric amp story as I have no real interest in that, but I think they were originally a Matamp dealer in US, but then they stole the design and started their own company. They still builds the models as Matamp did back when they were dealing for them.

Check out:
http://www.motorcitymatamp.com/
..for the current US dealer.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.