Orange AD200B ... It takes a while ...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

peter6toy
Orange Expert

Post by peter6toy » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:15 pm

Hello everybody ...

Halfway November 2002 I decided, after looking to the AMPEG, HUGHES..., TRACE-ELLIOT ... and other bass-brands, to order a ORANGE AD200B Bashead. In belgium there's no dealership amoung the "musicstores", and just one official dealer, who actually is a booking-office for bands instead of a music-stuff dealer. (bands like biohazard, .calibre, zornik ...)

So I went to them, back in november, and I ordered my Basshead. They made me a fair price ... so I went for it. A day later they called me back with the info that the "ask" for that head at the ORANGE-Headquarters was hughe, and there was a 2-month waiting list. That was not a problem for me ... So half-januari, ... nothing. I called them, and they took action by contacting ORANGE ..;

ORANGE ... They had troubles with the supply of some stuff used in the Head ... And now, what I hear today, is that the soonest moment for getting my Bashead is "half-march, begin-april" SO, that means I'll be waiting for my brand new, pretty expensive ORANGE AD200B Bashead, already for 6 months then ... And that when London is only 300km away, and I ordered by an official dealer ...

So ... Is this normal ? Do you have to wait for your "new" ORANGE stuff that long ? I'm thinking . .I really WANT that thing on top of my AMPEG-cabinet ... But if it's not here in April ... I consider about taking a look to the other side ...

Or is there a way my ORANGE can be in Belgium sooner ? Or does anyone at ORANGE reads this ? PLEAZE ... take care of my baby :-)

More info, pictures, description, behaviors .. And all the rest once he (or she ..) is really here ... The dollywaggle is really that i already bought a (second hand) AMPEG 410HLF Cabinet, at 4 Ohm, that is standing in my room for already a month now .. And I can't play that thing, the amp I have right now is 8 Ohm ... So every night, before I go to sleep ... It hurts really hard :) :) :)

peter

peter
www.sixtoys.be
peter
AD200B-MKII (#083/090) / OBC810 (199x) / OBC410 (2006) / OD120 (1976) / ORANGE 'TOASTER' Micro-amp

peter6toy
Orange Expert

Post by peter6toy » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:27 pm

And because of "keeping you all informed" ... here the follow-up of the story ...

Last friday, after contacting my local dealer severeal times, i just took up phone and called Damon @ the Orange Headquarters. Me and my broken Englisch ... What a mission ...

The story I heard is about the fact that my (and others' ...) AD200B Bashead is not made yet. They have a HUGE ASK for that bashead, and the Custom Shop can't follow-up the ask. For that reason they will take the Basshead to "bandproduction", and out of the Custom Shop.

BUT, damon promised me that there will be made just 5 (or 10 ?) in the Custom Shop, the next 3-6 weeks. It takes about 3 days to make one .. So ... And he promised me that one of those last ORANGE AD200B Basshead outta the customshop would be mine ... (the ONE for belgium ...)

So ... I hope this ends up well, en maybe in 4-6 weeks, I finally will have my amp. (ordered in November 2002 ...)

I'll keep you guys informed !!

peter
www.sixtoys.be
peter
AD200B-MKII (#083/090) / OBC810 (199x) / OBC410 (2006) / OD120 (1976) / ORANGE 'TOASTER' Micro-amp

peter6toy
Orange Expert

Post by peter6toy » Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:46 pm

And a hope the last, verry uncool post in my little story.

After several calls and mails, I finally recieved the final call of my local dealer, yesterday at 11.00AM, that my ORANGE AD200B Bashead was arrived. I jumped in my car, and an hour later I was there. Finally it would be IT, the basshead would be mine. After 6 long months of waiting ...

But ...

When opening the carton box, the "butterfly-feeling" overcame me, and idd, there he (or she ?)was, ORANGE and supercool. But after the first glimp into the box, we immediatly saw that their was a problem. And a few seconds later it was clear.

In the transport there were TWO 6550's powertubes BROKEN. REALLY. NO pile of poop ... INDEED ... The box and the interior of the amp were full with glass, and when looking in the box, the two tubes in the middle were no longer tubes ....

