In need of some serious Orange expertise :-)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

farwood

Post by farwood » Mon May 05, 2008 8:53 pm

and I assume I'm in the right place ;-)
ok, here's the deal; I am a professional musician looking for a good rock amp; definetly not into a metal amp (because I have a 6505 already).
I am looking for both a head and a cabinet.
The head must be able to do very very clean sounds and very rocking overdriven sounds.

I have recently been recording with a friend's AD30HTC + PPC2x12 and am very very stoked on that tone.
are these other amps/cabinets worth considering or should I just get the AD30HTC + PPC2x12?
I'm looking for tone that sounds like the AD30HTC.

just a few questions:

what advantages and disadvantages does a 4x12 have over a 2x12?
how are the avatar cabinets compared to the orange cabinets?
What is a high power projection cabinet?
What is the difference between an open back cabinet and a non open back cabinet?
What other amp/cabinets should I consider?:

here are the amps I am looking at:
I like the attenuators in some of the amps.. definetly need 2 channels tho.
1. Orange tiny terror
2. Orange Rocker 30H
3. Orange thunderverb 50H
4. Orange rockerverb 50H
5. Orange AD30HTC
6. Orange RK100H rockerverb 100 Head
7. Orange thunderverb 200H

cabinets I am looking at:
I think a 2x12 would do fine since we use palmers live.
1. Orange PPC412
2. Orange PPC412 angled
3. Orange PPC112
4. Orange PPC212
5. ORANGE PPC412HP-8 High power projection
6. ORANGE PPC212-COB open back
7. Avatar 2x12
8. Avatar 4x12

So, what do you think?
Thank you very much for your time, and your help is greatly appreciated!

Farwood.

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Mon May 05, 2008 9:08 pm

rule out the TT it's single channel. Rocker 30-50 either would work. It all depends on what you want to spend..
Vince

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Mon May 05, 2008 9:14 pm

if you really like the AD30's tone then i would go with that. the rockerverb 50 is also defintaly worth looking into...

4x12 vs. 2x12 is basicaly more projection and bass but with more weight and $$$. avatars are really good but orange cabs are about the best out there. the high power cabs have higher wattage speakers in them (no idea what ones though, the regular ones have v30's @ 60w each)

open back vs. closed back is all preferance again. i like open more "airy" and more despursion but less punchy. you can go wrong really with any of those you listed. as far as other stuff to look at just play what ever you can get your hands on and see what sounds good to you.

o yeah btw no price talk on the forum, so if you could just edit your post it would keep the mod happy and everything rollin' smoothly. hopw that helps -Plum
valve.(((J0HN)))Resident village idiot
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Mon May 05, 2008 9:23 pm

I would go with the Orange 2x12, and also edit the prices out of your post.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

farwood

Post by farwood » Mon May 05, 2008 9:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by professor plum</i>
<br />if you really like the AD30's tone then i would go with that. the rockerverb 50 is also defintaly worth looking into...

4x12 vs. 2x12 is basicaly more projection and bass but with more weight and $$$. avatars are really good but orange cabs are about the best out there. the high power cabs have higher wattage speakers in them (no idea what ones though, the regular ones have v30's @ 60w each)

open back vs. closed back is all preferance again. i like open more "airy" and more despursion but less punchy. you can go wrong really with any of those you listed. as far as other stuff to look at just play what ever you can get your hands on and see what sounds good to you.

o yeah btw no price talk on the forum, so if you could just edit your post it would keep the mod happy and everything rollin' smoothly. hopw that helps -Plum
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

thanks, sorry about the prices, I didn't know that wasn't allowed :)
so, what difference is there between the rocker 30, rockerverb 50/100 and the AD30?

thanks! :D

AMO.Nick
Rocker

Post by AMO.Nick » Mon May 05, 2008 9:53 pm

AD30 has EL84s
Rocker 30 & and Rockerverb 100 have EL34s
Rockerverb 50 has 6L6s

The Rockers have more gain available than the AD series. They also have dedicated clean channels, where as the AD30 has basically two different dirty channels that you can clean up. I think you'd be pretty happy with any of the Rocker series with an Orange 2x12.
Gear::

