OT: Music in other languages

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:39 am

So as an Anglophone, I feel kind of limited in access to music. So far the only music I listen to that isn't in English is Serge Gainsbourg, Françoise Hardy, Tokyo Jihen and a smattering of 60s French female singers from a compilation.
Anyone have any good suggestions of worldly music?
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joshlespaul1952

Post by Joshlespaul1952 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:40 am

Rammstein. Kinda weird music, but pretty cool nonetheless.

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:43 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joshlespaul1952</i>
<br />Rammstein. Kinda weird music, but pretty cool nonetheless.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Oh yeah I know Rammstein, just reminds me of the lame people I knew in high school, no offense but not my schtick. They thought they were so "hardcore" for listening to some German band.

Oh yeah, speaking of Germans, I forgot to mention Kraftwerk, I've got them too. Course they usually had English anyway....
http://www.myspace.com/sleuthband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joshlespaul1952

Post by Joshlespaul1952 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:43 am

Ahh, well, I tried...

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:46 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joshlespaul1952</i>
<br />Ahh, well, I tried...
No worries.
I know a bunch of these odd Japanese bands part of some genre called Visual Kei or something and I can't stand it, but my friend always sends me the stuff too. Different sounds for different folks.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:48 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MSP</i>
<br />So as an Anglophone, I feel kind of limited in access to music. So far the only music I listen to that isn't in English is Serge Gainsbourg, Françoise Hardy, Tokyo Jihen and a smattering of 60s French female singers from a compilation.

Would that French comp. be Nouvelle Vague?
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

stevo2112
Orange Master

Post by stevo2112 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:52 am

if you like the 70s prog-ish stuff check out PFM- premiata forneria marconi. their first couple of albums are in italian, then they switched to english (i think). storia di un minuto is one of my favorite albums from that decade.

don't know how easy it is for you to shop at amazon up there in canadia, but you can probably find the album at a normal price somewhere else anyway. here is the page:

http://www.amazon.com/Storia-di-un-Minu ... 78&sr=8-26
Steve

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:58 am

I personally grew up on a lot of foreign punk rock, so if you have any interest in that, let me know. The stuff I listened to is from all over, Japan, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Mexico, France, Italy, Canada, etc. etc.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:33 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bandeapart</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MSP</i>
<br />So as an Anglophone, I feel kind of limited in access to music. So far the only music I listen to that isn't in English is Serge Gainsbourg, Françoise Hardy, Tokyo Jihen and a smattering of 60s French female singers from a compilation.

Would that French comp. be Nouvelle Vague?
I forgot about them actually, but no it's a bunch of yé-yé pop songs.

Some foreign punk would be cool though, I'm into the earlier punk sounds you know like The Clash, The Buzzcocks, not so much later stuff. It's funny for me to refer to Canada as being foreign, because I live there.

guitarmy50
Orange Expert

Post by guitarmy50 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:03 am

<i>Heavier post rock with vocals..</i>

Envy
Boris

<i>Screamo-ish..</i>

Kaospilot

<i>Punk...</i>

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant

<i>Other..</i>.

Poney Poney (Kind of like Justice/the Ed Banger Records roster meets garage punk)

MSP
Orange Master

Post by MSP » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:14 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by guitarmy50</i>
<br /><i>Heavier post rock with vocals..</i>

Envy
Boris

<i>Screamo-ish..</i>

Kaospilot

<i>Punk...</i>

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant

<i>Other..</i>.

Poney Poney (Kind of like Justice/the Ed Banger Records roster meets garage punk)

Thanks man, so far I've checked out Poney Poney and they sound really awesome.:)

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:40 am

sigur ros - icelandic beauty
Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

greyvents
Orange Expert

Post by greyvents » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:13 am

+1 for sigur ros.

MSP, have you heard of Kent? They're pretty poppy so not sure if they'll be your cup of tea.
Mark

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Fender Classic Player 50s Strat
Orange TT, PPC 112
Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:22 am

lots of japanese bands. boris, acid mothers temple, green milk from the planet orange, solar anus, eastern youth, yellow machinegun, boredoms... etc.

also, can.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:10 am

the mars volta have a blend of spanish and english songs, for instance L'Via L'Viaquez, Concertina are a blend of Spanish and English lyrics and Asilos Magdalena is full spanish.

they pretty good, i love them a lot, but a lot of people also loath them.
its a pro rock freakout with punk elements.
ITS CHOICE!