So you must understand that I was pretty pissed at that time. (as I am now). After some time and contacting DAMION at ORANGE in London, we decided to bring the amp NOT back to ORANGE in Londen. Because of the same risk. So we took it to a "local" backline-firm, who also takes care of the amps for the sepultura and biohazard tour. (was told me) So they are gonna take care of re-tubing and biasing the amp. BUT, the tubes are not in stock right now so ... WAITING AGAIN. (after 6 months, this last week really HURTS)

So, my question after all ... WHERE IS THE MIND OF THE PEOPLE AT THE TRANSPORT-COMPAGNY ??? Are they not responsible for what they carry arround the world ? Don't they have to be carefull ? When in COWS OF LETTERS is written on the box "FRAGILE", "HANDLE WITH CARE" ??? I just don't get it. The only thing they have to do is putting a box on board of a ship, AND THEY SEEM TO dollywaggle IT UP ?

Or is it ORANGE ? Who maybe needs to contact a better and more relayable Transport-compagny ? I SURE want to pay those euro's more, just to get my amp IN ONE PIECE ... THIS is not cool.

I really can't get my mind into something like this. You wait, pay some money, wait and wait ... And then finally the moment has come, and then it seems that the amp is broken. You guys MUST understand that this really suc*s pretty much. I can't blame ORANGE, because they probably shipped the amp in one piece, but just think about HOW HARD people must be trowing with the amp. Cold tubes that get broken ... That must be a real shock. ... I just don't get it.

so far,

peter
www.sixtoys.be

Edited by - peter6toy on 15 Apr 2003 17:51:30
peter

Tibor
Orange Hero

Post by Tibor » Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:27 pm

its not the first time that i hear of oranges with Tubes brocken on transport...2 of 3 Oranges tested by the german Gitarre&Bass came with brocken Tubes....maybe its the box they are send in...my first 2x12 came with a lit of dings and dongs...i send it back...i payed for a product without any damages...

Why is an ORANGE, orange? If it would be Green it would be an apple....

peter6toy
Orange Expert

Post by peter6toy » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:44 pm

Hellow all,

After all, the sad story is not at the end yet. After a checkup it seems that not only the tubes where broken, but that there also were some bad solder joints. The amp clearly has taken a fall, probably during transportation and that fall caused the problems.

The local Belgian firm (KICK Artist Services) wanted to repair the damage, but Orange wants the amp back, en they will service/repair it all the way. They want to check the thing again ...

I'm pretty glad Orange takes responsibility, and that they are gonna fix the amp. It su*ks that I have to wait another week (i hope it's just a week) ... But i'm afraid that in the transport back from the UK to here, the same will happen.

We'll see, i'll keep you guys informed. But i'm getting pretty depressed ...

peter
www.sixtoys.be
peter

Mudd

Post by Mudd » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:40 am

I had to wait about seven months for my ad30 to come in. I finally get the call drive three hours total to the shop and back, get home plug her in and NOTHING. Blown fuse. I called Jason in atlanta and he went out of his way to make it right. I cannot give this company enough praise. I also had a speaker problem with a little vibration coming out of one of them. INSTANLY replaced. These are great people that Make great amps. Trust me it is WELL worth your wait. This amp is the best amp in town by far. Gave it the acid test with several vintage amps floatng aroung and blew them away. Hang on man good things are coming.

Aaron Mudd

Edited by - mudd on 27 Apr 2003 04:41:35
Aaron Mudd

peter6toy
Orange Expert

Post by peter6toy » Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:53 pm

And finally ...

Yesterday I went to pick up my AD200B Basshead, and it was almost like a "trance" or a "dream", but everything was oké ... The tubes were in one piece ... It seems like ORANGE used a more "heavy" packaging thing. The "corners" of the box that hold and protect the amp are now like 5cm of heavy "mouche", instead of 2 cm of soft mouche the last time. It helped, thank god.

The thing just sounds like a dream, this is indeed a beauty. Better then the Ampeg's, Trace-elliots, Laney, ... and all the other stuff I heard. Buying without hearing was a risk, but it payed off verry well. I'll post some pictures soon, but now I'm gonna play. I did not tried with the whole band yet, that's a thing for thursday ...

greetz

peter
- ORANGE AD200 BASS #083MK2 -

www.sixtoys.be

Edited by - peter6toy on 29 Apr 2003 21:57:29

Edited by - peter6toy on 29 Apr 2003 21:57:58
peter

Tibor
Orange Hero

Post by Tibor » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:24 pm

Congratulation......

Why is an ORANGE, orange? If it would be Green it would be an apple....