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Strat
Fender MusicMaster Bass
Rocker 30 Combo
PPC212

My Electronic Music::

www.algebraicsatellite.com/home.html

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon May 05, 2008 10:01 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AMO.Nick</i>
<br />AD30 has EL84s
Rocker 30 & and Rockerverb 100 have EL34s
<b>Rockerverb 50 has 6L6s</b>

The Rockers have more gain available than the AD series. They also have dedicated clean channels, where as the AD30 has basically two different dirty channels that you can clean up. I think you'd be pretty happy with any of the Rocker series with an Orange 2x12.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's 6<font size="3"><b>V</b></font id="size3">6s - a huge difference, IMO.
Greg

farwood

Post by farwood » Tue May 06, 2008 6:59 am

ah ok, thanks!
I've heard that EL34's give that classic rock sound;
how do they compare with the el84's?.. the 6v6 is more like a mesa rectifier sound, am I right?
still doubting between the ad30 and the rocker 30/50/100..
I don't need 100 watt do I? that's very loud.

thanks guys, appreciated!

sleejay
Orange Expert

Post by sleejay » Tue May 06, 2008 8:00 am

Let me simplify things for you-

If you like old school rock tones, go with the AD30.
If you like modern & higher gain tones, go with the Rocker series.

If you like EL84s(more mid-ish, imo), get the RV100.
If you like 6V6s(more low-end-ish, imo), get the RV50.
If you don't have enough cash, get the R30. (No clean channle EQ/reverb/loop)

Thunderverbs I haven't played so I don't know, and not many people on here have it either, so just look at the specs.
We hear it has less gain than the Rocker series.

As for cabs, just get the 212, because the 412 isn't THAT different, tonally, for the $$ and the back pains it'll give you.
Open back for airy, closed back for punch.

That's as simple as it gets, from my playing experiences, and from what I've read on here.
-Dai

farwood

Post by farwood » Tue May 06, 2008 11:41 am

Hmm.. I did like the el84's of the AD30 a lot, so I think I'll pick up that one.
I'm still doubting over the 2x12 closed or open back cabinet.. I want my sound to be punchy and airy.
I want it to cut through but not be to much in the frequency range of other instruments.
I play a lot of leads (definetly not solo's, more like high up the fret board riffs) and some rhythm as well.

kungfu
Orange Expert

Post by kungfu » Tue May 06, 2008 11:59 am

I don't know what you mean by "very very clean" sound, but Orange amps don't have crystal clean sounds like Fender, but they all have a characteristic clean sound which I love..

If you buy a RV100 you'll have lots of headroom of course, but Rocker30 and AD30's clean channel gets crunchy when you turn the volume up.

I would advice you to give a try, they are really different from each other:)

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue May 06, 2008 12:58 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The head must be able to do very very clean sounds and very rocking overdriven sounds.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Just as kungfu says:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Orange amps don't have crystal clean sounds like Fender, but they all have a characteristic clean sound which I love.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
They certainly do, I agree. But many times they're just too dark. They don't cut through and automatically places themselves in the back in a mix.

You should check out Matmap as well, as you can achieve as crystal clear cleans as a Fender, and an overdrive to die for.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

farwood

Post by farwood » Tue May 06, 2008 1:27 pm

ah, well; my clean sounds doesn't have to be extremely beautiful, i just want it to be clean and not crunched :)
any sound samples of that matamp?

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Tue May 06, 2008 3:06 pm

anti-spam bump

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Tue May 06, 2008 7:42 pm

If you need reverb, then the Rockerverbs are a good choice. Their reverb is tube-driven and lush.

It is a matter of having different flavors to choose from. You probably won't go wrong with any of your choices, but you need to taste them to find out which one is yours.

If you want both cabinet sounds, get one of each a PPC 212 for closed back and an Avatar 2121 for an open back.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;