no more pedals

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Sat May 10, 2008 5:27 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br />Image

Guitar>>tuner>>volume pedal>>amp

Though, lately i've been using a treble booster (always on, sitting on the top of the amp).

-Nick
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yep, same for me sans the volume pedal.

Guitar>>>tuner>>>rangemaster clone>>>amp

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Sat May 10, 2008 5:53 pm

I use pedals in the same way a women uses makeup: A little bit used in just the right places can really enhance a gals looks, too much and it makes things look cheap and gaudy. My present set up is: Guitar - Keeley compressor - Fulltone Wah - Cream Tone - MXR Carbon Copy - RV50 Head - Orange PC212.

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

jizzle123
Orange Hero

Post by jizzle123 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:23 pm

just throwin it out there but joshlespaul that starwars picture is priceless

"I think our God isn't God if he fits inside our heads"

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sat May 10, 2008 6:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by screamingdaisy</i>
<br />I don't typically use pedals....

But then I think, "I'd really like a Phase 90 right about now."

And then I think, "A wah would really make this part cut."

And then I think, "An OD would really make this solo scream."

And then I think, "I hate all these pedals," and toss them in the corner.

And then I think, "I'd really like a Phase 90 right about now".

Pedal love/hate is a weekly event for me.

That said, I almost never gig pedals live. They never sound as good at live volumes as they do in your practice room, and the difference in tone can throw off my groove/mood.

+1

I do that quite often... more often than not.

I like FX tho. More actual modifiers than overdrives and what not. My current fav is the Seek Wah mixed with my AD999.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Joshlespaul1952

Post by Joshlespaul1952 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:45 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jizzle123</i>
<br />just throwin it out there but joshlespaul that starwars picture is priceless
Hahaha, thanks man, I love that photo.

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Sat May 10, 2008 7:11 pm

I guess my ideal rig would look more like Edge's than lots of others: I'd have a slew of amps--one for each flavor of clean and dirty and everything in-between.

But that's totally impractical; so the compromise that I've found to be useful (meaning, I can actually use it at the places I play) is a great clean amp that takes pedals really well and a bunch of pedals. And truth is, I'm really, really happy with my sound. I love pedals because they make it possible for me to sound like I have 4 or 5 different amps.

TJ_Lee
Orange Master

Post by TJ_Lee » Sat May 10, 2008 7:11 pm

There is only a couple of things I want to get for my pedal board. A DL-4, a Max CC. And an rack equalizer with 2 separate foot switchable channels, does it exist?
Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI > Korg PB > Keeley BD-2 > Zendrive > Boss DD-3 > Boss DD-20 > Dr. Z Maz 18 > Two-Rock 212

Hit List: Two-Rock Emerald Pro/Bruno Cowtipper Pro II 35

Joey22

Post by Joey22 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:52 pm

I'm not a pedal user here's my rig: guitar >>> amp... Haha

Mondayeyes
Orange Expert

Post by Mondayeyes » Sat May 10, 2008 9:46 pm

Pedals are not a core part of my sound as I do not have any that I leave on for extended periods of time for tone but I do use a lead boost for the occasional solo.

Also, a volume pedal is a good friend of mine as I'm not a channel switcher and prefer to clean up the sound with this.

A tuner is a must
-andy

Bad Cat Hot Cat 2x12
US Telecaster
72' Telecaster Deluxe
Epiphone Sheraton II
Various Pedals used in moderation
----------------

Band
www.myspace.com/hushhushcommotion

Peau d Orange
Rocker

Post by Peau d Orange » Sat May 10, 2008 11:32 pm

Man, this topic really speaks to me. I consider myself a tone purest but I love certain effects. My approach has been to cut back my effects to the essential and try to get good quality, true bypass pedals. Current set-up:

Tele > Tuner > Vox Clyde Wah > Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (boost only) > DL-4 > RV50 Head/PPC212

I'm getting a Vox AC15 H1TV and want to run a 2 amp set-up. I'm tying to figure out how to do this and still use the RV50 effects loop. In other words, where in the chain do I split the signal? I usually use the DL-4 in the loop but I can't figure out how to do this and use it with both amps. Any suggestions? :?:

shindigmachine
Orange Master

Post by shindigmachine » Sun May 11, 2008 12:36 am

actually, i just bought three! i had cut back on my setup a while back, i took out three Boss pedals, with the intention of replacing them with better pedals for the job;

AKAI Headrush H2 (replacing RV-3)
Guyatone Vintage Tremelo (replacing PH-2)
EHX Micro POG (replacing OC-2)

:D
Hi. I'm Brad. i play a Gibson Melody Maker RI through a...

Orange RV100H &
Mesa Lone Star 410 w/2 Celestion G10s and 2 Weber Thames 10s

pedals; Barber Tone Press, Robert Keeley BD-2, EHX Micro POG, SIB Mr. Vibromatic, Line6 Echo Park, AKAI Headrush E2, and a custom loopmaster pedal. all on a furman SPB-8.

this band is done but a new one is in the works;
myspace.com/morninggrey734

robchappers
Orange Expert

Post by robchappers » Sun May 11, 2008 12:52 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br />Image

Guitar>>tuner>>volume pedal>>amp

Though, lately i've been using a treble booster (always on, sitting on the top of the amp).

-Nick

Exactly the same with me mate! SC245 - Boss TU2 - MXR MC401 Boost - Rockerverb50.
Rob Chappers
Monkey Lord
uk.youtube.com/RobChappers
http://www.monkeylord.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.chapmanguitars.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

renton
Rocker

Post by renton » Sun May 11, 2008 1:21 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by neonrust</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Satanic_Versus</i>
<br />sometimes, every few years or so i go through the phase where i decide that im done with pedals and i just go straight..

im still on my pedals. its been a while thou.

anyone els do this?

I go less, but never none.:D

Hey Andy, just wondering how much you like the Flexi? Been looking for a nice deal to get one for myself so I would really like to hear your opinion on the amp.
Nice pedal setup BTW!!!
Markus

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun May 11, 2008 3:31 am

Interesting topic.

For me - it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm at home playing - I actually just prefer to play straight into the amp with a little delay in the loop (thank you Ade, for the awesome loop on my RV50 - you rule!!!). For the band, I am the rhythm guitarist and, as the band leader admitted last week - he never writes any parts that are very dry nor that are consistent throughout a song. That means I need more than just a cable and tuner between me and my amp! But not too much. My setup is:

Guitar-->wah-->tuner-->SD Pickup Booster-->Whammy-->SHO-->Woofer-->RV50

LOOP: Cosmic Chorus-->Mr. Echo-->SDD

And someday a Deluxe Moon Phaser, Tremolessence and Frazz Dazzler will be joining them. I know - lots of pedals - but this band really requires that from me - and I like it! :D I think it's interesting that most people like to mess with pedals at home and go straight in with the band. That would probably be me too if I weren't in the situation I am with my band. I just like having a full tool box and opportunities to use them all , I guess. :oops:
Greg

dmackenzie

Post by dmackenzie » Sun May 11, 2008 3:36 am

Does anybody have thoughts on Visual Sound products and the EH Holy grail? I'm thinking about a Tiny Terror combo and want a small chain of pedals to compliment it...
Parker Fly Classic
Parker Nitefly-M
Low wattage amp searching