RV50 or OR50 for 80's Metal?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jack71

Post by Jack71 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:05 am

Ok, I don't just play 80's metal, but my cover band does do some hard rock and 80's metal in between the classic rock stuff. It seems like the RV50 with the 6v6s wouldn't be able to get a tight enough tone to pull off say Ratt or Whitesnake, etc. I would think the OR50 with the EL34s would be a better fit. How about gain wise? Does the RV50 have enough to pull it off without on OD pedal?

BListic
Orange Master

Post by BListic » Fri May 30, 2008 6:44 am

I have an RV50 and all I know is that if you've got the chops you can get 80's metal out of the RV easily. unfortunately i dont have the chops (maybe someday..) so for right now i just have to settle for the tone, which isnt half bad i guess! :)
Bryan
Southern California
=====================
That's the most powerful trank gun on the market!
=====================

nerd
Orange Expert

Post by nerd » Fri May 30, 2008 6:47 am

the only source of info about the or 50 can be found on rob chappers youtube uploads. He is the only one here who has already tested it, and he really liked it, said it has more gain than the RV. Anyway both have more gain that youll need to play hard rock.
i think that if you dont need the versatility of the Rv, get an OR50. It has a p2p handwired board which make things nice and simple. On the other hand, lots of people are having problems with the RV's reliability.
Check the rob chappers demos.

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Fri May 30, 2008 7:08 am

im sure the orange would do well w/ 80s/90s rock but im sure a marshall jcm800 would do better lol.. not sure what amps those bands used though.

nerd- only the 40 40th anniversary cs or50's are handwired. whereas the production or50's are not... and if your lucky enough to find one of the 4(?) cs models in the usa itll cost you maybe triple the rockerverb. either way all are good amps.
Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

Jack71

Post by Jack71 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:58 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nerd</i>
<br />...On the other hand, lots of people are having problems with the RV's reliability.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yeah, I've noticed that. What's the deal with that? It's one of the things that makes me nervous to pull the trigger on one.

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Fri May 30, 2008 4:01 pm

Rob Said that the OR50 has more gain the RV50. But I know for a fact that the RV50 can pull off 80s metal just fine.
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:50 pm

JCM 800. That's what they were using...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri May 30, 2008 5:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jack71</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nerd</i>
<br />...On the other hand, lots of people are having problems with the RV's reliability.

Yeah, I've noticed that. What's the deal with that? It's one of the things that makes me nervous to pull the trigger on one.

You ever heard of the squeaky wheel getting the grease? Where do people turn when they have a problem with their Orange amp? Here. Do they often come here to start a new thread on how reliable their Orange is? NO. Rarely - yes. As a matter of course? No way.
Greg

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:45 pm

Apparently a lot of punk bands use Orange amps.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Fri May 30, 2008 5:47 pm

Apparently, a lot of kids use them because they look cool.
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

BListic
Orange Master

Post by BListic » Fri May 30, 2008 6:01 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jack71</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nerd</i>

You ever heard of the squeaky wheel getting the grease? Where do people turn when they have a problem with their Orange amp? Here. Do they often come here to start a new thread on how reliable their Orange is? NO. Rarely - yes. As a matter of course? No way.

plus you need to think about how many RVs are sold each year, its gotta be in the 10s of thousands easily..
Bryan
Southern California
=====================
That's the most powerful trank gun on the market!
=====================

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Fri May 30, 2008 7:12 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TJ_Lee</i>
<br />Apparently, a lot of kids use them because they look cool.

So cool I bought two.

Plus, makes all my non-Orange having stage-mates second-hand-cool.

Second-hand-Orange leads to second-hand-cool.
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/