40th Anniversary Custom Shop Announcement

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

onewaycpr
Orange Master

Post by onewaycpr » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:59 pm

[/quote]
And seriously, it sounds amazing. Like, "cry yourself to sleep" amazing.
[/quote]

HA HA HA! i believe you. i wanna hear one so bad!:D:D

fibersnake
Orange Expert

Post by fibersnake » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:16 pm

Alex,

Once the choosen dealer/s have been allocated the two Brit Beauties, will you post those on here. Just in case one or two of us may actually be willing to fork over the funds for such!

Is July 1st the time frame that these will hit the US market to be purchased? Thanks, will stand-by.

Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:19 pm

even though theres only 40 and they are expensive just think how good the amp is, and its like people said, if someone will pay top dollar then thats what its worth
Liam

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:16 am

Maybe I've not picked up on most of this.....but......if Orange are capable of making an amp that "would make you cry yourself to sleep"....then why have 40 variations of the same amp?

They must be the ONLY company in the world that not only make one amp to cry your self to sleep over but 40 differently wired variations.....all equally as good!

If the amp is THAT good..........and I seriously DO hope it is...then make a production model of it so that any band can buy and use one and promote Orange further than the 40 that will never see a stage. That will never be played in public because once it has been turned on it has lost value......collectors don't want anything used if they can get something that hasn't been used....

Why would Orange want to give the collectors the best amp they have ever produced and the players second best by not re-producing that "magical" circuit for all of us? I don't get it....

Just my 2 cents.....not trying to be awkward....:);)
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thedavide
Orange Expert

Post by thedavide » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianGT</i>
<br />Maybe I've not picked up on most of this.....but......if Orange are capable of making an amp that "would make you cry yourself to sleep"....then why have 40 variations of the same amp?

They must be the ONLY company in the world that not only make one amp to cry your self to sleep over but 40 differently wired variations.....all equally as good!

If the amp is THAT good..........and I seriously DO hope it is...then make a production model of it so that any band can buy and use one and promote Orange further than the 40 that will never see a stage. That will never be played in public because once it has been turned on it has lost value......collectors don't want anything used if they can get something that hasn't been used....

Why would Orange want to give the collectors the best amp they have ever produced and the players second best by not re-producing that "magical" circuit for all of us? I don't get it....

Just my 2 cents.....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Nice one!!

(Where's that damn smiley with the thumbs up?)

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:36 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Nice one!!

(Where's that damn smiley with the thumbs up?)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Added! I wasn't trying to be awkward! If you have discovered a great circuit you take pains to get it out there to everyone...........selling 10,000 production units would far outstrip 40 collectors items because once purchased Orange make no further money even if a collector sells one for $1,000,000 !
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thedavide
Orange Expert

Post by thedavide » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:48 am

Found it!!

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:53 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alexauxier</i>

So nay-say away you negative Nancys, but someone (perhaps John Fogerty, who by the way drooled over "Jennifer" at NAMM) is going to own the rarest Orange amp ever made...and you're not.

I like the Principal of the Amp. It truely would be awesome to have one. Along with a Thunderverb 50, AD50 , and a Retro.....

Then, I would gladly "cry my way in to my bed at night" ...of course I would stack them all in my Living Room , at my wife's shagrin, and throw out all the furniture!
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

yvon
Orange Expert

Post by yvon » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:56 am

At our local store in Montreal today I saw: <i></i><font color="blue"><b><font size="6">Michelle</font id="size6"></b></font id="blue"><i></i>. 8)

It's the only one of it's kind in Canada.

Yes, expensive.

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:27 am

If I understand anything about current Orange amp owners (entirely debatable), I'd say this amp is not intended for most of them. It's priced out of reach. As it's being made in small numbers and each has a woman's name (reminds me of Ken Fisher's Trainwrecks...but he probably wasn't first with this idea either), I guess they're intended for collectors with a good deal of money to spend.

As to whether or not it'll be a "good investment"...hmmm...my guess is...not for a long time, if ever. But my crystal ball isn't exactly known for its accuracy.

Take Komet amps, as an example of a current issue, high-priced, "collectible". The original, Ken Fisher-designed Komet 60 sold for somewhere like 3200 - 3400 bucks new, IIRC. I've seen them on the street for as little as 2200 bucks lately. Some go for more...but they've all lost considerable value. Same for big name Two-Rock amps. They'll sell an artist model for something stratospheric like 7K and it'll pop up on the market 8 or 9 months later for 5K. Same with Mad Professor. I've yet to see a current-production amp that was a "good investment".

But vintage amps? Amps more than 20 years old, let's say...now there are a few that were pretty good investments. Just a few though. I'm thinking of Trainwrecks and Dumbles. They're now going for 30x what they original cost or more (and I think some of the TWs aren't actually 20 yet).

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:32 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LeonC</i>
<br />

As to whether or not it'll be a "good investment"...hmmm...my guess is...not for a long time, if ever. But my crystal ball isn't exactly known for its accuracy.

I agree with this statement.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

J.W.
Rocker

Post by J.W. » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:18 am

Well, I'm indifferent to these anniversary Orange amps, as I'll probably never even <i>hear</i> one, let alone own one. I don't think I deserve one, as they don't sound like amps for a player to gig around and treat like an amp. I mean, as far as tone is concerned, it's an endless endeavor anyway, and although you do get what you pay for in most respects, I don't think an amp being expensive or a collectible is going to make it sound better or make it the perfect amp for every situation. I think it's a cool and original idea, but has a lot of potential for a backfire -- only time will tell. Sounds like gearheads with a serious combination of income and GAS, or professional studios/musicians are going to be the only ones to gain access to these amps, which is the part that I think is truly a shame. The die-hard Orange fans(like us) and musicians will never be able to know. By the way, if all of these amps sound different, I wonder if there's a couple out there that may be considered lemons to some of us Orange people? Interesting thought. . . .

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:59 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Some of you have said that "Cliff just wants to make money quickly" - how negative and short-sighted. If this was your first reaction, then you don't know Cliff and you certainly don't understand his philosophy.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Alex, do <b>you </b>know Mr. Cliff Cooper?
If so, won't you please tell me about his philosophy?
I'm dying to hear everything about it and him, 'cause actually everything about that man I've heard so far has been super interesting.

So I'll ask you this. When Orange started putting stickers on the amps, like the Orange crest on the front panel, what reason do you think Cliff had for making that decision?

As we all know the answer I can add that it saves him exactly 6p per amp. :)
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

alexauxier
Forum Admin

Post by alexauxier » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:28 pm

Orphin,

As a matter of fact I do know a little something about Cliff Cooper. I've met him on a number of occasions and spent quite a bit of time listening to him speak on the topic of Orange. I can honestly say that he, and we as a company, didn't have money as the main focus of the 40th anniversary amps.

Now Cliff is a very impressive business man, mind you. He started a successful company and that does require a very keen, very sharp focus on money-management, but a far greater number of his decisions are based on information he has gathered from his surroundings. Cliff trusts his management team, in particular Damon and Adrian, and when the idea was put forth to create the 40th anniversary amp it was accepted by all as a "given."

I'm actually a little surprised by some of the reactions here on the forum. Don't take that the wrong way, I certainly understand all of the reactions, but I really didn't expect the seemingly 50/50 split in opinion. If nothing else, these amps are just plain cool. I mean, seriously, they're just plain cool. They take as much as 2 workdays for Adrian to build by himself and he only puts a serial number on them once he determines what woman he thinks the tone reminds him of. How is that not awesome?

Can't we all just get on the train and accept that this is a cool idea? Nevermind the fact that I work for Orange, I think these amps are a testament to Orange's status as a cult. And as disappointed as I am to see so many negative reactions, I know our discussion here will only spread the myth and help these amps become even more valuable.
--
Alex Auxier
Orange Amps
Artist Relations Manager

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:09 pm

I think this idea is fantastic.
Sure, there are only 40 and most of us won't ever get to hear one.
I think it is great that the decided to undertake the task that little amp owner's did way back when.
These amps aren't meant for the most of us who want a workhorse amp for the road.

They are for recording studios, personal and big production studios.
They will have a unique and apparently glorious tone; who wouldn't want to record a track with one?!
(Remember the huge studios spend thousands and thousands on microphones, and microphone preamps!)

In fact I am very VERY proud of Orange for not making it $10,000.
The people who have $6000 to spend tend to have $10,000 to spend.
So, IMHO, if they were doing JUST FOR the money, I think they KNEW they could get more out of it.

So I am pretty happy with Orange's venture into these amps.
(Though, I may never get my hands on one, I am not the situation where I SHOULD be the owner of this amp).
~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.