Rockerverbs and attenuators...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jack71

Post by Jack71 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:28 am

Well, I had pretty much made up my mind that if I was going to try an Orange amp it was going to be the RV50, ...then I heard a clip of the RV100. [:0] I guess I just have a thing for that EL34 tone. The RV100 just seemed tighter, crunchier, punchier, etc. Of course I realize that it's 100 watts vs. 50 but still, the 6v6s in the RV50 give me pause. I know recordings can be misleading, but I haven't really heard any clips of the 50 with what I would consider a tight overdriven sound.

So, anyway, back to the topic of my thread. I was thinking about getting the RV100 and attenuating as necessary as I play mostly smaller venue gigs. Some amps play nice with attenuators and others don't. Just wondering if any other RV100 owners use an attenuator and how it works for you.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:09 am

The RV100 already has a wonderful built in attenuator - it's called the Master Volume knob. You will get better tones with it than with any attenuator out there, IMO.
Greg

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:13 am

Yeah...You won't need an attenuator.

hamfist
Tiny Terror

Post by hamfist » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 am

The MV on my new RV50 is so good, I am now selling my Hotplate - just don't need it.
Also bear in mind that an RV50 is fine running a pair of EL34's. Just do a search on this forum - the designer has stated that it is just fine to replace the quad of 6V6's with a pair of EL34's. They will bias up just fine, and the output volume will be about the same as the quad of 6V6's as well.

Janglin_Jack
Orange Hero

Post by Janglin_Jack » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:28 am

I agree, I don't think you would need an attenuator with a Rockerverb 50, (never played the 100). The amp just gets great gain sounds at any volume with any amount of gain. Now, a non master volume Marshall, different story. Then I would suggest a PPIMV!!

Jack
"...weak with evil and broken by the world."

Jack71

Post by Jack71 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm sure that the Rockerverbs have more than enough preamp gain to get great tones at lower volumes, but it is a different type and character of gain. I like to get the power tubes working a bit to add tightness and punch to the sound. Makes the amp sound fuller as well. I know what to expect once I get EL34s cooking, but I'm not familiar with 6v6s. I've heard people say they can get a little fuzzy / muddy when pushed.

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jack71</i>
<br />Thanks for the responses guys! I'm sure that the Rockerverbs have more than enough preamp gain to get great tones at lower volumes, but it is a different type and character of gain. I like to get the power tubes working a bit to add tightness and punch to the sound. Makes the amp sound fuller as well. I know what to expect once I get EL34s cooking, but I'm not familiar with 6v6s. I've heard people say they can get a little fuzzy / muddy when pushed.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Maybe the Rockerverb 30 would've worked just fine for you then?

Janglin_Jack
Orange Hero

Post by Janglin_Jack » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:27 pm

I agree, I don't think you would need an attenuator with a Rockerverb 50, (never played the 100). The amp just gets great gain sounds at any volume with any amount of gain. Now, a non master volume Marshall, different story. Then I would suggest a PPIMV!!

Jack
"...weak with evil and broken by the world."

hamfist
Tiny Terror

Post by hamfist » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:32 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jack71</i>
<br />Thanks for the responses guys! I'm sure that the Rockerverbs have more than enough preamp gain to get great tones at lower volumes, but it is a different type and character of gain. I like to get the power tubes working a bit to add tightness and punch to the sound. Makes the amp sound fuller as well. I know what to expect once I get EL34s cooking, but I'm not familiar with 6v6s. I've heard people say they can get a little fuzzy / muddy when pushed.

I'm fairly new to 6V6's myself. But I can tell you that I gigged my new Rockerverb 50 last weekend (MV and gain both at about noon), and it utterly kicked ass !! And I am used to a 50W Plexi !!
I was actually a little shocked when I kicked in my OD at the gig and started palm muting a few phrases. Not a hint of fuzziness or muddiness I can tell you.

thetrans5
Rocker

Post by thetrans5 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:15 pm

<br />Well, I had pretty much made up my mind that if I was going to try an Orange amp it was going to be the RV50, ...then I heard a clip of the RV100. [:0] I guess I just have a thing for that EL34 tone. The RV100 just seemed tighter, crunchier, punchier, etc. Of course I realize that it's 100 watts vs. 50 but still, the 6v6s in the RV50 give me pause. I know recordings can be misleading, but I haven't really heard any clips of the 50 with what I would consider a tight overdriven sound.

So, anyway, back to the topic of my thread. I was thinking about getting the RV100 and attenuating as necessary as I play mostly smaller venue gigs. Some amps play nice with attenuators and others don't. Just wondering if any other RV100 owners use an attenuator and how it works for you.

I use one wth mine and run it in stereo with a combo. I love it for lage venues when you get miced. Soundguy won't tell you to turn it down.

EDIT: I set the MV around 2-3 o'clock and click my hot plate once to the left (-4 i think?). I get amazing tones with the hot plate, the MV is not enough on its own. The amp is too loud to mic properly live without it.

Recording is obviously a different ballgame...

thetrans5
Rocker

Post by thetrans5 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:26 pm

I went from the stock el34's to JJ KT88's and the amp completley changed. I would try some different types of valves and see what you like.

I did not like the RV50 head when I played it. Then I tried th RV100 a bought it on the spot.

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thetrans5</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jack71</i>

I went from the stock el34's to JJ KT88's and the amp completley changed. I would try some different types of valves and see what you like.

I did not like the RV50 head when I played it. Then I tried th RV100 a bought it on the spot.

Hey, your band sounds pretty good dude! Nice tones, harmonies, melodies, etc...:D

thetrans5
Rocker

Post by thetrans5 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:21 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianFantana</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thetrans5</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jack71</i>

Hey, your band sounds pretty good dude! Nice tones, harmonies, melodies, etc...:D

Thx Brohem!!!

21rush12
Orange Expert

Post by 21rush12 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:21 am

No fuzzy/muddy noises from mine in nearly three years, had it serviced twice and only just had the tubes changed for the first time.....try the RV50 out first before making a decision on it, you will be suprised, I really think it is the most versatile amp on the planet in terms of 2 channel amps and it just gets applause from everyone who hears it or plays through it......:)
Johnny