How close is a VOX AC15 or 30 to a TT

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

awilliamson

Post by awilliamson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:10 am

Hi All,

I am currently using a VOX AC30 CC1, great amp. I love EL84 amps.

Recently tried the TT at a local store, and I am now thinking of making the switch. I might hold out for the TT Combo.
I know that the amp will be darker, which is not a bad thing as i play a tele. I like the concept of simple controls (less tweaking).
From current users can you get good breakup and gain tones on the 7w setting, for home use without upsetting the wife (too much!!)

Thanks in advance.
Andrew

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:17 am

[:0]

the two/three amps are not comparable at all.

Welcome to the forum! 8)

The Vox's are very powerful amps and are very clean amps as well. the TT is a lil powerhouse with lots of rock and roll bite.

I dunno...but in my experience the Vox's and TT are so far away from each other it's not really an easy question to answer.

Comparing an AC15 or AC30 to an AD30 would be easier to answer imho
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:19 am

about this close: Vox_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________TT

:)

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:21 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wired</i>
<br />[:0]

the two/three amps are not comparable at all.

Welcome to the forum! 8)

The Vox's are very powerful amps and are very clean amps as well. the TT is a lil powerhouse with lots of rock and roll bite.

I dunno...but in my experience the Vox's and TT are so far away from each other it's not really an easy question to answer.

Comparing an AC15 or AC30 to an AD30 would be easier to answer imho
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You are right on there.....
Vince

awilliamson

Post by awilliamson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:32 am

There must be some similarities,The VOX AC 15 is a 2 EL84 class A cathode biased amp, same as the TT?

How about good breakup and rock tones on 7w at home, is that doable on the TT?

Thanks,

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:35 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by awilliamson</i>
<br />There must be some similarities,The VOX AC 15 is a 2 EL84 class A cathode biased amp, same as the TT?

How about good breakup and rock tones on 7w at home, is that doable on the TT?

Thanks,

Absolutley.. I get some nice cleans on both the 7 and 15 watt setting but at lower gain settings. The Terror does dirt better than any amp i've played through though, and that's its charm...
Vince

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:44 am

just because the power amp is similar in configuration does not mean they are similar amps. The Vox is a much brighter, chimey amp that excells at crystal cleans and smooth on the verge style breakup. The TT is much darker animal with a growl and crunch like a Marshall but with the myseteriousness and kick assery of Kiera Knightly in the last Pirates movie.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

sleejay
Orange Expert

Post by sleejay » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:11 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wired</i>
The TT is much darker animal with a growl and crunch like a Marshall but with the myseteriousness and kick assery of Kiera Knightly in the last Pirates movie. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I like that one:mrgreen:
-Dai

paul watts
Orange Master

Post by paul watts » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:21 am

You mean that the TT is likened to a piranha fish, and has plenty of bite, but can't act, when amongst the big players...KK should stick to modelling...The TT has its own charm and head turnability,it don't need no Hollywood plaudits or comparisons..
Catch our latest recordings at:http://www.myspace.com/terrymackley.

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:41 pm

if you can hear the tt then it'll break up :p, basically theres either the option of a very low gain clean or high gain, its not very clean at all
Liam

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:46 pm

It's an amazing amp, and even more so with a tele. With a tele I can do whatever I want with it. I can run the volume and full, and gain at 3 o'clock and still clean it up really nice.

If you feel uninspired: Max out the volume and add gain to taste.
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

Dr. Lo
Rocker

Post by Dr. Lo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:05 pm

The TT has a lot more drive on tap than an AC30. Consider the following: To get his signature level of creamy saturation, Brian May cranks the volume of his AC30s up to max and hits their front end with a high output treble booster (30db!). With my TT (and a Brian May guitar), I get the same level of saturation with the gain and volume controls up 2/3 and a less powerful treble booster. Increasing the TT's volume or the gain control any more results in too much saturation in my opinion.
Lo

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:56 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dr. Lo</i>
<br />The TT has a lot more drive on tap than an AC30. Consider the following: To get his signature level of creamy saturation, Brian May cranks the volume of his AC30s up to max and hits their front end with a high output treble booster (30db!). With my TT (and a Brian May guitar), I get the same level of saturation with the gain and volume controls up 2/3 and a less powerful treble booster. Increasing the TT's volume or the gain control any more results in too much saturation in my opinion.

How do you like your Red Special? I've been wanting one of those guys forever..
Vince

Dr. Lo
Rocker

Post by Dr. Lo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:39 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Drdos</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dr. Lo</i>
<br />The TT has a lot more drive on tap than an AC30. Consider the following: To get his signature level of creamy saturation, Brian May cranks the volume of his AC30s up to max and hits their front end with a high output treble booster (30db!). With my TT (and a Brian May guitar), I get the same level of saturation with the gain and volume controls up 2/3 and a less powerful treble booster. Increasing the TT's volume or the gain control any more results in too much saturation in my opinion.

How do you like your Red Special? I've been wanting one of those guys forever..

My Red Special is great. I've got the one made by Brian May Guitars, who took over from Burns. The sounds are so unique compared to those made with my Les Paul, Strat, and Tele. It took me some time to get used to the rather wide neck, but I eventually become very comfortable with it. I think some have complained about the ease with which the strings go out of tune when using the trem bar. This would be true of most non-locking trems. I've had mine professionally blocked (with a piece of maple) since I've never liked the feel of floating trems and never do dive-bombs.
Lo

awilliamson

Post by awilliamson » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:38 am

I tried the TT again today, and really like it. I like the simplicity of gain, tone and volume as well as being able to use different cabs.
I still like the VOX, and will probably miss the reverb and trem, but in order to get that amp to sound great it has to be in the 50% range, which is way too loud for most situations. Anyone want to try and talk me out of it?