LETS SEE SOME PEDALBOARDS!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Re: LETS SEE SOME PEDALBOARDS!!!

Post by stargazer747 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:33 am

Last edited by stargazer747 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:31 am

It can get pretty costly, not that I make tons of money nor is it that I am getting paid for playing. But when you have a passion for something as all of us here on this forum do for music, its hard to hold to a budget. I do look towards some gear I would love to own but went for a modestly priced model or alternative because I could not justify its price tag. We all have to live within our means and if there is a piece of gear you would like but cannot go for it new, you can looks towards getting it used from eBay, Reverb.com, Guitar Center, etc. A few of my gear were bought used from those sites. In all I have 5x Orange Terror heads, 3x cabs; both the EVH 5150 112 and 212 (Celestion 70th Anniversary), and a Marshall 412 (Celestion Vintage 30), 33x pedals on 4x pedalboards with pricy DiMarzio patch cables and extra 9V power supplies, 6x guitars, and 1x keyboard synth from the 80s! Not to mention thru the years so many pieces of equipment I had and sold off, traded in, or gave away!

I have set up essentially 3 rigs;
Small = Orange Micro Dark Terror or Dark Terror paired with the EVH 5150 III 112 with my 6-shooter pedalboard
Medium = Orange Jim Root Terror or Brent Hinds Terror paired with the EVH 5150 III 212 with my "ALL MXR" board
Large = Orange Rocker 15 Terror paired with the Marshall 412 with my "Ambient meets Vintage" board
They can be mixed and matched at any time, the pleasures of standardization thruout the equipment, yet maintaining their own uniqueness and always keeping things exciting.

I try not to let price be a major factor in what gear I'm looking towards, but there is plenty of gear I would like to buy but I won't cause of the price, if myself and the buddies I jam with become a professional gigging band and we get paid for it, then maybe. All hobbies are expensive; music, motorcycles, hunting, flying, driving muscles cars, gaming computers, tattoos, etc...
Last edited by stargazer747 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:01 am

Finally got a good fuzz!

Greg

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Updated pictures of my boards as they are now...

All 3 are split signal chain with 2 signal paths for Preamp & FX Loop using the 4-cable method, both signal chain have their own LiveWire 9V 1700mA AC Adapter, the connections terminate at a 4-way junction box (Quad Patch Bay), big boards use DiMarzio Patch cables, the smaller board Hosa flats.

My "Ambient meets Vintage" board is a ProTec Stonewood 24" x 12"

My MXR/Dunlop/Way Huge board

My "6-shooter" is a PedalTrain Nano +

And this is a "Micro-board" that the Preamp side of the signal chain of whichever pedalboard I am using passes thru to the front of the amp; a Hotone Skyline Series Tuner which is also a 12dB clean boost (I like the tuner always on and its perfect to boost the signal clean to maintain its tone after it goes thru all those preamp pedals) and a CNZ Sketch Series Noise Gate (excellent low cost pedal that works very well at taming unwanted signal noises, fantastic note detection without loss of sustain)
Last edited by stargazer747 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:32 am, edited 6 times in total.

MarshallGibsons

Post by MarshallGibsons » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:48 am

I'm never happy, so its constantly changing, when develop the patience to tackle it.

Recently I ditched a homemade board I had made, when I decided to upgrade to the TrueTone CS12. I'd tried the Voodoo Labs and was not impressed at all, plus bracket is sold separately and and the 18v connectors... naw. You get all that stuff with the TrueTone... plus whisper quiet power.

Flanger is probably coming off (maybe) later this week. Buying a POG off a friend.
Custom Shop 50
Micro Terror w/ matching cab
PPC412

ReggaeJoe

Post by ReggaeJoe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:33 am

This is a bit dated now, though. I've got my Strymon Riverside OD on the board in place of the MXR OD, and I took the Doubler out and put my Behringer reverb back in.
Gibson guitars / Orange amps / Reggae/ Rock and Roll

Meowatthesun

Post by Meowatthesun » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:28 pm

SexingtonVonHercules

Post by SexingtonVonHercules » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:24 pm

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Post by northernguitarguy » Wed May 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Purple pedal is a BYOC Tremelo, aluminum is a BYOC 'Leeds' Superfuzz clone, the black is a BUGGFX Raincoat and the slim aluminum pedal is a loop pedal used as a channel switcher.

Ticklz

Post by Ticklz » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:59 pm

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:20 pm

This forum needs more bass boards :mrgreen:
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

groundmeat
Tiny Terror

Post by groundmeat » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:27 am

I don't have a pedalboard yet. But I have plenty of crap to put on one. For funsies, I did up a guitar magazine style routing diagram for my setup the other day. It doesn't include ALL my pedals, just the most important ones and how I think I might arrange them once I find a board (or boardsssss - plural) for them all. I'm thinking I'll have a separate smaller one for the delays, reverbs, and whatever is running through the amps loop.

