Taming a Strat

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mpisarcik
Orange Master

Post by mpisarcik » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:35 am

So I have asked this before, but I want to ask again.

If I wanted to make my single coil strat (texas specials) as quiet as possible, would shielding it, putting in new pots, and re-wiring it with LavaMan (pedal board cable) be smart?

What brand of pots would you recommend? If not LavaMan, what wire should I use? Thanks-

:D

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:56 am

Hi Matt,hope you are doing well. I shield some of my noisy single coils with the stewmac shielding paint. I also use the copper foil.
Paint it blue 4 soul.

mpisarcik
Orange Master

Post by mpisarcik » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:04 am

Hey Bluz- doing great.

How much of an audible difference does this make? Any recommendations for pots? In regards to the wire, do you think its okay to use guitar pedal cable inside the guitar?

Thanks-

xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx
Orange Master

Post by xTRUTHOFMYYOUTHx » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:04 am

buck the hum!

-tim
fender double fat strat through:
TT-->BYOc tri-boost-->avatar 1x12 w/ greenback.
fender deluxe 'verb.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:07 am

Shielded wire is overkill, but hey, you can always do it. Shielding paint could do the trick with a few coats, as well as I really like the shielding adhesive copper stuff, I think that stuff works really well. New pots, meh, I don't think pots are going to be the problem if your strat is noisy, but again, it couldn't hurt, but I'd leave that for last, well, right before the fancy wire.

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:48 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mpisarcik</i>
<br />So I have asked this before, but I want to ask again.

If I wanted to make my single coil strat (texas specials) as quiet as possible, would shielding it, putting in new pots, and re-wiring it with LavaMan (pedal board cable) be smart?

What brand of pots would you recommend? If not LavaMan, what wire should I use? Thanks-

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

A strat has it's unique tone because of its construction. Proper shielding will produce an audible improvement (copper foil and/or electro paint). Sheilded cable less so but if you're in there it can't hurt. It will never match the performance of a humbucker guitar though so learn to live with some noise. Amplifier placement will have a large effect on the noise as well as dimmers, flourecent lights and coolers etc.

One PU manufacturer (at least) makes a stacked humbucker that claims to sound like a standard strat PU and fit the hole without modification but give the benefits of humbucking coils. I think its Di Marzio but do your own search. If you play mainly overdriven sound on one selected PU, putting one in there may resolve your problem.
Here we go; three, four...

Damn-Deal-Done
Orange Expert

Post by Damn-Deal-Done » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:36 am

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:15 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Damn-Deal-Done</i>
<br />http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Cool website thanks dude...:D
Vince

J.W.
Rocker

Post by J.W. » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:28 pm

Shielding with copper foil is the first thing that makes the most difference. Secondly, find REALLY good grounds for your pickups. All the other stuff really is just overkill. I also use an ISP Decimator for when I really crank the volume. It works nicely, as long as you're not playing really high gain stuff (it starts to affect tracking time with SUPER high-gain), but then again, you probably wouldn't be using a strat/single-coils for death metal, hehe. But with blues, rock, and the regular harder stuff, it's the best I've seen and leaves your tone unmolested.

Allardson
Orange Hero

Post by Allardson » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:31 pm

mpisarcik
Orange Master

Post by mpisarcik » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:54 pm

Thanks for the replies guys- I will have to look at this more in depth when i get home from work 8)