Z. Vex Fuzz Factory >>>

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

stormypenny
Rocker

Post by stormypenny » Mon May 19, 2008 2:32 am

Who has one? Opinions?

I am thinking of getting the $300.00 hand painted version. The less expensive ones are made in Tiawan.

Thanks,
Steven

BListic
Orange Master

Post by BListic » Mon May 19, 2008 2:48 am

I have the vexter one made in the US i believe. Its a good pedal, super versatile giving you options to dial in all sorts of fuzz tones from vintage fuzzface sounds to off the wall crackle velcro.
Bryan
Southern California
=====================
That's the most powerful trank gun on the market!
=====================

stormypenny
Rocker

Post by stormypenny » Mon May 19, 2008 3:25 am

Sorry, it was made in Tiawan.

SP

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Mon May 19, 2008 3:52 am

taiwan. and i'm pretty sure there are US made vexter series ones.

don't own one, but it's the best fuzz i've messed with for the cost. awesome self oscillation.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

BListic
Orange Master

Post by BListic » Mon May 19, 2008 4:03 am

there ARE U.S made vexter series pedals from Zvex.
Bryan
Southern California
=====================
=====================

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Mon May 19, 2008 4:24 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BListic</i>
<br />there ARE U.S made vexter series pedals from Zvex.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Yeah, those are the old ones. I had a US Fuzz Factory Vexter.
Worst sounding pedal I've ever had. Extremely easy to sell though, and so was the King of tone..
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

BListic
Orange Master

Post by BListic » Mon May 19, 2008 4:45 am

lol. well i guess mine isn't the US made one if those are only the old ones. I found the pedal hard to intuitively tune but after looking at a bunch of settings charts for it, it seems like its starting to come around.
Bryan
Southern California
=====================
=====================

starfly59
Rocker

Post by starfly59 » Mon May 19, 2008 7:55 am

Love mine, but you gotta take the time to dial it in right. It's a killer pedal with some very original tones inside.
Amp: Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 combo
Guitars: Gibson LP, Fender Tele, Fender Strat.
Lots of pedals: Zvex Box of Rock, Fuzz Factory, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Keeley Compressor, EHX Micro POG, Boss DD20, Line 6 DL4, etc, etc.

leoninanegg
Tiny Terror

Post by leoninanegg » Mon May 19, 2008 8:12 pm

I have to have one, Steve Malkmus and The Flaming Lips have used them so I consider I must try one at some stage. Would be great to be able to mess with the self oscillation whilst we are all making noise at the end of our set...
Live Gear : Orange Rockerverb 50 Head and PPC212.
Fender USA Sunburst Standard Strat (Bought new in 98).
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Wah, Electro Harmonix Germanium Overdrive, Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion, Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi, Boss BF-2 Flanger.

Other bits : Super Twenty (Jag style 60's cheap copy), Eastwood Sidejack, Seagull Acoustic c/w Takamine Tri-ax. Snarling Dogs Mold Spore Wah/Ring Mod (Sadly broken), Marshall ED-1 Edward The Compressor, Boss OD-3 Overdrive, Electro Harmonix Q-tron+, Boss DD-20 Digital Delay.

BListic
Orange Master

Post by BListic » Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by starfly59</i>
<br />Love mine, but you gotta take the time to dial it in right. It's a killer pedal with some very original tones inside.

sounds like you had the same experience as I did. Johnathan (guitarMD) was nice enough to send me a 2 page chart with different settings for the pedal. If you like ill send them to your email.

When i first got the pedal, it was so hard to dial in on my own i just gave up on it for a while, didnt even touch it. Recently I have started using it again with the charts and man what a difference, im getting some really cool sounds!
Bryan
Southern California
=====================
=====================

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Mon May 19, 2008 10:50 pm

malkmus is god.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

ClamMan
Orange Expert

Post by ClamMan » Mon May 19, 2008 11:10 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BListic</i>

<br />
Worst sounding pedal I've ever had.

Totally agree here. I've owned hundreds of pedals in my life and the Fuzz Factory was the biggest let down and worse sounding pedal I've ever owned for my style of music. I LOVE Zvex products in general, but this one was a fart. I bought the hand painted one also and had no trouble off loading it. The main problem with the Fuzz Factory is that it is next to impossible to repeat or recreate any sound that you might like. The feedback is also non-music in my opinion. For the money, it ain't worth it. I guess if you are a totally experimental group who wants to create random sounds without knowing what will arise from the pedal, then maybe it is for you. For me, I'll just fart in the microphone and get the same results for cheaper.
The Quahaugs
My band, my music, my gear
http://www.thequahaugs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Quahaugs/316363379010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/thequahaugs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joshlespaul1952

Post by Joshlespaul1952 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:20 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ClamMan</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Orphin</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BListic</i>

<br />
Worst sounding pedal I've ever had.

For me, I'll just fart in the microphone and get the same results for cheaper.
Sounds like a plan to me.

starfly59
Rocker

Post by starfly59 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:22 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

Totally agree here. I've owned hundreds of pedals in my life and the Fuzz Factory was the biggest let down and worse sounding pedal I've ever owned for my style of music. I LOVE Zvex products in general, but this one was a fart. I bought the hand painted one also and had no trouble off loading it. The main problem with the Fuzz Factory is that it is next to impossible to repeat or recreate any sound that you might like. The feedback is also non-music in my opinion. For the money, it ain't worth it. I guess if you are a totally experimental group who wants to create random sounds without knowing what will arise from the pedal, then maybe it is for you. For me, I'll just fart in the microphone and get the same results for cheaper.

It's a pedal that doesn't work with some setups for sure - I tried one through my old AC30 and thought it was pretty useless as well. Never got to try it through my Orange Rocker 30. Although I've never tried it, I'm told it's not great through an Orange AD30 either. But through a Marshall, my Divided by 13, or a friend's vintage Fender Bassman, it really shines. I actually do have a certain setting that sounds great every time I use it. A lot of guys run it through the Zvex Box of Rock with great results too. That's how I like it if I want a warmer, rounder fuzz sound.

That 2 page chart someone was mentioning is a great way to explore the tones on this pedal.
Amp: Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 combo
Guitars: Gibson LP, Fender Tele, Fender Strat.
Lots of pedals: Zvex Box of Rock, Fuzz Factory, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Keeley Compressor, EHX Micro POG, Boss DD20, Line 6 DL4, etc, etc.

Rocksully
Orange Expert

Post by Rocksully » Tue May 20, 2008 1:39 am

I use a Zvex Fuzz Probe, and I love it. I can totally dial in the Billy Corgan Tortured Guitar sound with it. I suggest running a Zvex Fuzz into a Compressor Pedal though, as that makes it work better, as a little movment of a dial can totally change your sound. I love it though, fantastic pedal.