Some of the arrangement might be a little odd. Like the DejaVibe before the RMC4 wah. Yeah, I did that intentionally, because sometimes I like to use wah WITH univibe, and I like the way it sounds with the univibe first. I kinda view univibe as a type of wah. It always sounds best as early as possible in the chain.

The Digitech GSP2101 rack unit is mainly for compression. I don't really use compression to tighten up my sound. I experimented with a EHX Tone Corset once and wasn't happy with the results. With the amp on clean it was fine, but on dirty it amplified the background hum far too much. I only use the compressor module in the Digitech unit to get that poppy slappy clicky kinda over-compressed thing. (Dunno if anyone knows what I'm referring to. I can't find a youtube clip of anything to reference.) And if I run the unit in front of the amp, because it has it's own 2-tube driven preamp section, it covers up the sound the amp gets on it's own too much. Putting it in the loop and running it on a clean tube preamp setting (even when the Orange is on dirty) kinda compliments the amp better and rounds out the sound even more.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:31 pm

Wow... you're gonna need a big board....

groundmeat
Tiny Terror

Post by groundmeat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:57 am

The Chorus Ensemble I'm not too sure will be permanent. It doesn't sound as different from the Mistress flanger as it might need to in order to make it necessary.

The Marshall Vibratrem might go too, but it'll probably get replaced with some other Tremolo pedal. I didn't know it until AFTER I bought it that this pedal (and several other reasonably priced basic Tremolo pedals like the Boss one) have a quirk about them where they boost your signal slightly when turned on. I need a pedal that either doesn't do that, or has a volume control on it where you can level it down. The Voodoo Labs 4-knob tremolo looks the best to me so far. Was also considering the new Fender Tre-Verb tremolo + reverb combo pedal. I figure if anyone will make a good tremolo pedal it'll have to be Fender. That things about 270 bucks though. A little pricey.

Really ALL 3 of the dirt pedals could go off the board. The difference in textures of tones from what the amp gets compared to what those 2 fuzzes do is VAST.

And I also still want to get a volume pedal for doing volume swell effects, maybe combined with delay at times. Also would be wise to get a tuner pedal I suppose.

I have one more pedal that I kinda wish I could include... it's another BIG one though. It's dead at the moment, gotta find someone I trust to fix it. It's an old mid or late 70's Morley PFV phaser. Has a 2 prong AC cord attached like all those big old Morley chrome pedals had. My dad bought it for me for my 16th birthday back in the 90's.

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:18 pm

Tedious backstory: I had/have a very nice board...let's call it Board A. A Pedaltrain 2, migrated to a Pedaltrain Novo 24 almost exclusively due to the fact that the PT2's 'rise' was not high enough to fit a new power supply underneath (CIOKS Ciokolate) when, for reasons still unclear and still annoying, my Voodoo Labs 4x4 died a slow and noisy death. I'm guessing I'm not the first to discover this ex post facto design limitation the hard way. I'm guessing I'm not the first to resent such a trifling incompatibility. I'm guessing I'm not the first to shrug my shoulders and cough up for a new pedalboard merely to get the additional clearance of a fraction of an inch with all other conditions remaining the same.

Board A, meticulously constructed and reconstructed with new power and new mini-patches, failed at the worst moment: onstage, mid-song, into a blazing authentic 1962 Showman. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! The bassist, who happened to own said Showman, looked on with horror. 'UNPLUG THAT @*$&!$%$ AND GO STRAIGHT IN!' he screamed over the din. I obeyed.

Tail firmly between my legs, I packed up and drove home after the gig. I felt sorry for myself only in the sense that I had done extensive work to improve (?) Board A only to have it let me down (spoiler: one of the mini-patches was twisted and a bit loose as I discovered later in troubleshooting). The missus, riding along, was in a sympathetic mood and asked what the problem had been. I responded with more emotion than explanation. She asked the magic question: 'Why don't you get a new board?'

Never say 'new' to a gear hound, even if it's used gear! It's all new to the gear hound!

Cue a lot of giddy print catalog and online shopping. I vowed to disabuse myself of some old habits, notions. Step 1 in creating Board B would be size and weight. Nothing but respect for the 'big boarders' who have a large board, even two of them. I used to have a Pedaltrain Pro myself with its casket-sized hard rolling case. But after a while I couldn't duck the question of 'How many pedals do you really use and how often?' And so I vowed to stay small - or at least compact.

And did I need aircraft aluminum? Plastic, on the other hand, was much lighter. And I was more than willing to trade a metal frame inside a soft case for a plastic frame inside a hard case. It appeared SKB had just the thing. Heaps of room underneath as well. Ironically, I purchased another Cioks power supply but this one was rebranded and sold by Eventide.

Kid-in-a-candy-store time arrived as I bought a stable of new pedals that arrived all at once. No swapping out, no rearranging pedals on an existing board, no wrestling with Dual Lock.

Turbo Tuner? An automatic choice. The only repeat from other board(s).

Strymon Compadre? A new offering from them, perfectly timed. I wanted/needed a compressor (lots of clean parts these days) and I wanted/needed a boost. Excellent unit.

