American Idol.....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Thu May 22, 2008 5:02 pm

I think they finally got it right....I like david cook.

eeb
Rocker

Post by eeb » Thu May 22, 2008 6:39 pm

if you like nickelback then maybe.. american idol is weak

GuitarMD
Orange Master

Post by GuitarMD » Thu May 22, 2008 6:42 pm

Some of those idols have great vocals.
You can't deny that.
The fact that they don't write their own music is what is weak.

I like David Cook as well, corky.
~GuitarMD~
Fender MIA Strat with: KTS Titanium saddles, Fralin Blues Specials and Unbucker.
Orange AD30 --> stacked PPC112 (1 V30, 1H30)
Fender Blues Deluxe (modded JJ6V6s) + Extn Cab.

eeb
Rocker

Post by eeb » Thu May 22, 2008 6:45 pm

oh yes some of these people are definately talented.. but it's weak that the really talented people who are original and don't fit into the "mold" of a pop star will never be able to win.. it's way too cookie cutter for me

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu May 22, 2008 6:51 pm

I think I'd like to try out if they ever came to my city. It would be fun at least.

nerd
Orange Expert

Post by nerd » Thu May 22, 2008 7:03 pm

I hate AI, but at least they gave it to the one kid playing a les paul, instead of the same old bimbo.

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Thu May 22, 2008 7:04 pm

the only midly entertaining part of that douche-fest is watching crazy people piss off the judges and have hissy fits after their failed auditions.

Oranges and Lemons
Orange Hero

Post by Oranges and Lemons » Thu May 22, 2008 9:01 pm

They're the World's greatest karaoke singers.

I don't really care about karaoke singers, even the good ones, so I find the show to be insufferable.
Flip

Jaws Theme Swimming
Orange Master

Post by Jaws Theme Swimming » Thu May 22, 2008 10:02 pm

i thought it was interesting the lead guitarist in the show's band had EMG's in a PRS.

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:09 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaws Theme Swimming</i>
<br />i thought it was interesting the lead guitarist in the show's band had EMG's in a PRS.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yeah that guitarist is pretty good, he gets some awesome tones too!

breakfast
Orange Hero

Post by breakfast » Thu May 22, 2008 10:17 pm

We had Canadian Idol hit up my school cause a buddy of mine made the show and they were interested in the rock program we have. So pirate some Canadian TV and watch for us in June ;)

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of the "idols"... I can't watch 25 minutes of pure boring singing and 35 minutes of commercials. I need the entertainment of the band setup and NO &**#ING ADS!!

nerd
Orange Expert

Post by nerd » Thu May 22, 2008 10:20 pm

It would be awesome if they came up with some sort of rock band reality show.

corky newman
Orange Master

Post by corky newman » Thu May 22, 2008 10:22 pm

Pretty Good...I cant believe you said that...

Paul Jackson Jr

Though Paul never got to meet or work with Wes Montgomery, one of his chief guitar influences, he has forged professional relationships with all the others who touched his formative years, including Earl Klugh, George Benson, Ray Parker Jr., Al McKay and Lee Ritenour. Since breaking into the Los Angeles studio scene at age sixteen, he has contributed his multi-faceted guitarisma to the biggest artists of pop,R&B, jazz and rock music: Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson (Thriller, Bad, History), Patti LaBelle, Gladys Knight, Randy Crawford, Ramsey Lewis, Dave Koz, David Benoit, Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross, Bobby Brown, Steely Dan, Chicago, The Temptations, Anita Baker, Lionel Richie, Barbra Streisand, Elton John, Al Jarreau, and George Duke, Johnny Mathis, Kenny Rogers Barry White and many others.
This guy rules...he plays so many styles and can rock his ass off then turn around and do bebop like a madman..the dude is KILLER..and he has a great job..playing guitar for MILLIONS, and MILLIONS of viewers....

baimun
Tiny Terror

Post by baimun » Thu May 22, 2008 10:35 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaws Theme Swimming</i>
<br />i thought it was interesting the lead guitarist in the show's band had EMG's in a PRS.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That was a PRS 513... those are stock PRS pickups, not EMG's.

The setup is all passive, but uses 5 single coil pickups that can be combined in 13 different ways. The top switch is a 5 way like on a strat... where the bottom switch changes the outside two pair between single coil mode/ moderate humbucking / full humbucking. It really is one of the most versatile guitars PRS has ever made.

Paul Jackson Jr. is a monster player. People want to hate on American Idol because of the cheese factor of previous years, but some of the musicians who make it through the show are pretty talented, and this years contestants being able to play instruments and rearrange the songs keeps broadening the horizons of not just the show, but the ignorant population who now are starting to understand a bit more about what it takes to perform or arrange a song.

It will be interesting to see how the show grows from here... maybe they will be required to write some next year.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Thu May 22, 2008 11:32 pm

Karaoke idol. Ew.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele