How many of you only play if you get paid

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

CustomsLou
Orange Master

Post by CustomsLou » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:12 am

Around here you're not getting any gigs if you're an old guys band playing original music.
It's just not happening, even if you want to do it for free.
Even if you can bury every young band around, you're going to have to play covers or be a tribute band.
I don't mind playing covers, but there's no way in hell that I'm playing in a tribute band.

A guy came into my friend's guitar store not too long ago and said that he was in a Pantera tribute band.
I though that he was kidding, but he was serious.
Can there possibly be a market for a Pantera tribute band?

Things have really gone downhill in the music business.

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:59 am

We do standards by Johnny Hooker, Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson,Freddie King and Elmore James. They call the blues the devils music. I am beginning to think they are right.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Frank H
Orange Master

Post by Frank H » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:22 am

My sentements exactly Lou. My original band used to fill clubs 20 years ago and we still bury the bands we play with now. We did a couple gigs last year and are looking to do a couple this year. Only problem is that our audience got old and they don't go out to see bands any more. Are Billy and i the only 50 something year olds that still got out to see bands regularly?
The gigs I get for this band I have to beg for and there is no $. very discouraging.
The cover band does very well though. I don't like tribute bands either.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:25 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CustomsLou</i>
<br />

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Preach it brother...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

renton
Rocker

Post by renton » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:25 am

I couldn´t care less about money. For me its all about having a great time and hopefully affecting someone with my music.
Markus

merlhagstrom
Orange Hero

Post by merlhagstrom » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:32 am

I like to leave gigs without owing the club owner for damages to the establishment.
THUNDERVERBER FOR LIFE

Dign'my new TT Still the best bang --EVER

No Pedals

Former Marshall addict..

http://www.myspace.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1239257924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://soundcloud.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:34 am

If I have to play southern rock covers to survive, then I quit.I hate that $hit with a bloody passion.This white boy doesn't do no "Sweet Home.":mrgreen:
Paint it blue 4 soul.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:43 am

Haha, I'm getting depressed reading thing thread. ;)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blackcloud45</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CustomsLou</i>
<br />

Preach it brother...

I think there could possibly be a niche for every tribute.

We have a band around here called Flock of A..holes that does nothing but the true cheese songs of the 80's. I hate almost every song they do- but like a guilty pleasure, you still know all the words and they make it fun so you're singing along like an idiot.

Frank and I are still threatening to do a Cult tribute band for ONE gig....

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:31 pm

I saw a pink floyd tribute band last weekend, - sunny afternoon, a few beers and pretty good floyd band....

PS I like it when bands do a cover you'd never expect... like a rock band doing an ABBA song for example
:D
Mark

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:42 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br />

Do it! Gotta play that 'Lil Devil' riff:D
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scottdavis
Rocker

Post by scottdavis » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:14 pm

anyone do those 'battle of the band' things? we did one recently for phantom fm - winners were the ones who sold most tickets, not the imo tightest, most original band there. we were only asked cos we agreed to bring a drum kit. thing about playing for free is that you tend to get treated like amateurs. still, me an my TT had a good time so fukemall
scott

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:36 pm

This thread has been valuable to me because it helps me see what others have to do to survive in the music world.I can now decide on what direction I want to go with the music.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:38 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tango</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br />

Do it! Gotta play that 'Lil Devil' riff:D

Actually, we do Lil Devil in The Allens already! ha ha ha...

... and we do Rain, Love Removal Machine, and Wild Flower.

We're halfway there!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:42 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by scottdavis</i>
<br />anyone do those 'battle of the band' things? we did one recently for phantom fm - winners were the ones who sold most tickets, not the imo tightest, most original band there. we were only asked cos we agreed to bring a drum kit. thing about playing for free is that you tend to get treated like amateurs. still, me an my TT had a good time so fukemall
scott

When we were in high school, we played several battle of the bands. They were fun- for the most part. My older stepbrother had a theory about battles and his bands ALWAYS won when he had taken part in them. He really knew how to put a set together for maximum impact. It's always stuck with me over the years although now, we'll tweak the set on the fly depending on crowd reactions.

Anyways, back to battle of the bands- post-highschool, we've been all asked at one point or another to be a judge. After doing three or four of them, we settled on one particular criteria first and foremost: "Is the band in tune with each other?" 1-5

You wouldn't believe the out-of-tune bands in these things. Buy a tuner!