advice on adding a P90 to my LP

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:53 pm

in the neck position, i really want this set-up in my Standard.

whats the best solution?

im even considering some minor routing to slightly elongate the PU Slot, i don't think it will just fit in?

Jon

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:24 pm

When I wanted to add a P90 in the neck of my LP last year, I simple got the P94-pickup. It is a P90 in a humbucker housing. Works like a charm. Other manufacturers than Gibson also have P90's in that size, so your options are many.

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:26 pm

p94?

how does it perform compared to a 90? same-thing or?

i really like the pure sound of the P90, nice woody blues tone, the way the note's ring/sustain with that tone, you know that tone!!! DAMN I NEED IT!!

Jon

ClamMan
Orange Expert

Post by ClamMan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:30 pm

The easiest solution is to get a Duncan Phat Cat P90 which comes in a regular HB housing. Not quite the same tonally as a soapbar p90, but close enough.

Kaika
The Quahaugs
My band, my music, my gear
http://www.thequahaugs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Quahaugs/316363379010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/thequahaugs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:32 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ClamMan</i>
<br />The easiest solution is to get a Duncan Phat Cat P90 which comes in a regular HB housing. Not quite the same tonally as a soapbar p90, but close enough.

Kaika
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

yeah, thats the thing, i NEED to get "that sound" that i crave.

Jon

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:39 pm

I'm pretty sure that a soapbar P90 would fit in a humbucker routing- although it might need a trim ring or something.

The cool thing about soapbars is, they screw into the wood behind them for mounting. I wonder if you could leave the humbucker's mounting ring and simply add the P90 in there?

If you want some help doing it, let me know- come on out to the 'borough and we could work on it here!

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:48 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br />I'm pretty sure that a soapbar P90 would fit in a humbucker routing- although it might need a trim ring or something.

The cool thing about soapbars is, they screw into the wood behind them for mounting. I wonder if you could leave the humbucker's mounting ring and simply add the P90 in there?

If you want some help doing it, let me know- come on out to the 'borough and we could work on it here!

wow, cool, thanks BIlly, i think the P90 is a bit wider and a slight bit of wood might have to be routed, im pretty sure. i just did some quick research on the P94 and found this.

from Gibson

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Product Description

"Gibson's famous P-90 style single coil pickup that its in a humbucker cavity, without requiring damaging modifications! The P-94 features the same vintage enamel-coated wire and Alnico 5 magnets that are used on the legendary P-90. The result is a pickup with more sustain and output than a traditional single coil pickup, but with a deep low end, growling mids and sizzling highs. On solid-body guitars you can rip out blazing leads and chunky power chords taking advantage of its ability to easily overdrive your amplifier, yet still able to "clean up" when you back down the volume. On arch-top guitars you'll realize a rich, full tone - perfect for the smoothest jazz riffs. It's a unique pickup packed with tone and harmonics. The P-94R(neck) has reverse polarity so that you get hum-free operation when used together with the P-94T(bridge). Comes with shielded three conductor lead and is fully wax potted to protect against unwanted microphonic feedback" <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

NICE, gold trim to match and only a few wires a solder. i think this would be my best solution?

Jon

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:04 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by GummiTZ</i>
<br />When I wanted to add a P90 in the neck of my LP last year, I simple got the P94-pickup. It is a P90 in a humbucker housing. Works like a charm. Other manufacturers than Gibson also have P90's in that size, so your options are many.

thanks for the tip on the P94, how do you like it, is it (as-advertised) really like the P90 tone-wise?

Jon

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:09 pm

Nothing else that I have found sound exactly like a real P90.I tried the Phat Cats, I didn't like them. Who knows you might.I think you will find that the Phat Cats don't sound much like the P90 that is in your BFG.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

animapersa
Orange Master

Post by animapersa » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:13 pm

that pickup ring seems like your best bet, you get the real deal that way.
* ment the p94. my bad.
Pierce

Mesa Boogie F-50, Gibson Les Paul, 1993 Peavey Preditor w/ texas specials, 1993 cij fender telecaster aerodyne

effects- lexicon mx300, seymour duncan tweakfuzz

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:14 pm

Personally, if I was doing it, I'd go with the P94... it's too easy and looks factory.

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:27 pm

Same here, don't route your LP.
If for whatever reason you want to sell it some day, you won't fetch the same amount for it b/c of the alteration.

I wish I could give you some more advice on which P90s in humbucker housings sound good.
The only thing I can do to helpl out is to give you some more options of P90s in humbucker housings:
Seymour Duncan - Phat Cat
Gibson - 94
Harmonic Design - Z90
Rio Grande - Fat Bastard (that's really the pickup name...)
GFS - Mean 90, Dream 90
Bill Lawrence - L609, L610
Kent Armstrong - P90 Hum Retrofit
Vintage Vibe Guitars - HS90 (Humbucker Sized 90s)

Good luck Jon,
~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

Satanic_Versus
Orange Master

Post by Satanic_Versus » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:34 pm

yeah, Billy, im going to try this P94 thing out, it just seems to good to be true, yeah know. i really hope it is as advertised by Gibson, if so i have a gut feeling this is going to make this Standard the best guitar ever for me.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bluz57</i>
<br />Nothing else that I have found sound exactly like a real P90.I tried the Phat Cats, I didn't like them. Who knows you might.I think you will find that the Phat Cats don't sound much like the P90 that is in your BFG.

yes, im looking to get my Standard to sound as good as my BFG [:0], i love that guitar. anyway, yeah, i don't think ill like the Phat Cats. as im looking for (as Gibson put it) that "deep low end, growling mids and sizzling highs"

there are some amazing points to my Standard as there is in my BFG, both feel and play amazing. i just want to try to consolidate so don't have to carry two guitars. with the BFG i can get sick @ss blues, the damn guitar sounds like Jimmy Page, no sh-t, hits it right square in the head, kinda weird case i don't think Jimmy used P90's? i can't get this from my Standard nearly as tight. i really hope the P94 will improve on this.

Jon

CustomsLou
Orange Master

Post by CustomsLou » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 pm

The GFS Mean 90 is inexpensive, well made, and sounds pretty close to a vintage P-90.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/me90tralp90p.html

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:20 pm

My perspective, you cant get a guitar to do a job it aint built for.

My coil tapped GS (LP style) just didnt sound like a strat or tele on coil taps.

If I were going to do it I would want a proper p90 but then I really think you will lose the value in the standard.

Why not try the p94 and see what you think?

If you try it and like it, great, if not then at least you have not damaged the guitar and you can decide then whether you want to re -route.

I have to say, if it were me, i would be keeping things as they are.

Man I do love my BFG though. I am seriously chuffed with it.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper