fulltone supa trem review

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:27 pm

so i go the supa trem off the bay a week ago and it finally arrived just in time for a gig.

i test drove it for about 30mins before the gig and i was really satisfied with the tone that this box produces.
its got a great smooth vintage feel to it.
comes with a standard rate and mix knob and also provides with a double speed button as well as a hard or soft shape button and is true bypass.

i was worried that it couldn't do the faster helicopter styled tremolos but once you hit the speed and hard switch it was obvious it could cover that territory.

also when playing you perceive a volume drop, most notable with the hard setting, but that is common with tremolos because of the pulsing nature. this problem was easily solved via an internal volume pot, wish it was external though!

there is also another internal trim pot that lets you dial in a harder or softer tremolo that effects the soft setting only which allows for a fine tweak in tonal tuning.

i would recommend this pedal for anyone looking for a new tremolo. Only negative would be that the volume boost and tone adjustment is only available inside the unit, but at least the design provides an option for adjustments.

animapersa
Orange Master

Post by animapersa » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:23 pm

sounds great! i'm looking into a tremolo. It makes everything so pretty :)
Pierce

Mesa Boogie F-50, Gibson Les Paul, 1993 Peavey Preditor w/ texas specials, 1993 cij fender telecaster aerodyne

effects- lexicon mx300, seymour duncan tweakfuzz

jangle
Orange Hero

Re: fulltone supa trem review

Post by jangle » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:45 pm

How convenient...I'm a Orange forum member and a Google search led me here.

I read your review on my iPhone prior to buying one the other day.

You know that combination of disappointment, anger, and wow-am-I-gullible that you get when you buy gear that you expect to be great but turns out to be horrible or at least musically unusable? Whatever that feeling is I had the opposite feeling when turned the Supa Trem on!

I had reach the end of my rope with my old Boss TR-2. It was noisy and when engaged it sounded as if a blanket had been tossed over the amp - the volume drop and tone muffle was that bad. I sold it on and did some research...which led me to your review (again) as well as a very handy video contrasting the Supa Trem, Voodoo Labs and T-Rex. In the video the Supa Trem stood out with its subtle, organic quality which isn't always easy on low-fi video/audio clips.

I picked the Supa Trem up a few days ago and have been using it like mad ever since. Fantastic sound - even when I don't need a full-on trem effect I dial down the speed and mix and keep the pedal engaged as it adds a bit of life to all guitar parts, especially cleans.

I've owned a Fulldrive 2 for several years and have yet to find anything that can knock it off my pedalboard so I shouldn't have been surprised at the quality and usability of the Supa Trem.

My only regret is not getting it sooner!

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:03 am

im either going to have keeley or analogman mod my TR-2 or get a supa trem

i really like my TR 2 but i frequently gas for the supa trem real hard
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:18 am

i've said it a million times, but the ehx pulsar puts to shame any trem i've ever used. stereo outs, square and saw waveforms, rate, depth and shape controls. and you can pick them up for ~$100.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:19 am

chinese fork tie wrote:i've said it a million times, but the ehx pulsar puts to shame any trem i've ever used. stereo outs, square and saw waveforms, rate, depth and shape controls. and you can pick them up for ~$100.

how transparent is it? does it volume drop?
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:22 am

if you set the depth really low, there's a bit of volume drop, but anything above 9 o'clock sounds great. you can hardly tell the buffer is there, and ehx gear is extremely easy to mod to TB if you don't like the buffer.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:24 am

carl martin surf trem

transparent, no volume drop, two knobs - with large chickenheads so you can adjust with your foot...

only downsize is it's a big wierdly shaped pedal... but that's ok
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:31 am

I love my Supa Trem. Picked one up in December. Makes my cleans sound nice and big, and adds depth to slower distorted playing. I enjoy it. I wish I could afford the whole Fulltone line. Really solid pedals.
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:15 pm

AJS19 wrote:I love my Supa Trem. Picked one up in December. Makes my cleans sound nice and big, and adds depth to slower distorted playing. I enjoy it. I wish I could afford the whole Fulltone line. Really solid pedals.
Have you visited the Fulltone site? Mike Fuller has his personal rig detailed. He's the proverbial kid in a candy store but of course he made all the candy himself along with $$$ for vintage amps and guitars.

http://www.fulltone.com/qaframe.html

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:28 pm

you know, it's funny, i've tried a ton of fulltone stuff. and none of their effects have blown me away enough to justify the normally quite inflated price tag. could be why i suggested an ehx effect earlier.

i prefer DBA or crowther audio for my booteek pedals.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:13 pm

chinese fork tie wrote:you know, it's funny, i've tried a ton of fulltone stuff. and none of their effects have blown me away enough to justify the normally quite inflated price tag. could be why i suggested an ehx effect earlier.

the fulltone OCD has consistently sharted all over every other drive i have tried... none of their other pedals have floated by boat though
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:15 pm

Van Cleef wrote:
chinese fork tie wrote:you know, it's funny, i've tried a ton of fulltone stuff. and none of their effects have blown me away enough to justify the normally quite inflated price tag. could be why i suggested an ehx effect earlier.

the fulltone OCD has consistently sharted all over every other drive i have tried... none of their other pedals have floated by boat though
i'd much rather have the crowther hot cake. that thing is, hands down, the best OD i've ever heard.

pedro
Orange Expert

Post by pedro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 am

well if any one is interested, i have a supa trem id like to get rid of. Excellent condition, bought it new. Found that I really, really like the guyatone ultrem so that's the one im keeping.

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:19 am

jangle wrote:
AJS19 wrote:I love my Supa Trem. Picked one up in December. Makes my cleans sound nice and big, and adds depth to slower distorted playing. I enjoy it. I wish I could afford the whole Fulltone line. Really solid pedals.
Have you visited the Fulltone site? Mike Fuller has his personal rig detailed. He's the proverbial kid in a candy store but of course he made all the candy himself along with $$$ for vintage amps and guitars.

http://www.fulltone.com/qaframe.html
Damn. Quite the rig. Mainly I'm after the Fulldrive 2 Mosfet and the Tube Tape Echo.
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List