Can't sleep so I'll rant about something....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ckyratm
Orange Hero

Post by ckyratm » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:17 pm

So I was flipping through an issue of Alternative Press recently and it really hit me: todays modern music sucks! the whole magazine was filled with bands that for the most part all sound virtually the same, with there "scene" haircuts and girl pants. (I hate that term but I don't any better words for it).

It seems to me that there are very few bands out there that are actually good; even bands that I really like really aren't relatively that great as compared to older bands. I get the impression that record labels are more interested in wether your band can make money for them rather than how talented you are musically.

Think about it, even to this day we are still listening too, talking about and being influenced by bands from the "classic rock" days (Hendrix, Zeppelin, you get the idea) even bands from the 90's like Nirvana, STP, the list goes on.
Now think about the bands that are around and popular right now; which of those bands do you think we'll still be talking about 30 to 40 years from now as being just as legendary as Rush, Beatles or Chuck Berry?

I don't know about you but I can't think of any that even come close; but maybe it's just me.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions. Ok, rant over, its like 7:15 AM here and I haven't been able to fall asleep yet, I should probably get on that.
http://www.earthought.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dylan
Orange Master

Post by dylan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:21 pm

ha ha, i dont bother listening to a lot of newer music for the very same reasons.
~Ian~

Gigady, Gigady, Gigady!

TGM
Rocker

Post by TGM » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:26 pm

There's plenty of good new music.

Bands like Led Zep, Beatles, Hendrix through to Maiden, Nirvana, etc have stood the test of time because they are good. Go back to 1969 or whenever and I'm sure you'll find alot of crap on the charts, alot of bands that we don't know about. What we are hearing is the cream of the crop of past music. However, we hear everything from today unfiltered, so of course there is alot of bad stuff there but there are alot of great modern bands too. I'm sure they'll stand the test of time too.
Dirty Greasy Rock'N'Roll

ckyratm
Orange Hero

Post by ckyratm » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:35 pm

Thats a really good point. There are a lot of modern bands that I do like, I don't want to give off the wrong impression. It does still seem to me that the music industry, along with most of society, has shifted to a more money hungry standpoint. But eh, what do I know.
http://www.earthought.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TGM
Rocker

Post by TGM » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:07 pm

^ I dunno, even Hendrix sang about greed and businessmen. With the advent or protools/voice correction and lip synching (sp) you can focus on an "artists" image and alter thier ability, so that's definatly more common.

But it does seem like managers/labels are less likely to take a risk on a band or to give them time to develop. Then again, Airbourne just got plucked out of a pub in the Northern Territory and sent to LA to record 3 albums, so not all hope is lost.
Dirty Greasy Rock'N'Roll

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:26 pm

the strokes
white stripes
kings of leon
the mars volta

these are the modern bands that i personally think will stand the test of time. all have there own sound, are successful, and talented.
my .02, feel free to sh!t all over it

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:26 pm

Music isn't the way it used to be, its a business now. It used to be about passion for the music, not any more.
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

UserName
Orange Hero

Post by UserName » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:27 pm

money ruined the world.

hendrix was singing about it when it was becoming very very obvious that something was very very wrong with society, and the way things were headed. for hendrix, it was more of a, "hey, we can do somthing about this. we can peacefully change this." and todays kids and music scene is more of either A) violent and selfish, or B) crybaby, and give up hope, and suicidle crap.

and i think that was inevitable, dealing with the structure our country's have taken these past 70 years.

although, im just talking about "MOST" music, and it usually tends to be like TGM said, the stuff thats not really being pushed on us.

TGM
Rocker

Post by TGM » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:34 pm

BTW, there is one benefit for us.

You can buy Surfing With the Alien for $10 here. You can get classic albums for $20. A Top40 album usually costs $30. So, for those of us with good taste in music, we get to save a bit of money too. :D (Unless you like importing jazz/funk/fusion records :( )
Dirty Greasy Rock'N'Roll

voycie
Tiny Terror

Post by voycie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:53 pm

I dont know about that. THe intenet has made music much more widely available and accessable. I think if you're prepared to put in some time to find good acts, there's some really good music around at the moment. Sure, there's the hyped stuff from the music 'business'; but there's still lots of acts making good music. I think these are great times for music. seek and thou shall find!!
Tele Deluxe Custom with Tremolo & Orange RV50
Peerless Pirates
http://www.myspace.com/peerlesspirates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:56 pm

I guess you're right. There are still alot of great acts out there I think. Just "mainstream" music isn't what it used to be. It did a complete 180 and turned into garbage if you ask me. John Mayer is my favorite artist in this era of music.
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

scottdavis
Rocker

Post by scottdavis » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:58 pm

yeh,i keep seeing these polls citing oasis, radiohead et al as seminal, influential bands. they even have johnny greenwood listed as a better guitar player than rory gallagher or billy gibbons. go figure..

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:05 pm

Most bands on the radio now sound like the same whiny singer sings for all of them. The always sound higher pitched, and out of breath.8)
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:24 pm

There's plenty of great new music out there, you just won't hear it on the radio.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:25 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by screamingdaisy</i>
<br />There's plenty of great new music out there, you just won't hear it on the radio.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><u></u>+1. You have to dig for it. But, it is there.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;