Rockerverb 50 squeal

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:48 pm

have you guys tried switching output damping from lo to hi?...i think it should reduce the feedback a bit...
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:19 pm

wrath wrote:have you guys tried switching output damping from lo to hi?...i think it should reduce the feedback a bit...
This squeal (in the original thread) is not feedback, it's a microphonic pre-amp valve. Whereas feedback can be desirable and musical, this is ear-splitting and nasty.

The good news is that you just need to spend a few tens of dollars and it's sorted.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:45 pm

yeah, that is the squeal i got with my 6100 and triamp. my 800 2205 never squeals. my duotone squeals a little too.
Monty

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Well, I was hoping that it's something that I don't have to replace the tubes on because I really, really, like the sound of my RV50. I'm not a "techy" kinda guy either...

Keep in mind folks, this squeal I get when I don't have any volume going into the amp... I'll try to set my RV5 up the same volume and gain wise and unplug my guitar from the amp and see what happens.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

thomasec

Post by thomasec » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:51 pm

CD9266 wrote:Well, I was hoping that it's something that I don't have to replace the tubes on because I really, really, like the sound of my RV50. I'm not a "techy" kinda guy either...

Keep in mind folks, this squeal I get when I don't have any volume going into the amp... I'll try to set my RV5 up the same volume and gain wise and unplug my guitar from the amp and see what happens.
I'm not having the problem when the guitar is unplugged...again, I'll try and post some clips at some point today.

thomasec

Post by thomasec » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:23 pm

Ok, so here are a few soundclips:

Shared Folder

The "Tap Test" goes in order from clean 1, to dirty 1, to dirty 2. This was done on the distortion channel.

The "Rockerverb Gain with LP..." is my Gibson R0 plugged directly into the amp, and you can hear me yell out the gain level immediately before I play at each setting. It starts to "squeal" at around 3 o'clock.

The "Rockerverb increasing gain" is my USA Jazzmaster plugged directly in, with the gain being turned up from 12 o'clock to cranked. You can hear the squealing throughout.

Again, I've tried different sets of pre-amp and power-amp tubes, but nothing seems to work. It DOES sound like it's the pre-amp tube, since the squealing starts to kick in right as it enters the last stage of gain. I've also tried different guitars, different cables, and standing in different positions around the room....doesn't make a difference.

Thanks for all the help with this guys, I really do appreciate it.

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:40 am

3 o clock on the gain is about where mine squeals at. Except as I said, I get mine when my volume is turned down on the guitar. And this is when I've run my amp at around 10-11 o clock with the volume.

When I turn the volume down however, I can crank the gain knob up higher and get really really fluid distortion. I honestly think that when I play louder I'm just going to have to turn down the gain more and more. And also, I think that the RV50 kinda maxes out in loudness at around 10... after that it's just power tube saturation (don't quote me on this, I haven't tested it...)
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:30 am

really?

not to be a dongle-narf but the answer is so obvious. turn the gain down. 3 o'clock in a rocker or rockerverb is an astronomical amount of gain. my 6100 made much more painful noises. its just simple feedback. not the nice kind, but more so like a mic and a pa would make. your gain is too hot. especially with such hot pickups... you will be getting these noises. I would be surprised if you didn't at that amount of gain.
Monty

adamanteus
Orange Hero

Post by adamanteus » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:47 pm

i still don't think it's normal. as mentioned i have tried diming the volume AND gain and have never had this happen. then again i'm playing an SG standard with it's stock 496/490 pickups. BUT, even when i had an older guitar with bare knuckle miracle men, which are SUPER, SUPER hot, i still never had the issue when i tried it for grins.

whether somebody thinks X amount of gain is too much for their particular tastes is non factor. i would contact will at orange tech and ask him about it. it's a free phone call to find out.

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:37 pm

adamanteus wrote:i still don't think it's normal. as mentioned i have tried diming the volume AND gain and have never had this happen. then again i'm playing an SG standard with it's stock 496/490 pickups. BUT, even when i had an older guitar with bare knuckle miracle men, which are SUPER, SUPER hot, i still never had the issue when i tried it for grins.

whether somebody thinks X amount of gain is too much for their particular tastes is non factor. i would contact will at orange tech and ask him about it. it's a free phone call to find out.
Yeah I'm gonna take that step and call Orange USA about it. Cause even when I do not have any signal going to the amp it's still done it without even being dimed.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:55 pm

ok, let me know when the techs at orange make fun of you for not expecting a squeal at 3 o'clock gain.
Monty

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:03 am

I guess amps are naturally supposed to whistle at me when there is no input signal going through...

thomasec

Post by thomasec » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:13 am

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:really?

not to be a d*ck but the answer is so obvious. turn the gain down. 3 o'clock in a rocker or rockerverb is an astronomical amount of gain. my 6100 made much more painful noises. its just simple feedback. not the nice kind, but more so like a mic and a pa would make. your gain is too hot. especially with such hot pickups... you will be getting these noises. I would be surprised if you didn't at that amount of gain.
FYI, the reason I opted for the rockerverb as opposed to the rocker 30 is because the rocker 30 I had didn't have enough gain cranked. And even when it was cranked, the rocker 30 had absolutely NO squealing, and minimal feedback. Did you listen to the clips I posted? I can assure you that's not normal at all.

adamanteus
Orange Hero

Post by adamanteus » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:31 am

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:ok, let me know when the techs at orange make fun of you for not expecting a squeal at 3 o'clock gain.
yeah, you ARE a d*ck.

gotta love the internet though because EVERYONE'S a faceless expert.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:01 am

thomasec wrote:
Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:really?

not to be a d*ck but the answer is so obvious. turn the gain down. 3 o'clock in a rocker or rockerverb is an astronomical amount of gain. my 6100 made much more painful noises. its just simple feedback. not the nice kind, but more so like a mic and a pa would make. your gain is too hot. especially with such hot pickups... you will be getting these noises. I would be surprised if you didn't at that amount of gain.
FYI, the reason I opted for the rockerverb as opposed to the rocker 30 is because the rocker 30 I had didn't have enough gain cranked. And even when it was cranked, the rocker 30 had absolutely NO squealing, and minimal feedback. Did you listen to the clips I posted? I can assure you that's not normal at all.
yeah i listened to the clips. did you read my posts? my 6100 made the same noises. I even took it to jerry at fja mods for a retube and rebias. The problem continued. amps just do that when you run that much gain.

also how can there not be enough gain on the rocker 30? i play a lot of melodic metal and 2 o'clock was more than enough.

ps. adam (i assume your name is), I may be coming off as a dongle-narf because I can't get over the fact that if a person invests 2k on any product, they should at least know the basics.

i am meaning to come off as an internet wise guy, but i feel that half the people on this board bought an orange amp as a status symbol and not as an educated decision.
Monty