Bin this mixer or find it a home?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

beech

Post by beech » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:01 pm

I have an old (mid 70s) Orange MX8 mixer which seems to be part production/part prototype and don't know whether to just throw it or is it likely to be of interest to someone? It worked last time I used it (although pots a bit crackly) and is transistor not valve/tube. Does anybody collect this sort of thing - I can't imagine it actually being useful compared to modern mixers - although I haven't compared the sound. If it may be of interest, I'll clean it up, test and ebay - otherwise...!

Please have look - any comments appreciated.
http://www.debeech.com/orangeMixer/

Also out of interest:
I worked for Cliff Cooper briefly around 1977 and got the mixer then together with a 2 channel Jimmy Bean pre-amp which I sadly don't have anymore. Any pix/brochures of Jimmy Bean amps anywhere?

DonKunto
Rocker

Post by DonKunto » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:34 pm

That mixer is going to be of interest to someone I'm sure. I'd try putting it up on Ebay and seeing what happens, you never know and even getting a small amount for it is better than just throwing it out, right?

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:39 pm

You know you're not going to throw it away...come on beech!

Clever attempt to find a buyer here?.....possibly.;) Not allowed...certainly.;)

BTW......<font color="red"><font size="3">Welcome to the forum.</font id="size3"></font id="red">:D
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

wkturn2008
Orange Expert

Post by wkturn2008 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:57 pm

Welcome to the Orange forum. That looks like a museum piece if Orange had a museum.
Will Turner
http://wildwillyturner.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok here's my gear:

Jackson Dinky
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall half stack
Kustom the Defender
Micro Terror on PPC108
Orange Blaster
much more

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:03 pm

If I were you I'd put it on ebay.

Welcome to the forum! Never heard of Jimmy Bean amps... anything like Mr. Bean?

beech

Post by beech » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:40 pm

No not selling or after a valuation. Just want to know if it is collectible and has any value at all. This does seem the best (or only) place to ask! So thanks all so far.

I haven't used it for years and figure I should rig it/test/clean/fix it up if I'm going to sell it but I'll take you Orangeophiles advice on if it's worth the time/effort. Plus it's too heavy to be worth shipping if it isn't collectible. If it isn't, I'll try and find someone local (or a museum) to give away to before I throw it. As I said: otherwise...
I've just chucked a less 'well bred' mixer.

Shocked and dismayed bclaire to find that Mr Bean made to to USA! But Jimmy Bean gets a mention on this site's history pages:
http://www.orangeamps.com/pedigree.asp?ID=7
They were denim with a blue front panel and square push buttons.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:56 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by beech</i>
<br />No not selling or after a valuation. Just want to know if it is collectible and has any value at all. This does seem the best (or only) place to ask! So thanks all so far.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

OK...Cool. No harm...no foul. My apology's for sounding rude.:D

I think you may make a good penny off it, if it is in good condition. Maybe getting the crackling pots cleaned and having someone check it out before sale would be a good idea.
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:31 pm

It's very cool... guarantee there has to be someone in the UK that would want it... DAVESOUNDS?

defrag
Orange Expert

Post by defrag » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:52 am

That's fuggin' awesome!
It should pull some interest.
Mesa Roadster, Egnater Rebel, Orange Terror, Blackheart Giant • Ric 360MG, Schecter C1, Martin OMC15, Moog Phatty/6 Foogers, Korg microXL/Electribe MX • Alesis, Boss, Mackie, Peterson, Radial ( o )==#
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:58 am

damm, the serial number is 009. that alone makes ir worth something.

man that thing is worth ALOT to the right person.

i love this forum, i learn so much on here, i think there is a Jimmy Bean amp sitting in the corner under a bunch of amps at our practice space, there is this old amp covered in blue denim, it has big silver knobs, its in great shape, no one knows what it really is, damn i cant find any info or photos about Jimmy Bean amps online. now i cant wait to go back and have a another close look, ill get a photo, it is in great shape.

if anyone here has any idea how i can see a pic of one of these Jimmy bean amps, please advise..

Jon

Jon

niangelo
Orange Expert

Post by niangelo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:23 pm

I agree. That serial number makes it cool, covered in old Orange Tolex... very groovy. Looks like something Jack White would put in his studio.
G&L Bluesboy Semi-Hollow > Vox Volume > Boss TU-2 > Fulltone Fatboost (v.1) > Keeley Fuzz Head > Fulltone Fulldrive 2 > Boss DD-5 > EHX Pulsar Trem > EHX Holy Grail > Orange AD30HTC > Avatar 2x12

Amoun
Orange Expert

Post by Amoun » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:45 pm

i wouldn't just lob it but I would be surprised if you would get more than £100 for something like that, no offence but that stuff is generally worth jack. As has been suggested whack it on the bay with a 99p start and see what happens.

Amoun
Orange Expert

Post by Amoun » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:48 pm

as an item of historical interest its priceless

beech

Post by beech » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:00 am

OK you convinced me! Great to know it's of interest. I'll get to work fixing it up when I get time and find it an appreciative home. Will let you know what happens.

Thanks all.

PopnFresh
Orange Master

Post by PopnFresh » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:19 am

That would match that Orange PA really well that was on here a while back!