Strymon Sunset? Almost a missed opportunity. I had the Riverside in my shopping basket all along until it finally dawned on me that the Sunset would be a much better match in this instance. Pedals occasionally (often?) offer options and features that, in the end, rarely get used either because once a base tone is dialed in it's satisfying enough or because complexity doesn't necessarily equate to versatility or improvement. As with the Compadre I didn't buy it because it was a 2-in-1 pedal but that aspect of it sealed the deal. I was/am very much a lover of the Klon(e) sound now - Board A has a J Rockett Archer Ikon (the gold one) that is among my all-time faves. I was hesitant to revert back to anything Tube Screamer-like with the mid honk. The Sunset will certainly get that sound but so many others that sound nothing like a TS.

Keeley Seafoam+? I'd recently jettisoned an MXR Analog Chorus - that sky blue unit seen everywhere for years. It just wasn't doing it for me even though my use of chorus had become rare except for period- or band-specific tunes. The Source Audio Gemini intrigued me with its single/dual/quad toggle. I played with it for a few months and was thoroughly put off by its artificial sound. It was like a layer of plastic wrap around the sound rather than part of it. Good bye Gemini. Despite reading about so many players' enthusiasm for Keeley pedals from the iconic (?) compressor to the Keely mods of other pedals to the newer Keeley offerings, I'd never owned one. Happy to report that the Seafoam+ is Goldilocks - not too much, not too little, just right. I guess I use the Dual Chorus toggle setting most often and rarely if ever use the Vibrato sound(s). So organic sounding - I suppose the best description is that if you hear the chorus added to the guitar in isolation you notice the effect but in a full-band setup it merely becomes coloration. Which is the point.

Keeley Verb O Trem? Another newish offering from an OEM. I'd recently spoken with a bloke who owned one of the Magnatone reissue amps. He was passionate about it and called it his desert island amp. He raved about the pitch-shifting vibrato. Duane Eddy fan that I am, all of this intrigued me. I needed a backup reverb pedal in case I used an amp (my own or others') that lacked reverb. I also needed tremolo for the same reason. Another 2-in-1 score. The reverb is a bit generic compared to something like the Topanga (which I have in reserve) but still acceptable.

Source Audio Nemesis Delay? After my misadventures with the Gemini chorus, I hesitated. But I'd read many positive reviews of the Nemesis. I don't do much U2 or other complex delay songs these days but having the option was still appealing. I've used an Eventide TimeFactor on Board A forever. It's big, it's bulky, it's fantastic-sounding, especially the tape emulation. Form factor was a consideration (again) so I pulled the trigger. Truth? I'm about 50/50 on it still. I don't have the time or the inclination to be faffing about with computer apps to do backups, custom patches, etc. I need to be honest and decide if I really need a delay with dual capability and all the emulation categories or just go back to a single delay, possibly/probably a tape emulation like Belle Epoque.

Joyo AC Tone? Here we have a situation akin to a golf bag full of state-of-the-art clubs with state-of-the-art graphite shafts and a state-of-the-art golf ball...alongside an old, beat-up Bullseye putter. What is this $30 pedal - a knockoff of a Tech 21 pedal that's no longer even made (not sure why) doing on this shiny new board alongside all these shiny new stompboxes? Well, there are two reasons. 1) As we know, live gigging requires foresight, contingency planning and the occasional need to switch canoes midstream as the incident above notes. At one point I was hauling two Vox AC30s around like a cut-rate Brian May. But these were the 2005-2008 CC Vox amps, widely praised for their sound but widely derided for their unreliability, design flaws, nightmarish disassembly for service/access to tubes and cheap components. A backup was compulsory. And so I had my Vox quasi-stack behind me - just the one amp powered on and its master volume rarely above 3 even at outdoor venues. After every gig my back ached and my hands bore new scars and scrapes from those damned stiff plastic handles with their molded raised textures that became torture devices when hoisting or toting 70 lbs of amp. Twice. What the hell was I thinking?

2) The 'lifeboat' scenario where tube amps are concerned is almost a forum unto itself. It seems at times that there's more creativity focused on something with a 1-2% chance of being used on the night than on the main rig. Power Engines, Pods, Zoom pedals etc. etc. But one solution was mentioned repeatedly. A cheap Joyo pedal. Many opted for the American Sound with its Fender emulation. But I'm an EL84 man so I chose the AC Tone. Actually, that's not true. I chose the AC Tone AFTER the American Sound. In fact, many stated that they mostly used the Joyo and - *horrors!* - went amp-less ie direct to the board or to a FRFR monitor. I tried this approach at rehearsal one night and damn me if it didn't work a treat. Guitar, pedalboard, mic stand shoulder bag and, er, cooler. One trip from vehicle to band room. I felt as if I'd forgotten something or had cheated. One caveat: putting the Joyo output into a DI box and then XLR into the board is a big improvement in sound. I'm sure there's a technical reason for this but I'm not fussed.

Occasionally I'll kick on the Joyo when using a tube amp for a nice expansion of the proverbial tonal palette especially to boost the top end (natch). But it's mostly there as peace of mind.