Rockerverb Head Owners: Tone Improvement Inside!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:33 am

Want better clean tones, improved clarity and a touch more sparkle? Remove those tube shields. Try me on this one, I'm a believer. Read my post on this thread:

Post: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=46

Whole Thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=217527

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:10 am

Cool. Yeah - I took mine off ages ago. The way the Orange heads sit, I don't see any need to worry about them vibrating out (cool thread there too, BTW). I'm pretty sure with gravity working <i>with</i> me - they aren't going anywhere! :D
Greg

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:21 am

I think they are there for a reason! I thought about it, maybe its to keep dust out? I have no clue.
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:45 am

Well call me crazy, I might be losing it, but I hear a welcomed improvement. Not that my RV50 sounded bad or anything to begin with.
It would just be interesting to have some other RV owners try it and report back what they notice, if anything.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:47 am

I was told by ED from THD that they are there to secure the tubes(duh) and also act as shielding from outside noise(florescent lights and such).
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:39 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by neonrust</i>
<br />I was told by ED from THD that they are there to secure the tubes(duh) and also act as shielding from outside noise(florescent lights and such).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

They do, if you need them too. My amp is dead quiet and I don't hear a difference in noise level with them off. I do hear a difference in tone however. I just read a section of Gerald Webers book where he discusses the tonal implications as well. Very interesting...

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:11 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by neonrust</i>
<br />I was told by ED from THD that they are there to secure the tubes(duh) and also act as shielding from outside noise(florescent lights and such).

Hmmm.....

Interesting. Everywhere I play is flooded with flourescents - I've not had any noise problems that I'm aware of - but next practice I'll be turning off the lights to see if there is any difference!
Greg

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:10 pm

I'll give it a try. I can imagine digging it on some amps, not digging it on others and it being neither here nor there on others still. I'm sure it'll be a function of the individual amps and tubes involved.

Anyone who's been using tube amps for a few years has probably experienced some 12AX7s (whatever) that were microphonic and that the shields do reduce the problem. I think there are valid reasons for using them in some situations and valid reason to not use them in others. I find that "rules" like "never (or always) use tube shields" don't tend to make sense across the board.

tristan
Rocker

Post by tristan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:27 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LeonC</i>
<br />Anyone who's been using tube amps for a few years has probably experienced some 12AX7s (whatever) that were microphonic and that the shields do reduce the problem. I think there are valid reasons for using them in some situations and valid reason to not use them in others. I find that "rules" like "never (or always) use tube shields" don't tend to make sense across the board.
Which basically means, like everything in the 'tone world', do what you personally think is right for <b>your</b> tone and <b>your</b> setup. [:p]

I'm interested to try this, however. I'm not convinced that I will hear a difference in tone, but I'm also prepared to be surprised!

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:43 pm

I agree. But hey, it's something else to try and it doesn't cost anything. You may like it, may not. Also depends on how discerning your ears are. I'm pretty stoked about it. A little bit more clarity and chime on the clean channel, what's not to like. And this was with a LP, haven't even tried the strat yet.

Leon, be sure to let us know your thoughts on it whenever you get around to trying it.

screamingdaisy
Orange Master

Post by screamingdaisy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:54 pm

They're useful on the V1 since they act as a shield and it's the most suseptable to noise. On the other tubes they're not really neccissary. I take mine off because the ones Orange issues are made out of tin foil and loose their shape after they've been re-installed a few times.
Les Paul -> Wah -> Amp
Electric Amp 120w MV - Orange 4x12 + Electric 4x12

katarzis
Tiny Terror

Post by katarzis » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:30 pm

Tried it. sorry - no difference.

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:50 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by katarzis</i>
<br />Tried it. sorry - no difference.

That's because you're using those muddy V30's! Bwahahahaha!!

Just kidding man, not everyone will hear a difference.

A lot of folks do though, check out this thread:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=410993

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:01 pm

I've heard differences depending on what amp i am using, the tubes and where the amp is located. I tend to prefer to keep them on though.

ckyratm
Orange Hero

Post by ckyratm » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:12 am

How would i go about removing the shields? Is it fairly easy?
http://www.earthought.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;